How do I find out my calorie requirements

Bren86

Hi well I have just got a book on calories and also Lol gave me this site thecaloriecounter.com but I'm unsure how much calories I will need to bulk up. I'm sure I seen a little test were I have to put my height in kg and how much I weigh etc then it will say how many calories I need.

For simplicity take your weight in Lbs and multiply it by
10-12 for cutting
13-16 for maintaining
17-20 for bulking
Then watch the mirror and scale, and adjust.

Thanks. Well this is what I got from my calculations.

x17 = 2635
x18 = 2790
x19 = 2945
x20 = 3100

So should I aim to get a minimum of 2635 cals a day and a max of 3100 and anything it between will be fine.

On top of this do I have to around 130g of protein a day aswell.

A man in the gym said that all I need to have it protein to build muscle. He said just to have 3 good meals a day and with each meal have a tin of tuna and a protein shake so 3 tins of tuna and 3 proteins shakes. Then another man said that protein it just to help prepare and mend the muscle and to eat like a horse.

It confused me so I was planning on seeing a nutritionist but I thought I'd check up on here first.

Like Dan said, that formula is good to get a baseline to start from. What you should do is pick one target and watch your weight for a few weeks so you can guage whether it is sufficient or not. You'll probably be wanting minimal fat gain, and if you are relatively light still, you can probably get away with 18x bodyweight.
If you aren't gaining weight still, then you'll want to kick it up to the next level. Also, keep in mind that as you gain weight, you will require more calories than you did before to continue gaining weight.

Yeah, those numbers are probably for a medium metabolism and a person lifting 3x a week... a lot of other factors weigh in.

For example.. I am cutting right now (500 calories under), and I still eat 3300 calories a day.

Ok well I ain't a big eater but I've been doing my best for 5 weeks now. I havn't counted my calories in the past but am willing to give it ago. The book and the site I go on have alot of info but I'm kinda looking for a list of high calorie foods to help me out.

Your right about nuts in my book it says per 100g roasted and saulted peanuts you get 602 calories. So if I had 200g or nuts I get 1204 calories. Which I feel would help grately towards acheiving 2790 caolories per day. It seems mad how those little nuts could help me bulk up. My books full of foods and snacks it all just seems to complicated to pick out some foods I wanna eat daily to acheive the 2740 mark per day. I think I'm gonna go ahead with the nuts though.

What else would you guys reccomend. I don't do the shopping in my house so it will need to be stuff thats kinda like the oposite of eating a bigg @$$ beef meal aday as that won't be happening with me. My mum n dad understand that I wanna put on weight so they won't mind changing afeiw things

Things like changing my bread but to what? I heard brown bread has more calories but in my book it says hovis white is 233 cal and hovis wholemeal(brown) is 220. It says per 100g for that aswell so is that like 1 slice. I will have to dig out my food scales and start to weigh the things I plan to eat.

I have started to eat alot of pasta so I will have to weigh up my usual servings to see how much calories I'm getting. I think its 75 calories per 57g and I eat alot more than that.

Just get used to eating a ton of food. 2700 calories is nothing. You'll eventually become accustomed to eating that much, and then it will be no problem stuffing it all in. Imagine how hard it is for some of us who have to eat beyond 4000 to gain weight, heheh.

Personally, I like to get a lot of dairy products. Milk, eggs, cheeses, especially cottage cheese, they can all get you to your calorie goal, though you may want to watch the fat intake.

Pasta is a good one. I eat some form of it almost every day. Great for getting in a lot of carbs, though some people feel the carbs aren't complex enough... works for me though. Regarding bread, your book is probably talking about multiple slices. The bread I have at home right now only has 90 calories per slice.

You can find a lot of nutrional information for various foods online too, just use google.

Hi. Yeah I'm gonna start to weigh the portions I normally eat like all my everday foods I plan on eating to reach 2700 then add other stuff if I need to which I prob will. It seems kinda confusing though with everything in my book near enough says 100g of something or other so if I ever get a bag of chips I don't always wanna be putting them in scales to see how many grams it is lol or is that what some of you guys do or do you lot sometimes just guess how much isit. Same with the bread aswell it should just say per 2 slices or something. I suppose over time I will just "know" the weight of foods.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren86 @ Feb. 12 2006,11:42)]Hi. Yeah I'm gonna start to weigh the portions I normally eat like all my everday foods I plan on eating to reach 2700 then add other stuff if I need to which I prob will. It seems kinda confusing though with everything in my book near enough says 100g of something or other so if I ever get a bag of chips I don't always wanna be putting them in scales to see how many grams it is lol or is that what some of you guys do or do you lot sometimes just guess how much isit. Same with the bread aswell it should just say per 2 slices or something. I suppose over time I will just "know" the weight of foods.
You only need to weigh stuff that doesnt have a nutrition label, usually meats, eventually you can develop an eye for how much a portion of meat has. And just try avoid stuff you cant easily estimate within a reasonable doubt(typically due to questionable fat content), like resteraunt foods

I'm one of the folks that weighs my food. I've tried estimating, but I tend to overeat when I eyeball it. I weigh 180 lbs and am currently dieting. It's surprising how much chicken comprises 30 grams of protein. It's less than you think.

I have a small digital food scale that weighs in grams or oz's.

Back