hst for physical workers

carpenter

I work in the building trade and am new to hst. I must say that this program has brought my training to a level I thought unattainable.
The best part of hst in my mind is the looks on everyone's face when I go from the squat rack to the bench and then back to the rack for some chins :D !!
As for the gains, I'm on day 6 of the 5's and up six pounds with an extra half inch on my upper arms. Dude, you got me hooked.
Love the forum and look forward to more training info.

Carpenter

Welcome to HST!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The best part of hst in my mind is the looks on everyone's face when I go from the squat rack to the bench and then back to the rack for some chins

Yah, people seem to still be stuck on split routines, so you'll cause some upheaval by doing HST or at least a lot of looks.

Let us see your program some time if you want advice.

By the looks of things you are doing the right thing as you put on weight and it doesn't seem to be flab
thumbs-up.gif

Keep up the good work.

By the way are you doing the vanilla program or something of your own using the principles?

(quote)
The best part of hst in my mind is the looks on everyone's face when I go from the squat rack to the bench and then back to the rack for some chins !!

haha i was doing squats a few months ago and 2 so called personal trainers were stood behind me,so i said do you want to join in and they did,one of them said is it your legs day i explained i did a fullbody 3x a week routine he looked at me a bit bemused and said that doesnt give your doms a chance to go away..
sad.gif

Thanks everyone.
I've been training on and off for about 15 years. The last 5 have been fairly consistent. (Had to get my drunken twenties out of the way!)
Currently, I do 2 sets of the following:
leg curl
squat
bench
chins-underhand close grip
bench dips
cable rows
standing bb press
seated db curl
I've got two days to decide on whether to repeat with the 5's or try negatives. I'm just a little apprehensive about the negatives as I prefer to train alone and my joints are asking for a break.
Has anyone had any success with, say, 4's or 3's?

Ok Carp...

I see some unecessary exercises that I'd probably remove or substitute.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
leg curl / squat is this done together? Superset fashion? Might work, why not SLDL's instead of curls?
bench - perfect maybe alternate with Dips?
chins-underhand close grip - perfect specially with attached weight
bench dips - a good alternative for triceps if lacking the real dip bars! I also do this.
cable rows - good
standing bb press - Still th ebest shoulder builder of all time IMO
seated db curl - don't forget to do it inclined - works like a bomb!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've got two days to decide on whether to repeat with the 5's or try negatives. I'm just a little apprehensive about the negatives as I prefer to train alone and my joints are asking for a break.
Has anyone had any success with, say, 4's or 3's?

If joints are sore, the 3's and 4's are a good alternative, it is the right frame of approach, just carry on with 5's and use 3' and 4' Maxes, this can be done even beyond the normal 8 weeks if wanted, but with sore joints I'd rather stop after week 8.

Taking your Flax seed oil? There is some other stuff on the market which helps the joints, but flex is the main line.

Hope this helps, later!

Good advice, Fausto.

I'm entering into week 7 and chose to lose the leg curls as well as the db curls which were at the beginning and the end of my workout. Amazing how much more energy I had, just dropping those. It's like your subconscious knows that you have less to do so you can push yourself that much more.

What are your thoughts on explosive training, ie. power cleans, plyometrics and such?

One down, ten thousand to go.

Carp

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What are your thoughts on explosive training, ie. power cleans, plyometrics and such?

HST is flexible enough to use just about anything you want, provided you keep up the principles.

Power cleans are the S... if you're into them, they are very good compounds and build almost as welll as deadlits except you cannot carry as much load!
laugh.gif

Lyometrics I am not so sure about, maybe one of the other guys can help you there.

Word of advice, if it is working...do not fiddle with it!
tounge.gif

Back