Is this new?

<div>
(bgates1654 @ May 14 2008,7:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The reason I like high pulls is due to the fact that they make heavy power cleans seem lighter and give me more confidence in racking it.</div>
I hear that brother! I want to do some snatches &amp; am thinking high pulls would carry over to them as well. those two lifts make me wish I had bumpers...cause I'd be a weight dropping fool.

have also heard that high pulls have a carry over to deadlifts as the neurvous system gets used to pulling the weight off the floor quickly. and I'm ASSuming a person can high pull more than they can clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6t5lW6ev0
What is the advantage of the wide grip here? You obviously have to use a bit lesser weight, which unloads the legs and back. Just asking; I'm no Oly guy of any sort.
FF: good question on reps. My O.P. was referring ONLY to the principle of breaking an even balance, which assumes that you were doing things equally, I.E.; HST reps, 5x5, or whatever. Then when you change the balance, nothing changes repwise (why would it?) but one of the exersizes would be done half as much as before. The thing adjusted would be the weight, since that exersize may or may not keep up with the progression - but I say may not because the alternate exersize is a Protagonist, not an Antagonist, you see?
In gymspeak, it's favoring one thing while not losing the other. The 5x5, as I've just been reminded, was incorporating a light day in the scheme, similar to doing an alternate.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 15 2008,9:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6t5lW6ev0
What is the advantage of the wide grip here?</div>
Dag! Was that a snatch-grip deadlift? I had to watch it three times before I even noticed she had hands...  
blush.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What is the advantage of the wide grip here?</div>

The wide grip increases the ROM on the legs and lower back. It also forces the musculature of the middle back to fire in order to stabilize the scapula. Snatch Deads are known for their back thickening ability.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You obviously have to use a bit lesser weight, which unloads the legs and back.</div>

Right you are, and the lower weight is because of the greater range of motion.

Her version was very clean with good form. In practice, I place my hands completely outside the rings. This increases the ROM even more. To make it worse, I stand on an aerobics platform. The bar is but an inch above my foot as a result. If you want to keep the stress on the mid to lower back lift the bar to about knee level and then return. You can also do Snatch Grip Rack Pulls, which allow for more weight. They are also said to be good back builders.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 15 2008,8:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you see?
In gymspeak, it's favoring one thing while not losing the other.</div>
I do see and this makes a lot of sense to me, well said.

edit- TR, lol...that kills me. watched it 3x before noticing the hands...

Back