How long does it take HSN creatine to go bad?

VIPER

I bought HSN creatine 2 weeks ago, I opened the container to see what it looks like but never used it because I decided I wanted to finish my second cycle without creatine, and I have 4 weeks left on the second cycle of HST. My question is would I be able to use the creatine next cycle or will the creatine go bad from sitting around for too long. When I am done with this cycle it will be 6-7 weeks total since it has been first opened.

Dear Viper,

Shelf degradation of creatine occurs over several months. This depends on the frequency of atmospheric exposure, ambient temperature and humidity. Of these three factors, I would rank humidity as being prima facie, with atmospheric exposure and and ambient temperature a distant second and third.

Should you wish to protect your opened creatine from moisture damage, you can put it in a moisture-controlled cabinet akin to those that photographers use to protect their photographic equipment from mold growth. Alternatively, you could simply throw in several securely sealed packs of silica gel. This will aid greatly in protecting your creatine from any ambient humidity.

On a personal note - my creatine started turning lumpy after a year of opening. It was a big container, and I suspect with each opening, a little more moisture got in. I could have prevented the lumps from forming by dividing my bulk creatine, perhaps, packing them into several tupperware boxes and in this way, I do not expose the whole tub to the environment each time I take my creatine, which can be up to twice a day.

To answer your question in specific: "My question is would I be able to use the creatine next cycle or will the creatine go bad from sitting around for too long. When I am done with this cycle it will be 6-7 weeks total since it has been first opened."

Yes, your creatine should be fine. After all, it's been opened once only. It would take many more exposures before it starts to go bad and even so it takes about a year or so before it goes lumpy. How much of this lumpiness is due to creatine breaking down into creatinine, I'm not sure. It could be just due to clumping of sorts, a recrystallization due to factors other than moisture damage.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Alright cool man, thanks! For a second there I thought nobody was gona respond to that one, and I'm glad atleast one person did and you seem pretty knowlegable when it comes to creatine so it reasures me also to know who this info is coming from.

Its good for a year or two before opening it. Once you open it, its probably just fine for 6 months. It won't hurt you to take old creatine as long as it was pure in the first place.

Back