Leonardopm's Bulking Log

I'm certain you could pull a lot more than 102kg considering the amount of time you've been training and that your squat has almost the same 1RM. Deadlift is the type of movement where you might think you're near max but in reality the bar is moving a lot faster than you think.

DL 5, 4, 3, 3 96kg
Pull-ups 5,5,3,2 BW (99kg)
OHP 5,5,5 42kg
Squat 5,5,5 74kg
Bench 5,4,3,3 82kg
Facepulls 8,8,8 45kg
Rack pulls 5,4,4 106kg

Load is 90% of 5RM.
Bench - 101kg
Squat - 97kg
Dead - 102kg

Is your 1rm for deads correct at 102kgs as in another post you lifted 96kgs for 5 reps and stated this was at 90% of 5rm which would suggest a projected 1rm of between 120 - 125kgs

Is your 1rm for deads correct at 102kgs as in another post you lifted 96kgs for 5 reps and stated this was at 90% of 5rm which would suggest a projected 1rm of between 120 - 125kgs

Damn, you are completely right. I put 5RM instead of 1RM. This would be 115kg.

The other lifts are correct.

Yesterday:

DL 5,5,5 100kg
Chins 5,5,5 BW (99kg)
OHP 5,5,5 44kg
Squat 5,5,5 78kg
Bench 5,5 86kg
Facepulls 8,8,8 48kg
Rack pulls 5,5,3 108kg

These rack pulls are heavy shit. Traps and erectors are stiff and sore today. IT clearly has more focus on traps (and less on erectors) than DLs.

Yesterday:

DL 5,5,5 104kg
Chins 5,5,4 BW (99kg) + 4kg
OHP 5,5,5 46kg
Squat 5,5,5 82kg
Bench 5,4,1 90kg
Facepulls 8,8,8 48kg

I consider deads to be the foundation of my personal training. Putting that aside, I think they are inarguably the most functional movement (grab something and stand up with it) - at least until we can train throwing something (I suppose there's always shotput ... ).

The best structure for training them, in my opinion, is to work them 3 days per week (asusme, MWF, but TuThSa, or SuTuTh - whatever, is also fine).

Day 1:

- Work up to approximately 90% and do 8-12 singles. 3-5min break between reps. When you can do 4 doubles at this weight (turning singles into doubles), then up the weight.
- Heavy block pulls (singles, doubles or triples)
- Chins, 2x8RM
- Leg press/squat in 5RM range, 10-15 reps.

Day 2: - what many would consider a 'power day', but Mike T has shown that you cannot reach your maximal speed (requiring maximal force) without putting around 80-85% on the bar. Otherwise known as 'not speed training'. Here you're working on a weakness, using the ideal exercise in terms of ROM and targeting (of sorts). This means almost certainly a focus on deficits.

- 8-12 singles at about 85-90% of your deficit max.
- Something for hamstrings, but not SLDL/RDL; GHR, leg curls, wide stance squat (not a box squat).
- Rows; 12-15 reps at 5-3RM range
- Shrugs (keep them moderate here, tending more to volume than load).

Day 3:

- Use approximately 85% of your deadlift max and try to achieve 10-15 reps of your 3RM. If you can do 3,3,3,3 or 3,3,3,3,3 - depending on energy levels etc. (basically once you know you've beaten the weight), then add weight and start again, turning doubles into triples or even 4s to achieve your rep target.
- Same for block pulls; lifting at 4-5RM
- Chins, 2x8RM
- Leg press/squat in 5RM range, 10-15 reps.

Everything not a deadlift or deficit is considered an accessory and purposed towards building your strength and structural integrity; repetition, connective tissue, fatigue management and strength endurance.

Fit in irrelevant stuff like bench press wherever you like ;)

Thank you very much Jester.

I have lots of questions but probably won't put all them now...I'm writing on an iPhone under a shitty 3G connection.

What I can say for now is that looks like a solid program but I'm somewhat unsure if I can trade hypertrophy (HST based or not) for a so strength-oriented routine.

I've been also thinking a way of reducing DL volume and raise rack pulls, since I have big glutes that are getting even bigger with regular DL work.

I'm also not sure if I got the point of training squat and chins on the same load range everytime.

About bench, well...I don't give a shit also, but I won't have a dip station one my next gym complex (I'm moving there in a few weeks) so better keep benching until I have time and budget to join a professional gym.

What I can say for now is that looks like a solid program but I'm somewhat unsure if I can trade hypertrophy (HST based or not) for a so strength-oriented routine.

I'd think you'd have a lot more potential for growth if you focused on increasing your numbers.

You aren't trading hypertrophy for strength. Hypertrophy follows strength.

No doubt. They are correlated but not absolutely proportional, otherwise we'd see Olympic lifters huge as BBs.

What do you think about changing one of heavy days for a volume day? Something on a 8-12 rep range?

And what about centering the routine on rack pulls instead of DLs? Can I get stronger at DLs doing them once or twice a week?

Day 3 IS a volume day.

8-12 reps is fairly useless for getting a deadlift significantly stronger. And not particularly useful for optimised hypertrophy either.

Rack Pulls are a partial Deadlift, they just happen to have their own name. There's very little reason to design a deadlift routine around the partial of that movement, just as you wouldn't design a bench press routine around only taking the bar down until it's 3-4inches above your chest.

Re: OL'ers - there's a million reasons for this, but to touch on just a few;

- Dmitri Klokov - Google him
- Weight classes
- Concentric vs eccentric movements
- Bodyfat %

This Klokov is a monster. Awesome physique. Obviously AAS have big role in his condition.

Ok, a few more questions:

1) If I understood right the routine is centered around DL + specific accessory lifts that contributes to optimizing DL (rows, shrugs, squat, etc), so it's not a closed list and I should add to the sessions the other movements like OHP, bench, etc, correct?

2) Assuming the above is correct, how should I progress on the "irrelevant stuff"? Double step? Should I cycle ranges for it DUP style?

3) The accessory lifts already prescribed by you should follow the same double step progression as DL? If yes, when should I increase loads?

Thanks.

Yesterday:

DLs - 5,5,5 - 104kg
OHP - 5,5,3,2 - 46kg
Chins - 5,4,3,3 - BW@98kg + 4kg
Squat - 5,3,3,2,2 - 82kg (myo-reps style)
Calf raise - 5,5,3,2 - 75kg - drop - 15 (30kg)
Facepulls - 8,8,8 - 48kg
Dips - 5,5,5 - BW + 4kg

I'll be ending my HST cycle after a few days. Will try Jester's routine but need to clarify the questions above and also workaround the limitations of my current (and the future) gym. To do 104kg DLs I have to use almost all plates on the gym. The barbell is too short so I have to do magic to fit all the plates on it...hard times.

Myo-reps on squats, you are brave!!!! How long between 'sets'

They don't have four 20kg plates?

Not so brave. Around 25 seconds.

No, they don't have even ONE miserable 20kg plate. It's a residential complex gym, so well suited for ladies and teenagers but insufficient for people willing to do serious work.

Rack pulls 5,5,3,2 110kg
Chins 5,4,3,3 BW@99kg + 6kg
OHP 5,4,3,1,1,1 48kg
Calf raise 5,5,5 77kg - drop - 13 (30kg)
Leg press 6,5,6 82kg
Bench 5,3,2 90kg
Face pulls 10,10,10 45,5kg

Fucked my back today doing rack pulls. I know I'm being stupid for doing it on a Smith machine but at my current gym I have no choice. It seems that the right rail was not properly lubricated and it unbalanced the load. screwing up my right erector. Took a painkiller and put a spray but it's still hurting. Hope to get better soon.

I should have kept doing regular DLs.

There's nothing you can put the bar on as a substitution for a rack and do block/box pulls? My gym has no safety pins but we do have these rectangular things you can stack that people use for who knows what but I've used to mess around w/. Not optimal but better than nothing.

Make sure to ice it whenever you're in pain. Muscle strains suck.

Back