HST after extreme inury and trauma (with pics)

Another great workout. I carbloaded prior to my workout today and had a nice coffee and creatine kick right before as well. Really helped with my intensity. I also finished today with some wrist curls and didn't forget =p. Keep going strong. Squat (smith): 100lb, 10 reps Leg curl machine: 65b, 10 reps Bench (slight incline): 70lb DB, 10 reps Pull-up: BW, 10 reps Shoulder press: 50lb DB, 10 reps Shrugs: 70lb DB, 10 reps Standing bicep curl: 37.5 DB, 10reps Dips: 15b, 10 reps Seated calve press machine: 90lb, 18 reps Seated side ab crunch machine: 60lb, 15 reps Wrist curls: 27.5 DB, 28/20 reps Feeling great and looking good again. The only limitations are those we impose on ourselves.

Last edited:
Slightly upset this past week because I got sick and could not finish my last day of 10s. I did start my first day of 5s however, and although I was weak I competed my workout today at the standard 75% for the first set of 5s. Looking forward to completing these next two weeks. I'm going to stick with 2 sets of 10 reps for pull ups and try to gradually add weight. Seems difficult to only do 5 sets of dips so I changed the workout to rope extensions. I'll try to do 5 sets and add weight in my bag or something. Squat (smith): 110lb, 5 reps Leg curl machine: 70b, 5 reps Bench (slight incline): 75lb DB, 5 reps Pull-up: BW, 10 reps Shoulder press: 55lb DB, 5 reps Shrugs: 75lb DB, 5 reps Standing bicep curl: 45 DB, 5reps Tricep rope extensions: 70lb, 5reps Seated calve press machine: 90lb, 15 reps Wrist curls: 25 DB, 20 reps

Finished up my third set of 5s on Fri which was nice. I think I'm going to have to adjust the rest intervals, however because 45 seconds to 1min is not enough time to maintain the same intensity. Squat (smith): 130lb, 5 reps Leg curl machine: 80lb, 5 reps Bench (slight incline): 85lb DB, 5 reps Pull-up: BW, 10 reps Shoulder press: 65lb DB, 5 reps Shrugs: 85lb DB, 5 reps Standing bicep curl: 47.5 DB, 5reps Tricep pushdown: 120lb, 6 reps Seated calve press machine: 110lb, 15 reps Leg raises: BW, 15 reps I also switched to tricep pushdowns instead of dips out of convenience for 5s. Looking forward to finishing up this week and doing another set of 5s.

Good to see you working out again after getting sick. I was just laid up for close to two weeks and dam near when crazy.

Also, it looks like you got hit with the same text formatting issue several of us have had. Here’s how we took care of it which will put the formatting back into your post and make your log easier to read:

http://thinkmuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?41426-No-text-formating-when-posting

Grunt, thank you so much for helping with the formatting issue. It was very annoying! Yes I had to take a full four days off from being sick which made me miss my last day of 10s, but I told myself to just go at it again on fives. I lucked out slightly because three of the four days I missed were rest days and my first day back was my first day of fives which was lower intensity and volume, but damn did it suck. I think the key with working out while sick is to make sure you are COMPLETELY encased in sweats from head to toe. I wore a longed-sleeved shirt and a hoddie to keep my skin from being exposed.

Yesterday's workout was a blast! I felt so strong again heaving those 90lb DBs for chest and can't wait to finish with 100s this Fri. I'm slightly confused as to what to do after this last week of 5s and I guess I will just repeat it again with increases in weight or reps?

Squat (smith): 140lb, 5 reps
Leg curl machine: 85b, 5 reps
Bench (slight incline): 90lb DB, 5 reps
Pull-up: BW, 10/11 reps
Shoulder press: 65lb DB, 7 reps
Shrugs: 90lb DB, 5 reps
Standing bicep curl: 50 DB, 5 reps
Tricep pushdowns: 150, 5 reps
Seated calve press machine: 110lb, 15 reps
Side crunch machine: 60lb, 15 reps
Wrist curls: 37.5 DB, 15 reps

Legs are also coming along nicely which feels great. I really wish this injury would just subside so I can just get on with my life. I guess I just need to keep chugging along and stay consistent. Grind grind grind.

Double post this week as I have been incredibly busy. Finished up my first two weeks of fives, however I don't have a partner for negatives so I think I will do another two weeks. My strength has either dramatically increased in chest and legs and I'm very happy about that. What's strange is that on my second to last day of fives I was able to push 95lb db for bench and when I tried to go up to 100s I hit a dead wall. Maybe my goal this next phase of fives is to end with 100s. I can definitely feel the density in my bones increasing in my upper body as my shoulders and chest have that good hurt feel most of the day. Here's to another two weeks!

2/29/12

Squat (smith): 145lb, 5 reps
Leg curl machine: 90lb, 5 reps
Bench (slight incline): 95lb DB, 5 reps
Pull-up: BW, 10 reps
Shoulder press: 70lb DB, 5 reps
Shrugs: 95lb DB, 6 reps
Standing bicep curl: 52.5 DB, 5 reps
Tricep pushdowns: 165, 5 reps
Seated calve press machine: 110lb, 18 reps
Standing crunch machine: 60lb, 15 reps
Wrist curls: 37.5 DB, 15 reps]

3/3/12

Squat (smith): 150lb, 5 reps
Leg curl machine: 95lb, 5 reps
Bench (slight incline): 95lb DB, 5 reps
Pull-up: BW, 10/11 reps
Shrugs: 95lb DB, 5 reps
Standing bicep curl: 52.5 DB, 5 reps
Tricep pushdowns: 180, 5 reps
Seated calve press machine: 110lb, 20 reps

I'm thinking of changing up my next workout program. I'm trying to get up to 200lb before cutting, but I think that may take another 8 weeks or so and I would really like to devote more time to cutting. On the same token I'd like to be bigger, so I guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Guess I'll figure it out after these next two weeks of 5s. Keep pushing.

First day of second set of 5s. Staying at these maxes for the next two weeks and I may add a little weight on the last day of this second 5s. Note that during these next two weeks all workouts performed are with three sets except biceps and shrugs.

Pull-up: +25lb, 6reps
Shoulder press: 65lb DB, 5 reps
Shrugs: 90lb DB, 6 reps
Standing bicep curl: 50DB, 5 reps
Dips +25lb, 7 reps
Standing crunch machine: 60lb, 15 reps

Going strong.

Finished my first week of the second set of fives on Friday. Had the same workout on Wed as well. I'm feeling very good and strong, but I'm really ready to burn some fat! I'm close to 200lb and Hope to start cutting once I get there. Hopefully I can be 185 with 7% soon.

(Wed+Fri)
Pull-up: +25lb, 6reps
Standing bicep curl: 50DB, 5 reps
Dips +25lb, 7 reps

I really did not want to go to the gym today. I was fighting with myself for about 2.5hrs. Finally I mustered enough energy to go and I learned a few things. I'm going to drop my squats by 15-20lbs to perfect my form. One amazing thing however is that I hit my goal of unassisted 95lb incline presses!!!!!!!!! Yea me~ I dropped my sets to two for this last week, but I increased weight on all exercises.

Squat (smith): 130lb, 5 reps
Leg curl machine: 100lb, 5 reps
Bench (slight incline): 95lb DB, 5 reps GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
Pull-up: +35lb, 6reps
Standing bicep curl: 52.5DB, 5 reps
Dips +35lb, 7 reps
Wrist curls: 32.5 DB, 20 reps

Bulking is really kind of getting to me. I'd really like to look shredded, but I guess I have to remember how far I've come and just keep pushing. Trying to determine now what I will do after this week.

One more down one more to go. I'm changing up my routine in the following months. For the next four weeks I will go to a 10rep set before moving over to UD2.0. Switched to bench-press smith after hurting my shoulder. Very happy to have completed this eight weeks. Can't believe it's gone by so fast.

Dips +35lb, 7 reps

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND DONE! With first cycle. Very proud of myself. For the next month I'm going to do a slow recomp and work out at maintenance before starting UD 2.0. The fat and not having optimal body composition is killing me.

3/16/12
Dips +35lb, 7 reps

Good to see things working for you.

What do you estimate your body fat % at right now. I ask because I know how you feel about gaining fat since I spent most of my life below 10% and probably more like 8% so when it started going up I started freaking out. However, if you are below 15% you might want to consider continuing to bulk until you hit 15%. Then eat maintenance for a couple weeks to solidify your gains and then start cutting.

And have fun with UD2 I tried it out and hated it.

Good to see things working for you.

What do you estimate your body fat % at right now. I ask because I know how you feel about gaining fat since I spent most of my life below 10% and probably more like 8% so when it started going up I started freaking out. However, if you are below 15% you might want to consider continuing to bulk until you hit 15%. Then eat maintenance for a couple weeks to solidify your gains and then start cutting.

And have fun with UD2 I tried it out and hated it.

Thanks for the support Grunt. I'd reckon I"m at about 13-15% right now it's difficult to tell. Maybe I'll post up a pic after my workout next week. I'm not going to do UD2.0 until four weeks from now so I think I'll be ok. I just broke up with my gf of 5.5 years so having something to take my mind off of it for that six to eight week period should be nice.

UPDATE: Photos taken 3/20 this is after a complete cycle. I have a slight pump from working out and I'm flexxed. Overall I like the progress and I look forward to tightening up in three weeks when I start UD2.0

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 50
It sure looks like your making good progress. I can see why you chose UD2.0 since you BF% doesn’t look that high right now.

Sick for a week. Bleh. Going to do two weeks of 10s (starting and ending higher than the last 10s) and then starting UD2.0

The fat and not having optimal body composition is killing me.

Man, I know exactly what you mean. I'm actually wrestling with this as well. I'm not used to having a little softness in the abdominal area, but I'm trying to keep my long range goal ahead of any short term preferences. I figure a year from now I'll be glad I did it. Until then, I'll just keep forging ahead.

Quick update. I did UD for two weeks. It was fine, but I noticed some of the before and after pictures and the time it took to complete the transformation. It looks like it's close to twelve weeks and that's how long my normal cutting diet takes -- and it's a diet wherein I can eat whatever I want as long as I follow a few protocols. Anyway, over the past two weeks I have switched back to my regular cutting diet and I'm steadily loosing my goal of 1-2 lbs a week without loosing much strength. Another update in a few weeks.

Yeah no point in doing UD2.0 if it is going to take you that long, since UD2.0 is quite hellish. I prefer IF these days over UD2.0. A short rapid fat loss/psmf type diet can work too if you are pressed for time as long as you have enough willpower to follow that kind of diet.

Back