Losing Too Fast??

Fred

Started a cut monday, 19.4.2015 , 4 days ago, weight showed 87.8kgs, waist measured at 93cm.

Today, 23.4.2015 weight showed 86.4kgs. Waist measured at 91cm.

Weighted with same clothes, same time.

Bulking with 3300kcals.
Started the cut with 2495
190 pounds x 13 2470

Allways had dificult bullking.
Allways very easy to loose weight.
Prone to loose strenght anda size.

Should i be woried or should i wait a few more days?

You will probably lose more weight in the first week or two as you have probably cut a fair chunk of carbs from your diet and therefore this is more than likely to be water loss, you need to judge your weight loss over weeks rather than days before you make any drastic changes to calorie intake.

For the record my body weight can fluctuate 1-2 lbs daily despite eating the same foods etc, I do weigh myself everyday (as I am anal) but I then on Fridays I log my weight from the average of the following 3 averages (1 - average weight of all 7 days / 2 - remove the highest and lowest weights and average the remaining 5 days / 3 - the average of the last 3 days) as these figures are generally all within 0.5 lbs or less of each other.

I see you have calculated your caloric intake based on body weight in pounds multiplied by 13 but as you are training 6 days per week this maybe a little too low, I say this as I also train 6 days per week and started my slow cut at a slightly lower body weight (naked @ 85.14 kgs) on 30 January initially @ body weight x 17 then after 2 weeks reduced this to x 16 and held this for 7 weeks with an average weight loss 0.5 lbs per week and currently at x 15.5 as want to lose nearer a 1 lb per week.

Thanks for the help Mick!
I read your training log frequently ;)

There are many diferentes in ouro trainings. I have around half your volume and no cardio that should place lower in the calories intake no?

I will check again after the seventh day and will Adjust as you say.

Regarding carbs i havê a high intake (40% protein 45% carb and 15% fat). I will never do a low carb diet again as mas tende to go away and you feel a lot more tired.

Thanks for your insight!!

There are many diferentes in ouro trainings. I have around half your volume and no cardio that should place lower in the calories intake no?

I wouldn't say my volume is double as I only do 2 sets of 4 exercises per day but I do get what you are saying, training 6 days a week does seem to require significantly higher calories per day just to maintain body weight. Maybe that is why you struggle to bulk @ 3300 calories (bw x 17?) - I used to eat up to 4000 to gain just 1 lb per week!!

Regarding carbs i havê a high intake (40% protein 45% carb and 15% fat). I will never do a low carb diet again as mas tende to go away and you feel a lot more tired.

My intake is similar to yours, I aim for 1.5 g of Protein per lb of body weight then allow around 20% in fats then the remainder of calories from carbs - was your intake 40 /45 / 15 when you were bulking?

Last edited:
In respect of your carbohydrate intake also bear in mind that for every gramme of carbohydrate you consume your body stores 4 grammes of water so if you consumed around 45% when you were bulking then you are now consuming approximately 100 grammes less and therefore almost 0.5 kgs of the weight loss could be water alone.

Last edited:
@mickc1965 ,

Carb intake is the same as bulking, i am with less proteíns and less fat but carbs remained the same, that is why i found this strange.

Performance in strenght seems unaffected so far. Endurance is lowering as expected.

Should i wait a few more days??

@mickc1965 ,

Carb intake is the same as bulking, i am with less proteíns and less fat but carbs remained the same, that is why i found this strange.

Performance in strenght seems unaffected so far. Endurance is lowering as expected.

Should i wait a few more days??

I would wait a few more days at least but I would stick at it for another week and see what the weight loss is before changing intake, couple of questions
  1. what is your intended weight loss per week?
  2. what was your average weight gain at 3300 calories?

Hi Mick!

1 my goal would be around 0.5 to 1lbs, the slower the better.

2 i would win around 1lbs a week but i would eat more likely around 3400 kcal. At 3000kcal i stalled.

If you were gaining approximately 1 lb per week at 3400 calories and you stopped gaining weight at 3000 calories then this would suggest that your maintenance calories are in the region of 2900 - 3000 per day, if you want to lose weight at the slower rate of 0.5 lbs per week then you should really up your calories to around 2650 - 2750 per day - so that would be either body weight x 14 or 14.5 rather than the 13 you are currently working to.

If you were gaining approximately 1 lb per week at 3400 calories and you stopped gaining weight at 3000 calories then this would suggest that your maintenance calories are in the region of 2900 - 3000 per day, if you want to lose weight at the slower rate of 0.5 lbs per week then you should really up your calories to around 2650 - 2750 per day - so that would be either body weight x 14 or 14.5 rather than the 13 you are currently working to.

Mick, tomorrow is the seventh day since i begun my diet, will play accordingly. But i realy believe i lost 1kg allready, as today the weight was again 86.4kgs.
I believe your math is very solid and that is what i will.
Hopefully not much muscle have gone away yet.

Protein should be higher during a cut than during a bulk. Increased protein has an effect on protein synthesis and overall helps stave off hunger. Reducing protein intake during a cut could possibly increase risk of lean mass loss.

@Totentanz proteíns intake is 225. Its more than 1g for kg. Wont that be enough?

Here are the values of the macros:

P225 C290 F59
Total 2620

That allready as an increased cals from the beggining as it seems i am loosing a bit too fast.

Personally i would up your protein to 1.5 g per lb of body weight and also increase the fat to 80 g for health reasons and then remainder in carbs

Personally i would up your protein to 1.5 g per lb of body weight and also increase the fat to 80 g for health reasons and then remainder in carbs

That should be around 235 protein. To up the fat, carbs must go. I will consider and post here the final numbers.

Final week weight: 86.1. (-1.7) kg

Raising the calories to 2700 (+300) as i AM loosing too fast!

Measures:
Bis: 32 relaxed (0) / 36 (-1) flex
Waist 90 (-3)
Chest: 105 (+2) / 96 (0)
Leg 60 (0)

Performance keeps rising so i guess o shouldnt worry.
Chest is bigger??? A nice surprise! Measured 3 times to be sure ;)

Bis flexed lost 1cm no surprises there i guess..

Definitely more lean in the ABS zone.

Up the calories seems like a good idea? What do you say?

Last edited:
As long as you are not losing strength, the rate of weight loss should not be an area of major concern. You will need to reduce calories as you lose weight anyway to adjust for the lowered metabolism.

You can't really judge weight loss on a day to day basis. Losing a couple kilograms over the course of the first week of cutting is to be expected as you'll be storing less glyocogen, water retention will fluctuate, etc, due to the reduced calories. Don't get hung up on the day to day weight fluctuations. You want to focus more on the average change from week to week instead. I would never make adjustments to calories until at least two weeks have elapsed during a cut.

@totentaz,
It still was a big lost. Today's weight was 84.8 (-3kg/6pounds).
Troughout the week, day after day, never flutuated up, everyday the weight lowered.

Diet is very sólid and i am keeping rigid on the calories.

I will see today if strenght remains impaired and based on it decide what to do.

Just for illustrative purposes, you should know that you can easily lose 5 lbs in a single day through water weight loss and if you are lifting, through loss of stored glycogen. You can drive that number even higher if you are determined to.
If you are restricting calories, then it is natural that the first week, you will continue to use stored muscle glycogen that won't be completely replenished due to the lowered calories, which will result in lower numbers on the scale. You will almost always see this your first week or two of a diet. Once you get the first rapid loss of weight and it levels out then you can start worrying about whether you are losing too fast/not fast enough.

But moral of the story, there really is no reason to fear you are losing weight too fast. That's great, if your strength levels are staying the same or improving, you aren't losing significant muscle, so why wouldn't you want to get done with the diet sooner?

Back