Help a training addict stand the SD!

Sniggel

Aargghh!
12 days feels like an eternity when you previously trained 4-7 days a week for a long time. I just feel like I must go somewhere and lift up a small tree or a big rock!
mad.gif

I must stand this SD period so I can make sure I didn't do it too short!
Do you guys have any tips I could do to forget about (heavy) training for a while? Just to keep me motivated to stay away from the gym?
biggrin.gif

In future why not try to coordinate SD with some other fun activity or holiday/break from the norm? Time flies when you're having fun.
smile.gif

FYI, ( I am 40 ) I have tried 2 SD´s and they did nothing for me. I have trained at least 3 x a week for the last 4 months with no stagnation (I am not doing light weights either). Instead of SD I simply drop the load for a week to about 60% my 5 RMs.

The only thing SD did for me was maked me tired and I hate feeling tired.

YMMV

Lol and dr pierre
I remember I did a SD before when I didnt know what SD was, I was on vacation with some friends for a week or two (with lots of light physical activities) and when i got back to the gym I was stronger and started growing again.
I really want to do a by-the-book-SD so I know if it works for me or not. I just need to find something fun to do instead (I have been unemployed since June so it can be quite boring at times).
Luckily my GF started training when we got together so I can follow her to the gym and help her with her training (She is going to do HST later too
smile.gif
)

Pierre is right, you dont need to SD. How long were you training continously before you started? were you still getting bigger, stronger? Were your joints sore?

<div>
(style @ Oct. 25 2006,11:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Pierre is right, you dont need to SD. How long were you training continously before you started? were you still getting bigger, stronger? Were your joints sore?</div>
if its his first HST cycle i would say he does need to sd.
otherwise the submax weights will have no benefit.

<div>
(style @ Oct. 25 2006,12:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Pierre is right, you dont need to SD. How long were you training continously before you started? were you still getting bigger, stronger? Were your joints sore?</div>
Training continously for about 3 months, with 4-7 days a week, the last 4 weeks I did very low reps (3-6), high weights and fewer days per week (1-3 days / week).

I dont know if I reached a plateu or not since I trained to do 1RM maxes and only tried them 2-3 times and quit training after that. I never tried going back to &quot;working weights&quot; after my 1RMs

Also: My joints felt perfectly fine, they usually do.

''if its his first HST cycle i would say he does need to sd.
otherwise the submax weights will have no benefit.''

Even with a 14 day SD, the sub max weights will probably have no hypertrophic benefit!

If his joints are fine and hes feeling good Id keep going.
I like to keep the cycle going for as long as possible. Whether you wont to take some time off is another matter, I like to take a week off occassionally but since I only train every 3 days now I see no reason to stop. I love it
biggrin.gif

This is roughly how I have trained

month 1: high volume (5-7 days), heavy weigths 6 reps 3 sets most exercises
month 2: like month 1 but slightly heavier weigths because of progression
end of month 2, month 3: volume decreases slowly as weights are ramped up (3 reps 3 sets) and at the end of month 3 volume is low, 2-3 days per week with near 1RM weights for 1-3 reps and very few exercises (all my maxes were done here)
Present: Rested 2 days then did one warmup set for bench and 3 sets with 1 rep each (trying my max again), then rested until now  
biggrin.gif

The above is taken from my memory but I think it is fairly accurate.

<div>
(style @ Oct. 25 2006,14:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">''if its his first HST cycle i would say he does need to sd.
otherwise the submax weights will have no benefit.''

Even with a 14 day SD, the sub max weights will probably have no hypertrophic benefit!

If his joints are fine and hes feeling good Id keep going.
I like to keep the cycle going for as long as possible. Whether you wont to take some time off is another matter, I like to take a week off occassionally but since I only train every 3 days now I see no reason to stop. I love it  
biggrin.gif
</div>
style there may be some argument for deloading instead of sding..but imo after 4wks of heavy 5s i think deloading will not give the CNS the break it needs sd will IMO.
even bryan takes an sd read his thread 15s kicked my butt.(i think).
but i must dissagree on this statement.
(quote)

if that is the case then the submax weights on 10s and 5s will also be of no benefit because they are also submax
rock.gif
so why dont we all just do HIT no submax weights there.
we all know that one of the main factors for hypertrophy is progressive load and the 15s are part of the progressive load,and if you take nine days where you have done no lifting at all, to lifting submax 15s is that not also progression.
there are many people on this site including myself who have gained during the 15s imo due to sd.
if you have any evidence that submax weights do not help with hypertrophy i would like to see it
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I have trained with 6s forever i think
biggrin.gif

So i guess a break from that and do higher reps might just do good and maybe I will get hypertrophy from 15s, maybe I wont.
Btw, some of my abstinence (?) has gone away now.
smile.gif

Back