HST and Fat loss

HJK

Greetings!

I've been reading about HST over the last few days and it's very interesting. I would like to give it a try but I'm not sure if it is right considering my primary goals. I am significantly overweight and I think weightlifting is one of the best ways to achieve fat loss (with a good diet of course). So losing fat is what I want to optimize.

Now HST is optimized for size gain, and as far as I have researched, putting on mass and losing fat are counter productive goals. You have to eat quite a bit to build mass, which as associated weight gain (in fat not just muscle), and you must restrict calories to loss weight. You can't optimally do both at the same time. Fine.

I have been recommended by a few people that one of the best lifting routines is to do for weight loss is a full-body workout 3 times a week. HST fits this description, but are there better full-body routines for fat loss? I'm sure, with proper nutritian, I will loss fat with HST, but I would like to implement an optimal fat loss routine.

A second, and more probing question, is how much size gain will you sacrifice in a fat-loss oriented workout? I wonder because I'm not very strong and could stand to put on some size anyway. Oh well.

You could start weightlifting using HST principals. But to loose weight you need to do cardio too. The lifting wont be enough. If you have alot of weight to loose the HST will prevent you from loosing muscle while you are dieting.

I would do something like
3x per week
bench
dips
chins
squats

and then do like 45 min of cardio 5-6 times a week.

I am by no measns a HST expert, but I can tell you that the secret "optimal fat loss workout" is a fiction. Every person will react differently to each type of training, and the only person who can say what is optimal is yourself, and that is only after you have tried several different things.

I will say that if you are a beginner, I don't see how you can go wrong with HST. It is straight forward, eliminates guesswork, and concentrates on the basic movements (which are known to be the most productive). If you do HST 3x a week, and aerobic work 3 or more times a week, I can almost promise you great results (assuming your diet is under control).

My suggestion, whether you choose HST or not, is to act immediatly, and start finding out for yourself what works, what doesn't, what you like, and what you don't. Just keep a good log to track your results, and let the numbers and the mirror speak for themselves.

JMO

You can lose fat on HST while preserving (or even adding some muscle.) You follow the HST principals as outlined in the articles and FAQ's. Find out your caloric maintenance (say for example it is 3,000 calories.) Lift 3x/week while doing some cardio on the off days. Eat at or a little bit below maintenance and this should be a good recipe to burn fat while keeping muscle.

hi,

hst is fantastic for burning fat i've found. in your case and please don't be offended, you've been carrying around a lot of weight, so you probably have a lot of muscle under there built up to carry you around, and that muscle will be your friend, the more you have the more calories you'll burn sitting on your bum. so hst is going to help you keep as much as you can while you drop the fat, and probably at first since you're a beginner lifter you'll get some awesome gains. now cardio on the off lifting days is so important, you won't burn as much fat without it. you have can't forget your heart and lungs. take is slow at first to start so that you don't over do it, you'll want to, but that will only lead to overtraining and you'll feel yucky and you'll give up. then when you're used to doing cardio and you feel good, add in a day of hiit, and you'll really see the fat burn away. diet diet diet going to be really really important, and eating like a body builder is a great strategy. about 6 meals a day will not only keep your metabolism UP UP UP, you won't be hungry cause you're eating something every couple hours or so. to check out the principles for this type of diet is the abs diet from men's health magazine (you can google the book it's really a good one). it's just sensible eating. now you put this type of plan together, understand that it will take some time and hard work to see results, not quit and work the plan everyday, you'll reach your goals. you are litterally making the best decision of your life. good luck.

thanks for the bandwidth,
ephman.

what the guys have said so far is spot on ..i dont know if your a total begginer or not if so follow the basic 3x a wk
if your not a total newbie or dont like cardio you could try 5x a wk full body workout..this burns a lot of caloreis..good luck :D

Back