HST Routine #3

I'm going to see if he will record it so I can post it on youtube.  
biggrin.gif

I had the surgery. Just have to figure out how to wipe my ***. Pictures to follow...currently hopped up on Percocet.

8/16/08

16 days post-op. Hand is healing up pretty well. I'd like to get back lifting on Monday very lightly to see how things feel. My last workout was 2 days before surgery...so I'm up to 18 days SD. If I can get back on Monday it will be a solid 20 days of rest. It's amazing how quickly I shrink when I'm not in the gym, and off creatine. I'm weighing in at about 185, 15 lbs off my mid cycle high of 200. I suspect the last 5 lbs. that I've lost since the surgery has been about 50/50 in terms of fat and muscle. That's life!

I feel for you re the weight loss but get that hand well and you'll be muscled up again in no time. Good old muscle memory!

As long as it doesn't hurt (a bit of discomfort is ok) getting some extra blood flowing around your hand should be a good thing. Not that this is a suggestion but: a mate of mine had a carpal tunnel op and went back to work the same day (against his docs recommendation). You might think that perhaps he could avoid using his hands where he worked but he's a car bodyshop panel beater! Anyway, long story short, sure it was painful the first few days but, when he saw his doc to have the stitches removed two weeks later, the doc was amazed how fast everything had healed. Then my mate told him he hadn't had any time off work! Doc wasn't so pleased about that.

After reading about various techniques to get muscle strains etc. healed as quickly as possible it would seem that, as long as something isn't broken or snapped, getting a good supply of nutrients to the area by carefully working it is usually the best thing to do (one of the reasons why tendons take so long to heal is because they have a relatively poor blood supply). Have you got a light gripper that you could use for a bit of a hand pump? Squeezing an old tennis ball would do it too. That way you can decide how hard you squeeze on it and back off it it feels too uncomfortable.

Of course, take all this with a pinch of salt if your doc has recommended otherwise. I don't know what he had to cut through to get the cyst removed.

<div>
(soflsun @ Aug. 16 2008,4:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My last workout was 2 days before surgery...so I'm up to 18 days SD. If I can get back on Monday it will be a solid 20 days of rest. It's amazing how quickly I shrink when I'm not in the gym, and off creatine. I'm weighing in at about 185, 15 lbs off my mid cycle high of 200.</div>
After such a quality SD, you should find that submaximal weights will be remarkably effective for you. It may take a bit of time (you weren't planning on going anywhere anyhow, were you...?), I do not doubt that you'll be right back to your 300 PR, and then some!

24 days SD DONE!!

8/23/08

Bench 135 lbs 2x15
T-Bar Row 55 lbs 2x15
DB Shoulder Press 50 lbs 2x15
DB Curls (incline) 40 lbs 2x15
Calf Raise (seated) 70 lbs 2x15
Shrugs 140 lbs 2x15

Thanks guys. I totally agree with you Lol. I had no pain today, so everything went well. There is still some swelling but I'm not sure if its inflammation, scar tissue, or a new cyst forming?!

Tunnel I hope you're right! What is for darn sure is I am very out of shape. The combination of not doing 15's for so long, along with the extended SD, and I was quite winded with a high heart rate to go with it. I need to get into better cardiovascular shape ASAP!

I'm not sure which is worse, the weight of the 15's or the extreme huffing and puffing that comes along with lifting it. Good to see you back in the game soflsun !!
cool.gif

8/26/08

Took an extra day off due to soreness
smile.gif

Bench 145 lbs 2x15
Pullups (Assisted-10th Plate) 2x15
DB Shoulder Press (seated) 70 lbs 2x15
DB Curls (incline) 50 lbs 2x15

20 minutes stationary bike - level 10

I'm going to do legs on seperate days until I build back up some wind.  My HR was through the roof from this puny workout, so I didn't want to push Deads or Squats which tend to really wind me on even a good day.

Wow, great to see that you hit 300 on the bench while I was gone. Looks like I'm not the only one taking a long SD either. Good luck getting back up to your previous numbers (and then surpassing them, of course.)

Thanks Tot!

8/30/08

Bench 155 lbs 1x15, 1x12
Pullups (Assisted-9th Plate) 2x15
DB Shoulder Press (seated) 70 lbs 2x14
DB Curls (incline) 60 lbs 1x11, 1x4 (seated) 1x12, 1x4
Calf Raise (seated, single-leg) 45 lbs 2x15

I had to take some extra time off to let my hand fully recover.  I've been doing 15's 1x/week for the last 2 weeks.  Now I'm good to go full force again...hopefully.

9/18/08

Pullups (Assisted-8th Plate) 1x15
Bench 165 lbs 1x15
DB Shoulder Press (seated) 70 lbs 1x15
DB Curls (seated) 60 lbs 1x15

I'd like to get all of the above exercises at 2x15, then I will progress to 10's.

soflsun, I just spotted Totz post above and couldn't believe that I'd missed your 300lb bench PR back at the end of July! That's an awesome achievement. It doesn't look like it'll be too long before you get a 200lb press either.

Are you going to be able to start deadlifting and squatting again or is your hernia going to prevent you from getting back into these lifts?

<div>
(soflsun @ Sep. 19 2008,12:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've been doing 15's 1x/week for the last 2 weeks.  Now I'm good to go full force again...hopefully.</div>
Yup, HST lets you get off to a soft start.

Hey, where's your deads and squats...?

Thanks guys. Geez, I'm miles away from that bench PR it seems... At least 15 lbs lighter, not to mention how much of that is muscle. Anyway, I'm sure it will come back in time if I can stay healthy. Yes, I will be adding back deads and squats during the 10's, I'm just too deconditoned right now to handle them during 15's. I will do them lightly though, as I REALLY don't want to end up back under the knife to get the hernia repaired. Hope all is well for everyone!

Sorry I've been away for some time. Been dealing with my &quot;panic disorder,&quot; which seems to rear it's ugly head every 3 years or so. The flourescent lights in the gym, along with a myriad of other things have been setting me off, so I'm kind of crapped out right now. Heart rate has been up, which bothers me, and the lifting obviously intensifies this and has just been making me very uncomfortable. I've been doing BW pullups, chins, pushups, and some little crap with 15 lb. DB's...just trying to keep as healthy and fit as I can through this period. Hope all is well.

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 07 2008,1:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sorry I've been away for some time.  Been dealing with my &quot;panic disorder,&quot; which seems to rear it's ugly head every 3 years or so.  The flourescent lights in the gym, along with a myriad of other things have been setting me off, so I'm kind of crapped out right now.  </div>
Whoa! Sorry to hear that.

I have to deal with PTSD issues from time to time. So I have some appreciation of what you are going through. It's not nearly as much fun as it's cracked up to be.

Things get better. It just takes time:

&quot;He who endures to the end shall be saved&quot; (Matthew 24:13)

Back