Gym pet peeves

Dvst8or

I didn't see an anything goes section here so I wasn't sure where to post this. Maybe there isn't a place for this here in this forum but I just thought that I would vent a little and see what other people dislike when they are at the gym.

I am in the military so all gyms on base are free to me and they are usually pretty good. So until I retire from the Air Force I will not be investing in a home gym.

But I figured that in this thread people could post their biggest frustrations and pet peeves they have at public gyms.

One of my biggest, and I seem to be running into this more often lately, is people using the power rack to do bicep curls. I mean seriously what are they worried about dropping the weight or something!? Get out of the power rack so that I can do my squats for godsake!

Sorry just thought that I would vent.
biggrin.gif

What gets on your nerves the most?

Curls at a power rack is somewhat common... Here are some other things that bother me...

I was at a college gym for years (just graduated) and little freshman would clog up the benches because that's all they know (that and curls). Also, for any gym, January and February suck because of all the New Year's Resolution peeps.

I pay them all back when I do deadlifts and they give me weird and frightened looks.
wow.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Curls at a power rack is somewhat common... </div>
I know thats what disturbs me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was at a college gym for years (just graduated) and little freshman would clog up the benches because that's all they know (that and curls).  </div>

Yea there is a guy here that does nothing but smith machine flat bench.  No curls, no back, no presses, nothing else, just flat bench smith.  He does like eleventy billion sets of them.  Oh yea and the bar never gets any closer than 1ft from his chest on the way down.  Did I mention that he is skinney as a rail?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I pay them all back when I do deadlifts and they give me weird and frightened looks.
wow.gif
</div>
Nice.  
biggrin.gif

Farting...the noisy ones are permissible, but the silent and deadly ones must be stopped.  Sometimes the smell in the gym is so disgusting it makes me want to kick someone's ass.  Oh, wait...I forgot I workout in my own gym....alone...  
tounge.gif

When I do curls I make use of my squat rack.  It's just easier to lift the weight up and start curling it instead of bending over and grabbing it from the floor.  Hey it's my gym and i'm the only one in there so no complaints !

*people who leave dumbbells laying around the floor instead of putting them back on the rack when they are through.

*people who stand right in front of and practically against the dumbbell rack while doing their exercise, blocking everyone else from retrieving or returning dumbbells for the duration of their set.

*people who use a bench or other equipment as a SHELF for their water bottle, towel, or whatever else they have with them, giving the false impression that said bench is IN USE.

Ahhhh...the freedom of my own home gym, farting...yelling...grunting, all is good, top this up with some heavy weight, for me at least and its a gas!

From what I can remember of public gyms...its the bench hogging, and the wimpy music...that is a turn off for sure!
wink.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 06 2007,19:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wimp music.</div>
Thank you mp3 player.

i hate it when someone you dont know comes upto you and asks if you are on gear.i trained for years naturally,and was asked several times.i turn to them and explain to them taht ive trained hard for years to get where i am and they just shut up turn away.they train for a week and expect to grow like weeds.

although i have recently done a cycle
biggrin.gif

Colby, I feel ya on the school gyms. I worked at ours as well, and laughed at the attendance difference from December to January. But hey, glad at least some of those people will actually stick with it. Spring Break is another busy time, because people seem to think they are going to get that &quot;spring break bod&quot; by working out for a week.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 07 2007,12:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby, I feel ya on the school gyms. I worked at ours as well, and laughed at the attendance difference from December to January. But hey, glad at least some of those people will actually stick with it. Spring Break is another busy time, because people seem to think they are going to get that &quot;spring break bod&quot; by working out for a week.</div>
Yeah... all the way up to Spring Break, then it dies back down to normal. At least I am done with the school gyms, but the &quot;New Year's resolutionists&quot; will never go away. I can't wait till I have a home gym.

Icars: I love it when someone I dont know comes up to me and asks if I'm on gear. Heh, the few times that has happened I gave the same answer as you, but was happy someone thought I looked good enough to rate the question.

Yeah, what annoys me about gyms?...people, anybody in my way. I like to workout alone and hog all the equipment.
If there is anybody in the gym when I get there, I will shoot them*.

(*home gym
biggrin.gif
)

chicks doing bench press with 10 pound dumbbells b/c they're afraid that if they train hard &amp; heavy, they'll end up looking like Nicole Bass

<div>
(lcars @ Jun. 07 2007,12:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i hate it when someone you dont know comes upto you and asks if you are on gear.</div>
Funny how that never happens to me...hmmm, I wonder why?
laugh.gif

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ Jun. 07 2007,02:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">*people who leave dumbbells laying around the floor instead of putting them back on the rack when they are through.  

*people who stand right in front of and practically against the dumbbell rack while doing their exercise, blocking everyone else from retrieving or returning dumbbells for the duration of their set.

*people who use a bench or other equipment as a SHELF for their water bottle, towel, or whatever else they have with them, giving the false impression that said bench is IN USE.</div>
Man I feel your pain on every one of those.

I also hate it when people leave the bar or equipment loaded. I mean its not that I can't lift the 100 lb plates it just annoys me that I have to take the time to take them off and put on my weight. What is so hard about returning the weights to where you got them from?

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Jun. 07 2007,19:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">chicks doing bench press with 10 pound dumbbells b/c they're afraid that if they train hard &amp; heavy, they'll end up looking like Nicole Bass</div>
and it not just girls, guys use that excuse, &quot;Oh, I don't want to squat or anything like that, I don't want to get big and bulky.&quot; Yeah, as if it's so easy to get big. Silly me, just do squats for a few weeks and you'll get huge.

<div>
(liegelord @ Jun. 07 2007,21:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Slapshotz @ Jun. 07 2007,19:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">chicks doing bench press with 10 pound dumbbells b/c they're afraid that if they train hard &amp; heavy, they'll end up looking like Nicole Bass</div>
and it not just girls, guys use that excuse, &quot;Oh, I don't want to squat or anything like that, I don't want to get big and bulky.&quot;  Yeah, as if it's so easy to get big. Silly me, just do squats for a few weeks and you'll get huge.</div>
The ole &quot;i dont wanna get like arnie or anything &quot; WTF?

@quad,you do have a point
biggrin.gif

It's always been my goal as a natural...for people to think I'm not. Sort of a badge of accomplishment if you look at it right.

Another pet peeve that makes me enjoy my home gym: People not wiping off their hair grease or SWEAT! Who wants to lay in that ?

Back