Grunt11's Training Log

Today’s workout:

Flat Bench Press 190 lbs x 1, 180 lbs x 20 M-Time

Supported DB Row 65 lbs x 13 +4 +4 +4

Overhead Shrug 180 x 10 straight set

Cable Pullover 55 lbs x 13 +4 +4 +4

Reverse EZ-Bar Curls 55 lbs x 13 +3 +3

BB Shrugs 195 x 8 +3

Felt great today, I sure hope yesterday was an aberration. I think I need to stop tinkering with my pre-workout nutrition since what I started with has been working great and everything else I’ve tried seems to leave me feeling weaker.

Bench Press was surprisingly easy, especially considering how tight my Pecks and Triceps are from yesterdays Flyes and Triceps Extensions. I figured by now I would have to shift those to a day earlier in the cycle by now to allow sufficient recovery for my bench but I will keep working Pecks and Triceps every day as long as I can.

I have no doubt I could have bested my 1RM of 200 lbs on the Bench from last cycle but I don’t want to rush. I stopped doing concentric first and switched back to normal to make sure I’m dialed in as the weights get heavier.

Lost the bar at 10 reps on the Overhead Shrugs. I think I’m going to stick with the same weight until I can get to at least 15 reps will controlling the bar.

Cable Pullovers are still kicking my butt. I may move them to the end of the routine because they leave me so winded.

Couldn’t maintain my grip on the shrugs, but at least I could lift the bar unlike yesterday. I’ll have to see how I do on BB Calf Raises on Wednesday after a full day off any grip training. If my grip comes back I’ll just have to face I need more time off for it to recover and adjust accordingly. May also re-arrange the order of the Reverse Curls and Shrugs.

Why not use straps for shrugs (or a hook grip, if you don't want to use straps)? There's not a lot of point in only half training your traps or calves because your grip fails. If your gym allows it, lifting chalk will aid your natural grip a lot too.

I’ve been meaning to buy chalk when I go back to Play-it-Again-Sports but just being lazy. I may end up having to use straps but would prefer not to, I wouldn’t even be using a lifting belt if it wasn’t for the ruptured lumbar disk. However, I may just have to accept reality.

Today’s workout:

Full Squat 255 lbs x 1 235 lbs x 5 M-Time (Failed on #6)

Dips BW (164 lbs) +25 x 15 M-Time

Incline DB Curls 27.5 lbs x 14 +3 +3 +3

Incline DB Shoulder Press 45 lbs x 11 +3 +3 +3

DB Preacher Curls 25 lbs x 12 +3 +3 +3

Leaning DB Lateral Raises 20 lbs x 13 +4 +4 +4

Well after besting my 1RM from last cycle I had an epic fail on the 6th rep of Squats. While coming back up I felt an intense pop in the core of my body and simultaneous loss of stability. Didn’t even think to try and save the rep, just dumped the bar. When I finished standing up I looked down and saw my lifting belt laying at my feet with the roller blown clean out of it. Scared the crap out of me but no damage as far as I can tell.

Improved by 5 reps on the Dips from last time at this weight.

I seem to have figured out how to do Curls w/o any pain in my left arm now so the remainder of the workout was thankfully uneventful.

Last edited:
Well after besting my 1RM from last cycle I had an epic fail on the 6th rep of Squats. While coming back up I felt an intense pop in the core of my body and simultaneous loss of stability. Didn’t even think to try and save the rep, just dumped the bar. When I finished standing up I looked down and saw my lifting belt laying at my feet with the roller blown clean out of it. Scared the crap out of me but no damage as far as I can tell.

Dam glad that story didn't head in the direction I thought it was going! Scary

Today’s Workout:

Wide Grip Pull Ups BW(164 lbs) +30 x 7
Parallel Grip Pull Ups BW(164 lbs) +30 x 7
Close Grip Chin Ups BW(164 lbs) +30 x 7

Leg Curls 77.5 lbs x 12 +3 +3 +3

Incline DB Flyes 27.5 lbs x 15 +4 +4 +4

Leg Extensions 100 lbs x 20 +5 +4 +4

Overhead DB Triceps Extensions 25 x 10 +2 +2 +1

BB Calf Raises 295 lbs x 30

I’m not sure why but for the last three weeks my Pull/Chin ups are stronger in the second workout of the week than the first so I was able to do Wide and Parallel Grip again this time rather than just Close Grip Chins. Not complaining I just don’t get it.

Since I need to buy I new lifting belt after yesterday’s blowout I finally broke down and got some chalk. Grip held out on the Calf Raises until my Calves gave out. Probably could have stood there holding the bar for the rest of the day or at least until my arms went numb. At least I won’t be needing straps any time soon.

Dam glad that story didn't head in the direction I thought it was going!
Me too Dix.

Later I was wondering what sort of looks I would have gotten if I dumped a bar like that in a gym rather than at home. I’ve gone down and got stuck, just setting the bar on the safety bars but never dumped one like that before.

Dam glad that story didn't head in the direction I thought it was going! Scary

Yeah, you don't often get to read about a herniated belt...

Dumping a bar in the squat rack makes for a horrendous clang! Then you get to unload the plates, one by one, with everybody watching.

I just reload the bar and do it all again. I suppose if you've never had to dump the bar it means you've never tried challenging yourself sufficiently.

Nice squat PR. Your total keeps moving up.

Yeah, you don't often get to read about a herniated belt...
Nice way to put it. ;)

I just reload the bar and do it all again. I suppose if you've never had to dump the bar it means you've never tried challenging yourself sufficiently.
I’ve had to get out from under the bar on many occasions just usually more gracefully by leaning back and setting it down gently. But never from a couple feet up.

Nice squat PR. Your total keeps moving up.
I guess I should consider it a PR since I never use to do Full Squats.

Today’s workout:

Flat Bench Press 205 lbs x 1 185 lbs x 15 M-Time

Supported DB Rows 65 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

Overhead Shrugs 185 lbs x 10 straight set

Cable Pullovers 55 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +2

Reverse EZ-bar Curls 35 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

BB Shrugs 320 lbs x 20 straight set

Bested my 1RM on last cycle’s Bench Press by 5 lbs before doing my working set. Wasn’t sure if I should make the 20 lbs jump on the bench but it went up easier than I expected.

I reset the weight on the Reverse Curls because I started cheating to bring the weight up.

I incremented the Shrugs by 25 lbs instead of the usual 10 both because of a missed increment due to earlier grip failure and to prepare for later improving my 1RM on the Dead Lift.

Otherwise uneventful. Hopefully no wardrobe malfunctions on Saturday’s Dead Lifts. ;)

congrats on the PB mate! i switched to flat bench from DBs. cant wait to get into em
Thanks Oz, looking forward to reading about your progress.

Today’s workout:

Dead Lift 295 lbs x 1, 320 lbs x fail, 285 lbs x fail, 275 lbs x 1, 265 lbs x 9 M-Time +

Overhead Shrug 185 lbs x 15 straight set

Leg Curls 77.5 lbs x 10 +3 +2

Shrugs 305 lbs x 20 straight set

Leg Extensions 105 lbs x 20 +5 +4

Calf Raises 305 lbs x 20 straight set

Piss poor Dead Lifting today. After doing a rep 10 lbs above my working weight for the day I thought I’d attempt to best my 1RM from last cycle. Didn’t happen so I dropped back down to 285 lbs, the working weight for today and that wasn’t happening now either. Barely managed to get one rep for 275 lbs and had to drop down to 265 lbs just to finish out 10.

I think, or at least hope, I know what happened. On both Wednesday and Thursday I had some spare time at work and went out jogging 4 miles each day. I also don’t think I adjusted my nutrition enough to account for the extra calories burned. I’m hoping it was the combination of those that kicked my but today, if so at least I learned that I shouldn’t go jogging when the weights are getting heavy.

Just in case that wasn’t it I decided now was as good a time as any to rearrange my exercises to conform more closely to a Legs/Pull/Push split. Now most body parts will only get worked 2-4 times a week rather than 4-6.

Last edited:
Yup, that'll do it. And failing on a max single attempt can burn you out, so no surprise you couldn't do your working weight anymore after that. Last time I attempted a new max I failed halfway up then couldn't even do one rep when I dropped back by like 100 lbs. It sucks. Hope your back and legs feel ok tomorrow!

Today’s workout:

Wide Grip Pull Ups BW (164 lbs) x 10 all M-Time
Parallel Grip Pull Ups BW (164 lbs) x 10
Close Grip Chin Ups BW (164 lbs) + 25 x 10

Supported DB Row 65 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

Reverse EZ-Bar Curl 35 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

Incline DB Curl 25 lbs x 11 +3 +2

Cable Pullover 44 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

DB Preacher Curls 20 lbs x 15 +4 +4 +3

I reduced the weight on my Pull/Chin Ups because I’ve caught myself kipping and not doing a full range of motion.

I also reduced the weight most of the isolation exercises since they are all now on the same day and not being worked in with the pushing exercises like before.

Totentanz said:
It sucks. Hope your back and legs feel ok tomorrow!

Last night my whole back chain from neck to calves felt it, but after working out this morning everything feels great . . . until tonight I’m guessing.

I got a couple good validations of my progress yesterday. It was warm out so I wore one of my running (sleeveless) shirts over to my dads house for the first time since I started working out. As soon as I walked in he says “Oh my god you have been working out.” I reminded him that I am only about 9 lbs heavier (164 vs 155) than my average weight for the last 7 years and he said “you sure have redistributed it well.” I usually wear oversized shirts since they keep me cooler in the AZ heat.

The second one came when I stopped to get gas on the way home. The three girls at the next pump were seriously checking me out. Kind of made the fail on the Dead Lift earlier seem less important.

I did get a strange look at Walmart when I checked out with 10 tubs of cottage cheese, 10 quarts of liquid egg whites and 4 bags of chicken breasts.

Today’s workout:

Flat Bench Press 210 lbs x 1 190 lbs x 14 M-Time

Dips BW (165 lbs) x 20 M-Time

Incline DB Shoulder Press 20 lbs x 10, 30 lbs x 10, 40 lbs x 13 +4 +3

Leaning DB Lateral Raises 15 lbs x 12 +4 +4 +4

Incline DB Flye 20 x 15 +5 +5 +5

Overhead DB Triceps Extensions 15 lbs x 10, 20 lbs x 8 +4 +3

Added another 5 lbs to my 1RM Bench from last cycle. 190 lbs x 14 is also a big improvement over 190 lbs x 4 which I did on the last Bench day of last cycle after doing the 200 lbs x 1RM. I also skipped the Dips the last time at this weight.

I dropped the weight on all the other exercises to account for doing all the pushing movements on the same day now. I will start working them back up again.

Not sure if I’ll continue but I also started doing more sets of the isolation exercises on my way up to the working weight. I did it in part to determine what working weights to use but also just to get in more reps now that I have 2-3 days off between similar sessions.

I was beat after today’s workout but it felt just about perfect.

GREAT PR, G11! 201 for a single at +5 over your last one is outstanding progress. Excellent work in all your other lifts, especially given the fatigue from your last deadlift session.

well done again mate. you guys will get there hey. bench is just another lift. i remember when i couldnt even do 100lbs!

Today’s Workout:

Full Squat 260 lbs x 1, 245 lbs x 5, 225 x 10

Overhead Shrug Skipped

Leg Curl 75 lbs x 14 +2 +2 +2

Leg Extensions 115 lbs x 17 +5 +4

BB Shrugs 135 lbs x 20, 225 lbs x 20, 315 lbs x 20

Superset with

BB Calf Raises 135 lbs x 20, 225 lbs x 20, 315 x 20

Added 5 lbs more to my 1RM Squat from last Squat session and 10 lbs total to last cycle’s 1RM. I only did 5 for 245 lbs, today’s working weight as the last rep was a close one. However, it’s still an improvement over last cycle where my working weight toped out at 235 lbs and my 1RM was 250 lbs. To get more TUT I finished out with 10 more reps at 225 lbs.

Just didn’t feel like doing the Overhead Shrugs today, no particular reason.

I superset the Calf Raises and Shrugs doing the 135 lbs and 225 lbs warm-ups back to back w/o stopping Calf Raises first. I did the working sets with a slight break between them. Went real slow on the Calf Raises now that my grip is no longer the issue. I was rushing them a bit previously to finish before my grip gave out.

Now I just have to get my Dead Lift improving again. I’ll have to try the top down method being discussed.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! Posting my log here really does make it feel like having workout partners or a coach watching and helps keep me motivated to improve each time.

@Dix + _tim I really feel that using Max-stim and Myo-reps is helping me manage my fatigue better than ever before. I was never able to progress this fast 15 years ago. I’m sure proper nutrition is also a key factor, something I didn’t appreciate enough before.

@TR + Oz Funny because I’ve always felt that the Bench Press is my weakest lift. Though I am approaching my best weights from 15 years ago which was 225 lbs x 2.

Maxing a single and then still managing 5 reps with a weight that isn't much lower (~6%) is no mean feat in itself. And you improved over last cycle! That's excellent.

Back