Max Stim Question

sayw0rd

Hello, I've posted on the Max Stim Q&A forum but I think it's no longer being used so I'll try my luck here.

I've read through the whole 8 pages and the ebook but I must be stupid because there are some things I don't understand
sad.gif

I'll try to be as clear as possible!

1) 1rep per M-time right? Up to 20 reps in total, yes?

2) 1 set per exercise?

3) Once your eccentric time slows down significantly, add 10secs and keep going?

4) Once your M-time is 30secs, do you quit even though you haven't reached your 20reps?

5) Let's say I reach my 20th rep and I feel like I can do more and my M-time is only 15secs and not the 30sec. mark. Should I keep going until I reach M-time of 30secs. or stop. Should I add more weights next time?

because I just experimented with my left arm on hammer curls. I can do 6RM of 40lbs. and 75% of that is 30lbs. I used M-time of 3secs and it eventually went up to M-time of 15 on my 20th rep. I could've went a lot longer if I had to stop at the 30sec. mark.

6) I've noticed on the ebook that the phase caters to a 4day workout per week. I don't really have time to do that so I use the 3x per week program. Should I still be increasing my weights 5% like the 4day per wk program?

7) Each phase is 4weeks, correct?

Sorry if this seems redundant, I'm sure you vets get these questions all the time
smile.gif

Hello, I've posted on the Max Stim Q&A forum but I think it's no longer being used so I'll try my luck here.

You are quite correct: Dan's forum is no longer being kept up to date. Rather he posts here when he finds something interesting.

I've read through the whole 8 pages and the ebook but I must be stupid because there are some things I don't understand  
sad.gif

Welcome to the Major Leagues! There's stuff here that a lot of us don't understand...

1) 1rep per M-time right? Up to 20 reps in total, yes?

2) 1 set per exercise?

Yup.

3) Once your eccentric time slows down significantly, add 10secs and keep going?

No, it's not about the eccentric; it's about managing fatigue. If you find yourself getting tired, add a few seconds to your M-time. It doesn't need to be 10 seconds.

I usually start with an M-time of 3 to 5 seconds per rep. After 5 to 7 reps, I may increase that M-time just a bit. After 10 reps I may add a bit more, and so on. It usually works out to about one second per rep.

4) Once your M-time is 30secs, do you quit even though you haven't reached your 20reps?

No, don't quit. You go until you reach 20 reps. If your M-time reaches past 30 seconds, it's probably a sign that you're lifting a bit too heavy. My M-time only approaches 30 seconds when I am close to the end of a cycle and doing frankly rather heavy lifts.

Dan doesn't make clear all the reasoning behind the 30-second limit, but I think it has to do with the earth opening up beneath you and swallowing you alive...

5) Let's say I reach my 20th rep and I feel like I can do more and my M-time is only 15secs and not the 30sec. mark. Should I keep going until I reach M-time of 30secs. or stop. Should I add more weights next time?

No and no. M-time is very subjective, however it is only rarely that you should get as high as 30 seconds. Do the weights indicated according to the program. It works!

because I just experimented with my left arm on hammer curls. I can do 6RM of 40lbs. and 75% of that is 30lbs. I used M-time of 3secs and it eventually went up to M-time of 15 on my 20th rep. I could've went a lot longer if I had to stop at the 30sec. mark.

Yeah, ain't it great? M-time lets us use more weight with less fatigue. However, we are after planned hypertrophy here, not marathon curls. So just stick with the weights as scheduled. You'll find the iron will catch up to you after a bit.

6) I've noticed on the ebook that the phase caters to a 4day workout per week. I don't really have time to do that so I use the 3x per week program. Should I still be increasing my weights 5% like the 4day per wk program?

You can use a 3x per week set up (that's what I usually do). The weights progress just the same.

7) Each phase is 4weeks, correct?

If you survive that long, yes.

Sorry if this seems redundant, I'm sure you vets get these questions all the time
smile.gif

These are good questions. Besides, what the hell, I have no life...

Tunnelrat, thanks for the reply!

yea..i dont know why but your last comment made me laugh out loud

EDIT: One more thing, about the 1 set per exercise, does that mean I can't do another exercise for let's say my biceps? Only do 1 exercise per muscle?

You can do more exercises for a bodypart. Doing so will take more of your recovery ability. Bear in mind that all rowing and pulldown movements involve the biceps.

Back