HST Routine #3

soflsun

My last workout was 12/10/07.  I've had nearly 3 months off and it shows.  No crying, let's get back at it!

4x/week split...every other day sessions.

Chest, Back, and Biceps - 2x/week
Legs, Shoulders, (1 auxillary) - 2x/week

1.  Warmup with 5-10 minutes of cardio & External Rotations
2.  Every workout will alternate between straight sets and supersets
3.  When I work a muscle group for the 2nd time during the week, different exercises will be used
4.  This will be a straight linear cycle with weights increasing each week - I will progress from 15s to 3s, but will aim for maximum reps on any given weight
5.  Off days will consist of grip training

3/2/08

Assisted Pullups (Plate 10) 1x15
Incline BB Bench 95 lbs/ T-Bar Rows 45 lbs 2x15
BB Bench 115 lbs/ Seated Cable Rows (Plate 9) 1x15
Incline DB Curls 40 lbs 1x15, 1x10 - too heavy after taking so much time off and already weakened from back...

25 minutes stationary bike - Level 5

<div>
(soflsun @ Mar. 02 2008,19:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My last workout was 12/10/07. I've had nearly 3 months off and it shows. </div>
Yup, wondered where you'd been...
rock.gif

Let's get cracking!

Tunnel...it's good to be back!

I was quite sore today despite the low weights and relatively low volume...I feel the soreness getting progressively worse as the day goes on.  I think the DOMS may be wicked tomorrow.

Apparently I could have managed with even less volume to start...who knew??
Hopefully I'll be OK for legs and shoulders tomorrow...

Welcome back, soflsun! Is this going to be simply a (for lack of a better word) vanilla HST routine?

Good luck! Enjoy the DOMS whilst they last!

Thanks _tim,

Yeah...vanilla HST routine (at least for me
smile.gif
)

4x/week

A.                      B.                  C.                 D.
Incline Bench    Deads           Flat Bench    Squats
Chins                Push Press   Rows            ShoulderPress
Curls                 Calves          Curls            Shrugs

This is the plan pretty much...I may throw 1 extra exercise in for each workout depending on how I feel.

I'm going to try and stick with 2x15, 3x10, 4x6, 8x3...but I plan on doing as many reps as I can on the last set.

3/4/08

Deads 135 lbs/Push Press 65 lbs 2x15
Seated Calf 45 lbs/Shrugs 90 lbs 2x15

I am having wicked DOMS in my chest and front delts and to a lesser extend in my middle back and biceps.  I'm loving it!

3/6/08

Assisted Chins (neutral) Plate 10/BB Bench 115 lbs 2x15
Standing (alternating) DB Curls 40 lbs 2x15

35 minutes stationary bike - Level 7

Unfortunately, after taking 3 months off, now I'm sick. I seem to have something similar to what quad and hotter had...fever with sore throat and terrible wet mucous cough. I'm on antibiotics now, so I'm hoping to resume again ASAP. I guess the good thing is that my cycle had literally JUST begun, so it's not like I lost anything in terms of the actual cycle. Oh well...

Hope you get better soon. Like you said, at least it happened at the beginning of the cycle and not midway. Regardless, it's still a bummer!

<div>
(soflsun @ Mar. 10 2008,16:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm on antibiotics now, so I'm hoping to resume again ASAP.</div>
The antibiotics are a good sign -- it means what you have is probably not viral. You're still just as sick, but you likely won't get the post-viral fatigue that can take another week to recover from.

Mucinex-D, soflsun. I get 6+ sinus infections per year (up to 3 so far in '08) - and by combining Mucinex-D with antibiotics, I've found a marked increase in recovery time.

Get better soon!

Thanks guys...I did the Mucinex with my Augmentin and I do believe the recovery time will be shorter than usual. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow at the gym. It's been 10 days of recovery, so hopefully that's enough.

Look at the bright side: after such an enforced SD, you'll be able to use the little, pink, plastic dumbbells...
wink.gif

3/22/08

Pendley Rows 95 lbs/BB Bench 115 lbs 2x15
Incline DB Curls (alternating) 30 lbs 2x15
Tricep Pushdown 6th Plate 2x15

3/25/08

Deads 135 lbs 2x15/Push Press 95 lbs 2x12
Standing DB Curls (alternating) 40 lbs 2x15
Shrugs 140 lbs 2x15
Calf Raise (leg press machine) 180 lbs 2x15

Push Press was too heavy, I mistakenly thought it was the same weight from my previous workout...bit it wasn't. I was't sure why is felt so heavy, until I just looked at my log. I guess I'll just stay at this weight until I can properly do 2x15.

3/27/08

Assisted Pullups Plate 11 1x15,1x12,1x5
BB Bench 125 lbs 1x15, 1x12, 1x7
BB Curls (seated) 45 lbs 1x15, 1x12, 1x5

I wasn't able to finish my second set of 15 for any of the exercises, so I may be progressing too quickly...or it could be because I'm still sore from my last workout.  After a long break, its really nice to start off with low weights and really &quot;feel&quot; the muscles working.  You lose that a bit after a long cycle, so I'm pleased.

I'm not surprised the pullups were difficult, my lats were quite sore from my deads 2 days ago...at 135 LBS!!  Bench was more surprising, but my form was very srict and I got a good pump.  I will stay at these weights until 2x15 is done properly, which I don't think will be long with muscle memory kicking in already.

I'm going to stick with chest&amp;back 2x/week and legs&amp;shoulders 2x/week.  I really don't like working my legs with another large muscle group and I don't like working my shoulders with chest since they get hit pretty hard as it is.

how long did you rest between sets?

I'm not knocking you, but am curious as to why you don't prefer full body workouts.

fear,

I usually do supersets, so there isn't much rest between sets.  When I do straight sets I just wait until I feel ready, probably 2-3 minutes.  I'd rather wait a bit longer and have enough juice to finish the set than go quickly and putter out and have to cluster.

As far as full-body, I just don't think it is necessary to work legs more than 2x/week.  Also, to do shoulders on the same day as chest just seems like overkill.  My shoulders get enough stimulation from my bench.

Also, as the cycle progresses, having a split such as this will allow me to increase the volume without being in the gym all night.  For instance, there will be a point when I am doing 2 exercises for chest and 2 for back in the same workout...if I were also doing legs, shoulders, and arms it would just be too much.  This will let me focus enough volume on the target muscles until the cycle is complete.

3/29/08

Deads 155 lbs 2x15/Push Press 95 lbs 1x15,1x12
Incline DB Curls 40 lbs 2x15
Shrugs 140 lbs 2x15
Seated Calf Raise 55 lbs/Skullz 40 lbs 2x15

edit: then played basketball for about 30 minutes...sweating like a hog!!

Back