I drink 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of milk during workout

Rocckk

Any disadvantages?

It's basically just a ton of protein and some sugar, both of which are great for workout/post-workout.

I'm an ectomorph, started out at 153 lbs 6'1" tall, now I'm 183 lbs. several months later.

Besides the fact that it would probably make me puke, I don't see anything the matter with it. Other opinions?

I don't know for sure if it's a problem or not. I used to drink a whole lot of milk and I still do drink a good amount but not as much as before. I have read some articles saying that too much calcium could lead to an increased chance of prostate cancer but I don't know if there's been enough research to back that up completely. I just figured I'd play it on the safe side and drink a fair amount of milk and the rest of my protein comes from more meat now.

The only major disadvantage I see is the fat, if you're drinking anything other than skim (non-fat) milk. Even 1% milk is going to give you (at 2.5gm fat/8oz serving) 20gm fat in 1/2 gal of milk, of which 12gm is saturated. A half-gallon of whole milk will yield 96gm fat, of while 40 is saturated.
Jake

The only major disadvantage I see is the fat, if you're drinking anything other than skim (non-fat) milk. Even 1% milk is going to give you (at 2.5gm fat/8oz serving) 20gm fat in 1/2 gal of milk, of which 12gm is saturated. A half-gallon of whole milk will yield 96gm fat, of which 40gm is saturated.
Jake

You drink 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon of milk during a workout!!??
wow.gif

How do you keep from puking or crapping your pants? I can't even drink that much water during a workout.

I read the same about the cancer and that new research shows that milk in big amounts is not that healthy...but I don't know...bryan claimed that milk slows down absorbtion of protein intake - so this may be a reason but if you like it and have no complaints...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Aug. 05 2004,6:45)]You drink 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon of milk during a workout!!??
wow.gif

How do you keep from puking or crapping your pants? I can't even drink that much water during a workout.
I agree, I would puke my guts up and I love milk

for me 2 problems:
1 :lot of lactose which could induce digestive disorder.
and 2:antibiotics which are given to the cows.
if calcium could induce cancer, it may be in very large quantity , i don't know if you can reach the fatal dosage even if you drink 10 liters of milk in one day.
sneaky2.gif

People are too afraid of things these days. They also warn you of mercury poisoning in canned chunk light tuna, when these are baby fish that haven't had enough time to absorb a lot of mercury into their blood. Even if they do, I don't think anyone has to worry about things like this.

Anything in moderation. Milk can cause problems. So can TV. And wine. And tap water. God.

Not ranting or attacking anyone in particular here, I just think it's insane how people are so paranoid these days. Life is to short to worry about that stuff all the time. Do what you can to be healthy, but indulge a bit too. I've heard people say milk is bad to use because of the hormones in it. I grew up on it. If I lose 5 years off my life for drinking it, good. I don't really care.
laugh.gif
Love my milk.

Carry on.

I'm just curious...do you carry a huge milk jug around with you at the gym?And doesn't the milk get kinda warm and nasty after a while? I dunno how you don't puke...more power to ya i guess.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]. They also warn you of mercury poisoning in canned chunk light tuna, when these are baby fish that haven't had enough time to absorb a lot of mercury into their blood. Even if they do, I don't think anyone has to worry about things like this.
ignorance at its finest.

Ignorance? No. Indifference is more like it.

Maybe pregnant women and infants, but other than that, normal, healthy people don't need to worry about having *gasp* two cans of chunk light tuna daily.

Don't believe everything you hear on the evening news, most of it is plain ole BS. For the most part there is nothing wrong with canned tuna. It's about moderation, milk, tuna, caffeine, alcohol, TV is over dramatic, 9 times out of ten wrong, and the other tenth incredibly ridiculous, just ask Mike Wallace :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Sep. 23 2004,4:54)]People are too afraid of things these days. They also warn you of mercury poisoning in canned chunk light tuna, when these are baby fish that haven't had enough time to absorb a lot of mercury into their blood. Even if they do, I don't think anyone has to worry about things like this.
Anything in moderation. Milk can cause problems. So can TV. And wine. And tap water. God.
Not ranting or attacking anyone in particular here, I just think it's insane how people are so paranoid these days. Life is to short to worry about that stuff all the time. Do what you can to be healthy, but indulge a bit too. I've heard people say milk is bad to use because of the hormones in it. I grew up on it. If I lose 5 years off my life for drinking it, good. I don't really care.
laugh.gif
Love my milk.
Carry on.

The point is that many things are ok in MODERATION. Anytime you consume huge amounts of a single food, you open yourself up to possible problems that may be discovered with that item in the future.

Some things are media hype, some are not.

Even toxic substances such as cigarettes. One a day probably wouldn't kill anyone, but 3 packs a day is nearly guaranteeing problems.

The best advice has always been to consume a wide variety of foods.

I am lucky. My mate is also a fitness buff and LOVES to cook. She makes some of the most fabulous meals that are healthy AND taste great. I feel sorry for people who must resort to eating such bland crap as 3/4 gallons of milk during a workout.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe pregnant women and infants, but other than that, normal, healthy people don't need to worry about having *gasp* two cans of chunk light tuna daily.
oh, so you've researched this extensively? Didn't think so.

Actually, I have looked it up enough know that I'm in no risk of mercury poisoning eating two cans of tuna daily. So, I have researched it "extensively". I don't see you throwing anything up to prove what I'm saying otherwise anyway, nor do I care.

Ok, Tom and BoSox, keep it civil. :D I for one wouldn't mind if one of you guys would start a thread on heavy metals in canned tuna in the Nutrition forum. I think a lot of people would be interested in any research you guys might know of that could demonstrate one way or the other if it is something we should be concerned about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Sep. 24 2004,7:19)]Actually, I have looked it up enough know that I'm in no risk of mercury poisoning eating two cans of tuna daily. So, I have researched it "extensively". I don't see you throwing anything up to prove what I'm saying otherwise anyway, nor do I care.
Oh dear...

well, it's your body....

Back