Machines?

Joe.Muscle

Hey guys I have been doing Compounds with mostly dumbells and barbells for past 2 or 3 cycles. Had great results.

I was just wondering what is everyone opinion on using Machines with HST like Hammerstrength as well as regular say chest press machines?

I know they are not as good as overall mass builder but what about for targeting certain areas of body?

There's a thread around somewhere with a lengthy debate on machines versus free weights, can't remember who started it.

For my money I like machines for isolation movements like pec dec, pullover machine & also use cables for lateral and bentover lateral raises. That's because the resistance is constant with a machine.

Otherwise mainly use free weights, funnily enough I do for bis and tris having just said I like machines for isolation exercises! Don't really like the machines available but I might start using cable curls.

I don't see any problem using machines for other exercises if you want though, in fact it can make it easier to monitor your increments.

Cheers

Rob

There's no question that free weight is the more natural path for an individuals body to take. I mean, unless you're doing those awkward behind the neck military's, your body is going to follow it's most comfortable arc, pull, press, whatever.

The real benefit with free weight is in the stabilizer muscle involvement, like the serratus or infraspinatus for pressing.
I believe that working with free weight as opposed to machines develops these minor muscles and adds to your overall strength.

However, I'm prone to shoulder and knee injury because of sloppy lifting as a teen. So when my joints act up, I'll head for a machine. It's a safer way to train if you are nursing one.

later

Can I respectfully disagree?

There are some awsome machines out there, and if one applies HST principles, one should grow pretty well.

Yes I also agree that free weights are more natural, however the machine route can be just as satisfying, I think getting too technical will not get us anywhere.

It is like the ever growing trend of scientists trying to discredit this or that because it causes cancer but with very little proof, thus making a technical debate of something not quitre sound enough to be discussed outside the laboratory realm!

I like the look of this machine for instance:

The best IMO is to use a mixture of the two to one's best advantage!

Good Point Fausto.

As a matter fact I think I am going to try this out for a cycle.

I am going to do Wide Chest Hammerstrength and really try to increase weights frequently. I will do this 2 days a week and still use 10 degree dumbell press once a week.

Also I bought some 40 pound dumbells about month ago.

They are more like my 20 rep max...I thought about doing 2 or 3 sets inbetween my normal workouts....but that could be too much...causing overtraining.

Any thoughts?

My bugbear with a lot of machines (particularly the cable types) is that there is always a certain amount of friction involved that works against me when I raise the weight stack but that works with me when I lower it. So, the effect is that the weight feels heavier when I lift it than when I lower it. This effect seems much more apparent with the cable machines than with the leverage machines. Nautilus machines don't seem to suffer as much either. Better bearings maybe?

The cable machine that I use for seated rowing is brilliant for negatives but I can't just use my calculated weight. I find I have to add up to 20% more weight to my calculated values to get the exercise to feel heavy enough. Weight values calculated for free-weight negs feel spot on.

It just occurred to me that the machines often use cams to vary the force needed to raise the load. However, I don't think it is just this that causes the effect.

Back