Insulin Spike

Rodney

I mix my post-workout protein (20 grams) with two cups skim milk, followed immediately with a couple pieces of fruit, typically an orange and a banana. My question is, does the lactose and the fructose provide a large enough insulin spike to induce a greater anabolic environment?

Thanks for any advice.

2 cups skim milk, 1 banana, 2 scoops whey gives me 57g protein 57g carbs postworkout. So far I've done well with this, if I need extra I make my own dextrose koolaid 1/2 cup dextrose to 1/2 gallon water. 10 ounces gives me 35g simple carbs.

What you are doing is probably enough, if you aren't getting the progress you want, add more - some dextrose koolaid may be helpful.

the recommendation I got for my 200 lbs. *(at the time) was 50g dextrose and 50g maltodextrin with the protein post workout. Your bodyweight should have something to do with it, unless these doctorate-wielding Bodybuilders are looking at the wrong studies.

What are the details of your protein drink? Ie. in 100g of powder how much protein, carbs, fat, etc. is in it?

Most powders have sugar added to them, that is probably enough to induce the insulin spike you're after.

Here is the nutritional information for my powder:

Serving Size: 30 grams
Calories: 110
Total Fat: 1.5 grams
Total Carbs: 2 grams
Protein: 23 grams

2 grams of carbs in the shake won't do it, but the added fruit will help. If you're really concerned about getting an insulin spike then add in some caramel topping, or even just a spoonful of sugar. Whether or not getting an insulin spike is desirable though is debatable, cause you grow over 36 hours, so you want stable insulin levels over that time. After the spike comes the crash...

So if you're eating lots of complex carbs during the day then that'll be fine.

You don't GET insulin spike post workout. From what I've studied, the simple carbs go to replacing glycogen in the muscles. It's the one time of day you can actually eat sugar if you want. Fructose is a no-no since it converts to glycogen in the liver, not the muscles that need it. Fruit fructose is less than what you'd ingest by packets or bottles.
Here's a calculator for PWO shakes:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/pwcalculator.php

Wouldn't some fructose actually be optimal since the liver will refill it's glycogen before it lets the muscles get theirs? And since fructose stays in the liver, that would seem like it would leave more glucose free to become muscle glycogen? I'm asking because I don't know.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 12 2006,03:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You don't GET insulin spike post workout.</div>
you do if you eat protein or carbs

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 12 2006,03:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm asking because I don't know.</div>
Within the context of resistance training it wont really matter.

I was taught (from BB science, not hearsay) that it was okay to use some fruit in your shakes, along with the simple carbs, and yes, fruit IS a simple carb, but a different sugar than sucrose or dextrose. Then about an hour or so later, to intake some complex carbs to stabilize sugar levels and continue to feed the body.

That's about it; I don't like to complicate things.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 13 2006,12:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was taught (from BB science, not hearsay) that it was okay to use some fruit in your shakes, along with the simple carbs, and yes, fruit IS a simple carb, but a different sugar than sucrose or dextrose. Then about an hour or so later, to intake some complex carbs to stabilize sugar levels and continue to feed the body.

That's about it; I don't like to complicate things.</div>
the sugar in fruit is either fructose, sucrose, glucose or a mixture of these.

I don't see how that is going to matter anyway. Unless you are cutting, you're going to have food left in your stomach regardless, so even if you drink a &quot;fast shake&quot; it will still be slow due to the food already in your stomach.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 14 2006,01:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sorry, not to disagree, but:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/laywindowsemi.php

(layman's version for us nonscientists)</div>
Except that I am a scientist

ABCbbing is not exactly the best site to post as evidence of anything, as they are typically on the fringe of reality at the best of time.

The references they provide do not actually support using a fast protein over a slow protein, and some are just plain disingenuous

synthesis5pf.jpg

breakdown7zw.jpg

Changes in muscle protein synthesis (top) and muscle protein breakdwon (bottom) with whey, casein or a mixture (ie milk)
With whey Synthesis and breakdown are massively increased (becasue thats the fun of injecting a lot of amino acids quickly) this would be associated with a lovely increase in urea production as the aminos are wizzed out.

With casein the peak of synthesis is lower but breakdown is far lower as the amino acids are not being broken down as they appear.

With a mixture, in this example it was 50:50 from memory, you get the best of both worlds. Greater synthesis + less breakdown = more balance.

Back