how young to start training?

• Thread starter imported_dreadrok
  • Start date
I

imported_dreadrok

my little brother wants to start weight training and i was wondering if at 15, 16 in august, HST would be a good idea? He also playes basketball so anything we can do to get his jump and speed up would be a good idea too.
If any of you have any recomendations of a program that we can start him up with that would be awsome. thanks a bunch

I started at 13.

Keep his program to the basic compound movements, three times per week. Forget isolations.

Sport specific training is a good idea too. In basketball, plyometrics are good. When people say sport specific training it's basically just training to the sport. For example there's no need for a lineman in football to be able to run around the field 20 times, so it doesn't make sense to have them do it. For basketball explosive jumps and moderate to high intensity running back and forth in an area consistent with the size of a court would be a good idea.

For weight training specific to that, like O&G said, basic compounds, especially squats and lunges I found helped my jumping when I was younger, though I didn't play ball for the school team so I never had to push too hard.

thanks guys ill put him on a short little compound only routine while i HST it out. and maybe throw in some plyos

SOTDM did a cycle last year (age 11) during the summer hols & loved it. We based it on squats/inc bench/seated row and front press... weights weren't massive but form was tight!

He's been askin' to do it again this year - this time with some WPI/casein (pre/post WO)

One often overlooked problem - is tight muscles due to hours on the xbox - so throw in some stretches...

definatly.. i wish i would have stretched more when i was younger.. flexibility is hard to come by for me, specially in the shoulders :confused:

Back