Injury Log

crap

My favorite exercise got the better of me yesterday.  Gave me a stress fracture on the lower part of my fibula.  Doctor put it in a cast instead of a splint because he's worried about it effecting the cartilage between the tibia and talus.  Plus, I guess stress fractures on the fibula don't like to heal properly, another reason for the cast.  I was pulling pretty damn heavy for 3 reps and my right foot pronated inward a little and that was all she wrote.  He says the tibia could withstand the pressure but when my foot corrected the pronation my ankle snapped back into correct alignment and this put pressure on the fibula...I think he's just speculating and really has no idea, but I haven't a clue either.  I certainly wasn't aware of anything pronating, which is pretty disconcerting, as that means I probably can't prevent it from happening next time.  Just my luck for having a behemoth for a father and a dinky mother.  That kind of mix produced a propensity for strength that is too much for my small joints.  My ankles are only 9.5", which is probably around average but still pretty small compared to other guys screwing around with that kind of weight.  I'd be willing to stay in this damn cast for two years if it meant I could have the joints of Shane Hammon.  Anyway, going to be in this thing for 6 weeks, but it's all good because I'll still be squatting and deadlifting (kidding). Of course, I'm catching all kinds of flak from everyone about this "stupid powerlifting stuff that is killing me."

Do you have my enlarged pics of your back, because from the looks of your avatar, it is one of the biggest looking backs I've ever seen.

I'm really sorry about your injury. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Whoa bro, bummer. I hope a speedy recover for ya. I guess you'll have to find some other ways to keep up some strength in the meantime.

So here comes our new King of the Leg Curls, and Exhalted Ruler of the Leg Extensions!

Hey, at least you didn't snap it stepping off a curb or something!
wink.gif

Wow, that sucks Steve. I hope you heal up quick and don't have something like that happen again.

Best of health to you steve.

Not trying to be a smartass..but get some really supportive lifting shoes...maybe ones that wrap the ankle could help any kind of calf problems so this NEVER happens again! I want to see that 800 one day!
cool.gif

Sorry to hear about this, Steve. Must be really frustrating. However, I know how determined you are, and I'm sure it'll just be a bump in the road on your way to even bigger lifts in time.

Really sorry to hear your news Steve. Just really glad your ankle didn't cave in under the load. Six weeks away from the heavy stuff is going to be some frustrating SD but I'm sure you'll come back with a vengeance and be better (eventually!) for the rest.

I have to have some minor surgery to my back very soon which is going to put pay to my squats and deads for about a month. It really sucks. There's never a good time for bad stuff to happen but at least it's just a temporary situation. Anyway, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks everyone

It's actually not such a huge deal, injuries should probably be expected when you're really pushing yourself hard. The part I'm worried about is figuring out how to prevent this from ever happening again once I get healed up. I"m trying to find other powerlifters online who might have had this happen to them, but haven't had any luck. Most deadlift injuries only involve the lower back or hamstrings. I'm still going to the meet in June, but will only participate in the bench press.

Good luck with your back surgery LOL, hope you didn't have an accident while lifting.

<div>
(stevejones @ May 03 2007,05:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good luck with your back surgery LOL, hope you didn't have an accident while lifting.</div>
Cheers Steve. Not an injury from lifting. Only a minor thing really. No spine related probs.

For your situtation, the obvious thing to do would be to get hold of some boots with really good ankle support (like Sci mentioned) to be worn while dead'ing but you will have already thought about that. Not good enough?

Wow, I'll guess that that is the reason you see those guys with the lace-up boots on in the comps! I thought it was just some European thing or something.
Well, that's better than Spandex, huh?
rock.gif

Godspeed on your recovery, Steve. As a fellow powerlifter, here, I can attest to the danger we face &quot;pushing the limit&quot; on a daily basis. My last deadlift day, it felt as if my right glute separated from my lower back. OUCH! Still hurts two weeks later, but such is the price of Roman Glory...

I don't think there's a powerlifter alive that doesn't suffer from some type of injury. I'm looking forward to my max stim sessions for just that reason
smile.gif

Pretty much a month has gone by so how's the road to recovery Steve? Bumpy or smooth?

Just reading your first post again I had to smile when you said this:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just my luck for having a behemoth for a father and a dinky mother.</div>
Seems to be so often the case. What is it about small ladies that attracts the big fellers? My pop is 6'3&quot; and my ma is 5'2&quot;. I'm somewhere in between with small wrists and ankles.

Saw this pic on MySpace and it reminded me of the difference between my folks!:

1295907527_l.jpg

hahahaha....yep, that's about what my parents look like. My dad is 6'3&quot; 340 and mom is 5'4&quot; 105.

Yeah, this is the year of injuries for me. I've just progressed up to these poundages that are kicking my ass. My right shoulder is totally whacked. I can't do bench, incline, military, or even dumbbell flyes. My leg seems to be doing fine though (as far as I can tell) and am getting cast off in a couple of weeks.

I'd have to say that I'm fully recovered now.  I maxed out on deadlift today and did a solid 745, and it felt like I could have done 2 reps with it.  In the squat, my CNS is put into shock by all the weight I put on my back, so I have to get myself accustomed to it.  The strength is there though.  

Shoulder is still screwed up, despite the fact that I'm doing all my rc &amp; scapula exercises.  Probably looking at another 2 months of slowly rehabbing it.  

I'm doing a Smolov 4 week squat cycle combined with a light Coan deadlift routine, and will be finished with it 2 weeks prior to competing.  I've changed my stance and depth, and am practicing with a squat suit &amp; knee wraps on the heavy sets.  It's a pain in the ass, but I'm looking to blow the competition away in the Colorado State Games in August, at least in the deadlift and squat.  I really want some big numbers this time and am highly motivated.  I'll have to compete in the 308 class because I'm already above 275 and there's no way I'm going to try to drop any fat during this.  This time, I'm gonna be a super strong fat ass--that is my destiny, lol. Because of my shoulder, I won't be able to compete in the bench press.  In that event, I'll probably just push 315 really quick and be done with it.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">'d have to say that I'm fully recovered now. I maxed out on deadlift today and did a solid 745, and it felt like I could have done 2 reps with it.</div>

Steve, that lift is insane especially after your broke your fibula. Hopefully that SD helped!

Glad you are back on the road to some big numbers. Is it okay to stress the healing area with that much load so soon?
rock.gif
I hope so. August is only a month away so I expect you just want to be getting down to business.

Back