How much alcohol you drink a week???

I've always had a strong aversion to alcohol. Just hate the taste of it. I'll have a drink during business parties or other social occasions, but the taste of alcohol is so repugnant to me that I will actually sneak off with my drink and dump it outside or down the toilet. Maybe it's genetic. Neither one of my parents drink, and my grandparents on both sides don't/didn't either. I'm pretty sure my great grandparents didn't either.

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Apr. 20 2007,18:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Once a week (most of times on friday) i drink around the 5 glasses of Vodka with Redbull.</div>
That (and white russians) are the only ways I can drink vodka.

I better not answer this one. lol. Seriously though, I am down to 4 ozs of vodka a day. More on the weekend.
smile.gif
Trying to cut down the best I can.

Keystone

Fair play to you Quad and Bulldog. I have been borderline alcoholic I think. I used to drink around 3 to 4 litres of 5% beer (lager) every night (always kept training though) until a while back. I have lost nearly 20 pounds of flab since then. It kicks any gains you might get right in the head and is such a waste of money.
J
smile.gif

The occasional drink won't hurt anyone. The fullblown night out will set back a bodybuilder, as will any regular drinking.
Alcoholism is basically taking regular drinks, becoming a habit, not breaking it, and continuing into a downward spiral. In a normal person, THIQ, or TetraHydraIsoQuiniline, increases in the brain as you progress. This chemical is a trigger mechanism for addictive behavior and cravings. When I was in school for this last, they said it never leaves the body, and lies dormant in the brain when you quit using your drug of choice. When you &quot;relapse&quot; (drink again), it is immediately stirred up, and you're right back where you were, right down to the time of day and amounts you used to use.
As I said, regular people. There are certain types who take on a different kind of alcoholism that has no &quot;cravings&quot;. They fall into destructive behavior when they drink, uncontrolled, and may only drink a few times a year. But when they do, they tend to wreck everything they touch. They are still classified as alcoholics, and may simply have different triggers that make them &quot;need&quot; to drink when they do. IMO, they don't have any or as much THIQ keeping the cravings alive daily, but that's just my observation.
Now that I'm almost 54, I don't need to drink to get a hangover. I have about 3 a week just from work!

I found I got to a certain level and that was as far as it went. It was still way above what is reasonable but it didn't spiral. I have had freinds that would drink with me and after a heavy night would start again in the morning. I have never been able to or wanted to do that.
J
smile.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ May 11 2007,07:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Alcoholism is basically taking regular drinks, becoming a habit, not breaking it, and continuing into a downward spiral. In a normal person, THIQ, or TetraHydraIsoQuiniline, increases in the brain as you progress. This chemical is a trigger mechanism for addictive behavior and cravings.</div>

Interesting stuff.

I've been noticing that when I avoid alcohol, food cravings of all kinds are much milder, and it's almost easy to follow whatever eating plan I've laid out. If I have more than maybe 3 drinks a week, I'm much more likely to overdo fast food and salty snacks.

Now I'm wondering if that's partly a cascade of alcohol =&gt; THIQ =&gt; cravings.

I really couldn't say, as I quit drinking about 18 years ago, along with the pot and coffin nails. It's interesting though, the correlation between alcohol and salty things.

And perhaps your relation is inverse: maybe it's normal food cravings except when you're numbed by alcohol and not feeling your regulatory mechanisms?

<div>
(quadancer @ May 19 2007,07:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And perhaps your relation is inverse: maybe it's normal food cravings except when you're numbed by alcohol and not feeling your regulatory mechanisms?</div>

That could well be.

This is really one of those things where it's easy to work out empirically what to do, but examining the underlying mechanism is an enjoyable intellectual wank.

Like about 90% of fitness. ;)

I disagree: 90% of fitness is what you do in the gym: the 10% should be your study/discussion time. So many of us have that backwards!
wink.gif

Actually, my computer time is what I do to relax most evenings, since TV gets so banal. (we don't have cable or satellite) I read to get to sleep. I aggravate Slapshot when I want some fun. Skinny lil' bugger...

<div>
(quadancer @ May 19 2007,15:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I disagree: 90% of fitness is what you do in the gym: the 10% should be your study/discussion time. So many of us have that backwards!
wink.gif
</div>
Oh, sheesh, I worded that badly. Let me see if I can fix it (I used to think I was a writer):

This is really one of those things where it's easy to work out empirically what to do (as is the case with about 90% of fitness), but examining the underlying mechanism is an enjoyable intellectual wank.

And sometimes the other 10% requires examining the underlying mechanism.

Booze wrecked me this past weekend, but my weight went down.

I posted some articles about alcoholic thermo genesis in this section before that can explain such dichotomies.

Quit drinking 6 months ago on 3/4/07. Before that, drank until wasted everyday after work until about 4:00 a.m. Feel great now that I'm sober...and saved my marriage.
smile.gif

i'm about 3 years out of college.. college was lots of drinking, though now i'm probably at the 4-6 times per week range.. i have found that alcohol does not instigate me to want to eat more, actually i'm probably one of the weird ones that doesn't want a drink with dinner or other foods but would rather enjoy it by itself afterwards..

i've always been more on quality than quantity with alcohol so i'd rather have a new castle than a miller any day.. i've never had a problem with 1 a day with my weight

Wow, I feel like a piece of **** after seeing everyone else's responses but I probably average 3-4 nights a week of 8-12 drinks... with outliers of 15+ drinks at times. However, when I'm not at school, like I this summer when I worked full-time at home, this went down to 1-2 nights a week with 8-10 drinks.

Well looks like you're still making progress Gator, which is good news cuz I'm starting my college year soon too...and the booze might get overwhelming. I'm also in a fraternity like you over here in California and drinking is inevitable...although I will try and cut down a little more compared to last year.

At the point in my life that I drank/partied to excess, I was also juicing which no doubt helped me &quot;soldier on&quot; anyway- but my mindset at the time was rather masochistic towards myself , I made myself PAY for having a hangover with some of the most intense workouts I've ever done - this worked well for me at that time.
So it is my opinion that while of course these things are not condusive to lifting - it can be done if your pain thresh-hold and capacity for self punishment is fairly high-LOL!!! Within reason of course ...
smile.gif

Hahah well it seemed to have worked out relatively well my first year of college, I probably gained roughly 25lbs of mostly muscle while partying hard, and that's WITHOUT HST!! Imagine the gains WITH HST! Maybe I'll fill up the doorway by the end of this school year at 6'5 (hey maybe i'll even grow some more in height)
tounge.gif

Back