Long legs and short torso

Discussion in 'Strength-Specific Training (SST)' started by aamar, Apr 28, 2013.

1. aamar

aamar Member

I was commented on my deadlift technique and was told that my hips where too high making my back parallel. I have long arms and legs and short torso, should I place the bar further away from myself to lower my hips ? And is my form bad ?

Thanks
    Aamar

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Couple of thoughts:

-Try a video from your/someones phone and post it here for my precise critique and advice

-Some proportions just aren't great for deadlifting; I'm in this boat, as is anyone over about 175cm (ish)

-Try and visualise your butt hitting your ankles (and then make it happen) at the bottom, and look up at the ceiling during your reps, especially during the lift portion

-Bar further away seems like it lead to injury, and not solve the issue either

3. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't place the bar further away. Get a video up so we can critique. Get your butt lower. Have you read Rippetoe's deadlift analysis yet?

4. aamar

aamar Member

I got someone to check it out they said my form was good. I think it i was concentrating on starting the bar at mid foot, rather than getting to the bar as close as i can. But i will get a video, my phone camera isn't working but as soon as i can get a video I will upload it.

Thanks
    Aamar

5. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

Do not adjust the bar because you think your hips are too high. The bar needs to be over the middle of the foot, counting the part of the foot under and behind your calf (so middle of the foot does NOT only mean the part of the foot you can see when looking down). Hence, as Rippetoe states, it needs to be an inch from your shins at the start of your lift, when you're standing straight up. Bend your legs so the shins come in contact with the bar without lowering your hips or moving the bar, push your chest up hard so your back is flexed, fill belly with air, and pull.

Your back angle, if the bar is set right, is completely dependent on your individual limb lengths, like you stated. But you shouldn't compensate simply because you feel the need to "look" like other deadlifters. If you do that, the bar will shift away from under your scapula and you will compensate by pulling it back under your scapula during the lift at the compromise of an inefficient and thus weaker pull, and/or lower back rounding. That's why you see people's hips shoot up before the bar comes off the ground when they've set up wrong. The bar will NOT come off the ground until it's under your scapula, unless of course you're pulling a relatively light weight.

If you're feeling inhibited when you pull, or your shoulders are bellow your hips, you either need to fix your deadlift start position or you should do some mobility work. Really tight hamstrings can wreck a deadlift.

Post your deadlift video here or on the Starting Strength forums.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

I've seen most big deadlifters advocate a neutral neck and head pushed back so a double chin is made during deadlift, which should push your shoulders a bit more back and lead to a slightly more vertical back angle. Personally, I feel more comfortable when my head is neutral, and I find I can do this better when I'm not deadlifting in front of a mirror, which causes me to stare at myself lol.