Guess who's back, back again.

And if you stay on long enough then your body also produces more androgen receptors as well, so...
That makes sense. It’s the same as what my doc told me would happen with the anti-anxiety meds I was on. That they would reset my bodies “normal” baseline and I might not need them anymore. So far he seems to have been right since coming off of them I don’t get tension headaches when I go to crowded places anymore.

Oh my! I popped in here to log my pitiful efforts and saw you'd updated your log so decided to check it out. Glad I did!

I almost spat my tea all over my computer screen! Those are some darned good lifts. Big congrats from me: for your sheer dedication to the task in hand as much as for the lifts themselves. After all, it's all the hard work leading up to the PRs that makes the PRs possible.

Scanned a few of your other recent posts. Re muscular size vs strength levels: it is not that unusual for a person to have better leverages than average, around some of their joints; and conversely, someone else may have poorer lever arms than average. This is bound to affect the size/strength relationship between individuals. You have to assume that your leverages are pretty good if you are a good deal stronger but not much larger than other lifters at your gym. Genetics and training your CNS to deal with heavy loads definitely play a part. Then there's the natural amount of tissue and shape of the muscle bellies themselves. Genetics again.

If you're using Casey Butt's Maximum Drug-Free Bodybuilding Potential Calculator and are at the max sizes that the calculator spits out then you probably look a whole lot better than you think you do. :)

This is how things play out for me using Mr Butt's calcs:

Height: 70 in, Wrist: 7.25 in, Ankle: 8.5 in

The estimated maximum muscular measurements (@ ~8%-10% bodyfat) are:

Chest: 48.3 in, Biceps: 17.9 in, Forearms: 14.2 in,
Neck: 17.7 in, Thighs: 26 in, Calves: 17.1 in

It doesn't tell me what bw I would be at these numbers. My bf levels are around 12% at the moment and I'm weighing in at ~185lb. My bis are around 16", thighs are about 23.5", forearms almost 13". (These are all when cold and unpumped.) I'm down a fair amount in all areas. I think if I had good enough genes to ever make it to Casey's predicted possible measurements I'd look 'large-ish' with shirt off, but still pretty small with shirt on.

Interested to know what the calc says for someone your size, and where you have the most/least potential for gains?

Last edited:
The calculator I found gives a predicted weight at 8% bodyfat. I have it in a spreadsheet, not really sure where I found it, as I've had it for years.

Here is what it suggest for me at 8% bodyfat -
Maximum weight: 212.6 lbs
Chest: 49.9 inches
Biceps: 18
Forearms: 14.4
Neck: 17.6
Thighs: 26.4
Calves: 17.7

My actual measurements are:
Chest: 45.25
Biceps: 17
Forearms: 14.5
Neck: 16.75
Thighs: 27.25
Calves: 17.75
And that is at 230-235 ish @ around 13%

Running the numbers, according the calculator, I can expect to get to about 195 lbs of lean mass, and going by what I am at, I'm around 200 lbs of lean mass, so I'm assuming since these are all estimations that you can give or take 5lbs over or under, so that I can expect to get around 200 lbs of lean mass and I am currently at that, so I probably won't gain much more without seeking chemical assistance. I would like to gain that last four or five inches on my chest and I would like to get my arms up to 18 inches or at least close. Everything else can stay the same.

Last edited:
Wrist: 7.25 in, Ankle: 8.5 in

holy crap my wrist is 6.7 and ankle is 9.85. if you get only a little bigger bicep than your calve then what it's gonna be like for me? bb aesthetic physique lol would calves bigger than arms on 1 inch look that bad? I know I might not ever reach the maximum potential but the proportions will still be around the same

Hey Totz,
Just popped in after a prolonged absence from the site and read the last couple pages of this thread. A few thoughts:

You are doing really well and your numbers are impressive.

You might add some size if you now drop to 70% 1RM and get 50 reps 2x/wk (roughly) on some of the money compounds. How you get them doesn't really matter as long as you try to stay in the 6-12 rep range. (10,10,8,8,7,7 is what usually happens for me). It can be hard to change gears mentally from what you've been doing but you should see results rather quickly if calories are on.

I love 3 way splits, after trying many versions I realized that Yates set his up the way he did for good reason (regardless of whether you use his style or not the programming works well for overlap and recovery.)

Superdrol, Hdrol, Epi, etc. are legal, cheap and incredibly effective....

BTW - good to "see" you again!

Last edited:
Hey, good to see you back around Russ. I actually ran Superdrol once for a couple weeks a long long time ago, I would prefer to get into the "real stuff" if I'm going to play with chemical enhancement again but I'd also prefer to keep that off this board... Obviously if I want to get much more growth at this point, however, I'm going to have to look at some things.

I'm really enjoying my three way split but I think I'll give a shot toward what you recommended with the 50 reps thing. I've been doing 30 reps or so twice a week on some of the compounds the last couple weeks and even doing some really high volume stuff instead of the myoreps for a few muscle groups... I'm talking like 50-70 reps with 12 RM, and I've definitely seen some swelling which I'm sure is sarcoplasmic but I'll increase the load a bit and keep it at 50 reps and see what happens.
What does Yates split look like? I think I'll have to go do some reading...

I did 50 reps on assisted chins... Thought I was doing 180 lbs but I was reading the stack wrong, it was only subtracting 14 lbs and I weighed in at 240 that day, so I guess I did 50 reps with like 225 lbs. My lats got a pump unlike any I have experienced in a long time. It is rare I get any kind of a pump in my lats. That was Thursday, today they are still very sore... Wow. My biceps felt like they were going to explode too.

Uh oh! If that was 50 continuous chins @ 225, I'm going to cut my chinning bar up into small bits and eat them for breakfast!

No no, don't worry... This was clustered with 10 - 15 breaths between clusters. Here is what I did, from my log:
17, 14, 9, 7, 3

I could probably have done more the first cluster but I was trying to conserve my energy. Chinups really wipe me out for some reason.

Yeah but deadlifts also wipe me out. Usually after a good set of deadlifts, I collapse into one of the big thick chairs the gym has, covering it in sweat in the process, and just sit there, totally spaced out, spending several minutes trying to remember what reality is.

I wouldnt say 'fun'. but yeah, agreed, a great exercise - just not for me. I cant get them right, and have had lower back issues in the past (not from deadlifting) so I avoid them now.

Brix

I’m guessing your lower back issues aren’t the type helped by Deadlifting? I ask because I have a ruptured lumbar disk (work related) which made me shy away from Deadlifts, SLDL etc. . . . However, once I started Deadlifting all my lower back pain and sciatica which were almost constant are now gone. I can even sit and watch movies or play video games for days without any sign of pain. If I’d have known that 5 years ago I could have saved myself 5 years on near constant low to moderate pain.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say 'fun'. but yeah, agreed, a great exercise - just not for me. I cant get them right, and have had lower back issues in the past (not from deadlifting) so I avoid them now.

Brix

I'd agree with G11 that deads really do help persistent back issue in many cases - but if your issues are such that your back issues compromise your ability to do them correctly, it's probably not the best idea to do 'em. One thing you possibly could try are very, VERY light stiff legged deadlifts (SLDL's). The form there is very straightforward, and as someone who has had interesting back issues at times, I can honestly say that light SLDL work has fixed my back issues every single time.

Apologies for the hijack, Tot.

Yeah, my back issue was a prolapsed disc. It 'fixed' with physio and massage very quickly (weeks) and I am quite happy with it.
One of the reasons for the disc problems, I was told by my physio, is that I'm tall (6'1") heavy (270lb) am in a car (bad posture) a lot, and do weight bearing exercise, which tied in with my age (40) all put my spine under stress. The actual prolapse was triggered during a 'roll around' on the floor (I'm a British cop. We dont have guns, we have to fight people that dont like us!)

Once I was back in the gym, although I was told I could, starting slowly and carefully, obviously, return to my previous exercises.
I became very wary of squats (which I love) and deads. I used to do SLDL too, but have always found them - once I started using any decent weight - a strain on my lower back. I'm sure its an issue with form, but I just dont want to cause any more lower back issues. It just isnt worth it, in my opinion.

Are deads harder for taller people?

Anyway, yeah, sorry Totz. This is your thread. Good luck with the deads!

Brix

Are deads harder for taller people?
As a rule yes because they have to lift the bar farther than short people. However, in most cases body proportions dictate which people have to bend over farther which puts more strain on the lower back. You could try Deadlifting Sumo style since you don’t have to bend over as far so it transfers some of the load off the lower back and to the legs (hamstrings in particular) and the glutes. You could also try doing rack pulls since that way you don’t have to bend over as much either.

Last edited:
I am 6'1 and actually find deads to be actually one of the easiest exercises for me. But I am built in such a way that I am good at pulling. Squats are significantly harder than deads for me, and I have to have a weird stance for squats compared to most. I struggle with benching as a result of my proportions. I guess if you have shorter arms comparatively than I do then it might be different. I mean, not all tall people are proportioned exactly the same.

Yeah, I have long limbs, and body. So yeah, I do have further to travel on most exercises. I did have to work very hard on my form for squatting (years ago now) but as a result of that early work, my squats have always been an effective exercise - for me.
I have looked at the sumo deadlift, I wasnt convinced it would work my legs as well as squats though, due to the smaller rom?

Sounds like you have relatively longer arms than average which is always going to be a benefit for deads over squats. It would also explain why benching is tougher for you as longer arms will increase your ROM. Your bench is still pretty good though. Can you front squat more than you can bench?

I am 6'1 and actually find deads to be actually one of the easiest exercises for me. But I am built in such a way that I am good at pulling. Squats are significantly harder than deads for me, and I have to have a weird stance for squats compared to most. I struggle with benching as a result of my proportions. I guess if you have shorter arms comparatively than I do then it might be different. I mean, not all tall people are proportioned exactly the same.

Back