incline dumbbell vs incline barbbell for mass

I always thought incline barbell is better for mass because it allows you to lift more, however recently people have been telling me that dumbbell is better for mass. Is this true?

i like both for different reasons....

bb you can do more weight and it seems to help my tris a little more

db you can get more of a stretch which is nice.

i make use of both in my routines (i have two different routines i like to do 5-6 times a week, alternating)

Incline DB curls give you much better stretch, which is always a good thing for hypertrophy. I tend to allow one hand to carry too much of the work when doing barbell curls also, which the DBs avoid. I can go relatively heavy on the incline DB curls and still isolate the biceps pretty well. I prefer the incline curls.

Why do just Incline bench? What about flat bench or dips? They'll hit the whole chest moreso than the incline will. The incline doesn't hit the upper chest harder, it just hits the lower chest softer, giving the upper chest more overall growth stimulis.

Putting on mass will depend on appropriate diet and SD more so than the difference between flat bench, incline bench and dips....

Personally I'd go with dips if I was only allowed a single chest exercise. Better range of motion and bigger weights used.

hmmmm

dips :D
tounge.gif
worship.gif

This should take out some of the doubts in the meantime!

I just wish I could get my hands on a complete one including the exercises we all use!

just remember EMG% depends on load utilized, and wont guess hypertrophy due to other factors than just activity are involved :)

Thanks Aaron.

Didn't realize you were surfing at the same time!

Do you have a better table, or even a more updated one?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just remember EMG% depends on load utilized

Leaving the other factors out, are you saying the results could be different with different loads.

Then we need to get one were maximum loads say for 5 reps are used.
thumbs-up.gif

no, that one is from Tudor Bompa's book and I cant remember where he got it from. Nobody else seems to be worried too much.

I have a paper from a few years back with activity of various muscles from decline, flat, incline and shoulder press over 2 width grips...

here goes the table.. (I just cut n pasted them so they are not in the correct order)

this is turning into a great thread...

I think no matter what you decide to use, you must have variety. I stuck to flat bb bench as one of my core exercises for years and am having better results than ever not using it. Since I started HSt I have been changing between inclinde bb, incline db, and dips with great results.

Maybe after a couple more cycles I will switch back to flat bench, as I do miss it a good deal. Being able to put up more weight is always fun!

I've found that I get a better "feel" for a shoulder press when I'm at 70-80 degrees rather than directly vertical ... and I'm stronger at that angle as well. There's not likely to be significant recruitment of the pectorals at that angle is there?

Back