Hello all! ...General HST Routine Question

Ironman

Hi I just joined the forum, just wanna say hi and introduce myself...then milk you guys for some info
tounge.gif
Im 22 from NYC, currently 230lbs and 18% bf and on the way down. Ive been powerlifting for a number of years and bodybuilding before that but lately Ive been thinking that ill take a break from setting world records and just concentrate on leaning up and gaining muscle instead...it looks better and is healthier overall...thats where HST comes in.
Now for the question: I read the HST articles but im still not too sure about how the program looks for full mesocycle...say 10 weeks. Do you start at 15RM and simply work your way down every 2 weeks to 5RM by the 10th week as is linear periodization?? Is the routine pretty much based on full body workouts 3x a week? Is there anywhere where I could view a sample of the workout for a full mesocycle?

-Thanks

Hey Ironman  :)

Hmmm... ok, since you've read the HST articles as you said, this should just be quick...  ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you start at 15RM and simply work your way down every 2 weeks to 5RM by the 10th week as is linear periodization??

The basic package (what HST newbies are recommended to do) separates the whole cycle into different phases or "rep maxes": 2 weeks for 15RM, 2 weeks for 10RM, 2 weeks for 5RM, and then 2 weeks for negatives or simply your absolute 5 rep max. This makes the workout cycle 8 weeks long.

As stated in the HST articles, just get your rep maxes (15, 10, etc .) and assign those weights to the last workout of the 2-week phase they belong to, then from those weights you decrement as applicable (whether 5 or 10 lbs, or 5 or 10%) After that, just like magic, you have your schedule for the entire cycle already!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Is the routine pretty much based on full body workouts 3x a week?

Yes (referring to the basic package). But as you'll find out eventually, HST allows for so much flexibility and customization, but while you are just beginning HST, do the basic package first. It will save you a lot of confusion and frustration.  :)

Hope this helps, regards and good luck!  :)
-JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Aug. 03 2005,10:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
As stated in the HST articles, just get your rep maxes (15, 10, etc .) and assign those weights to the last workout of the 2-week phase they belong to, then from those weights you decrement as applicable (whether 5 or 10 lbs, or 5 or 10%) After that, just like magic, you have your schedule for the entire cycle already!
[
All I did was find my 15 rep max and made the whole HST calculator on that info. The icrement calculation I used was @ 5%, which brought everything from the compounds to isolation in line well.

Ok thanks, that pretty much clears things up. I have just one more question regarding exercises and sets: How many exercises do you choose per bodybart each workout and how many sets per exercise? On the sample workout it was 2 sets each is that written in stone or is it kinda flexible? Im currently on a cycle of Equipoise only so id imagine my recovering ability is somewhat enhanced. Also, how many different exercise groupings per 2 week period..2? And do I change these groupings every 2 week 'rep max' or do I stay with the same groupings (and exercises) throughout the 8 weeks?
So would this be a good 8 week training cycle (looking at the bench only):
*d/e = different exercise
Week 1: Mon - 225x15; Wed - (d/e); Fri - 235x15
Week 2: Mon - d/e; Wed - 245x15 (15RM); Fri - d/e
Week 3: Mon - 235x10; Wed - d/e; Fri - 245x10
Week 4: Mon - d/e; Wed - 255x10 (10RM); Fri - d/e
Week 5: Mon - 255x5; Wed - d/e; Fri - 265x5
Week 6: Mon - d/e; Wed - 275x5 (5RM); Fri - d/e
Week 7: Mon - 275xneg; Wed - d/e; Fri - 285xneg
Week 8: Mon - d/e; Wed - 295xneg; Fri- d/e

Hey Ironman :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]On the sample workout it was 2 sets each is that written in stone or is it kinda flexible?

Pretty flexible actually, but the best recommendation for you right now is to do a few basic HST cycles first (meaning no customizations yet) until you get the hang of it and understand its principles better, then experiment with it as you like, as long as you make sure you still follow HST principles.

However, if you find that 2 sets per exercise hardly tire you at all, you can increase the volume. Just be sure to monitor your fatigue levels properly so you can train frequently without hassle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, how many different exercise groupings per 2 week period..2? And do I change these groupings every 2 week 'rep max' or do I stay with the same groupings (and exercises) throughout the 8 weeks?

For small muscle groups, like biceps, just do one exercise.
For large muscle groups,like chest, do two exercises.

Effectively, your workout should consist of the core lifts for almost everything but the arms (like bench, dips, chins/lat pulldowns, squats, etc.). Then just add some isolation exercises you want, like incline hammer curls and skullcrushers (lying triceps extensions).

You can alternate the exercises if you want throughout the cycle, you don't have to stick to the same exercise until you finish the 8 weeks. Just make sure the progression of load is ok.

Regards,
-JV

Back