McDonalds Diet Revisited

edge, I sometimes look at the workout journal of a guy who is about 6' by 250lbs, mostly lean and *really* strong. This guy seems to need 6000+ calories a day just to maintain.

He does some impressive workouts, but not overly long. Just really heavy weights somewhat similar to a 5x5 routine.

The point being that I suspect that there is a wide variance in calorie requirements. Your 3340 is probably not far off for me, but maybe low for the guy that wrote the article.

The main reason I don't eat three meals/day at MCD's isn't because of fear of getting fat.  It is more fear of getting high blood pressure, high cholesterol and chronic digestive problems.  But once in awhile I love to have a big cheeseburger, it tastes good and has a ton of calories and protein which I need when trying to put on muscle.

(p.s.- nothing beats a good beef-steak though! Even MORE calories and protein, great after a hard workout, especially when bulking.
tounge.gif
)

Lifting N Tx, yeah.. maybe he has some crazy metabolizm.

One of my friends is actually a manager at McDonalds and he's eating about 5 burgers a day + whatever he eats at home... doesn't workout... he's about 5.7' and 160 pounds. and he's LEAN and pretty muscular for his height... he's around 6-7% bf.... really lean.. never had to do sh*t.

go figure... I guess what works for some people doesn't always work for others.

Dan, thanks for the article. i needed something as inspirational as this, since i'm on a bulk and abit tired of force feeding myself with grass, roots and dry meats. heh )

<div>
(edgeArchitect @ Nov. 01 2006,15:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">3 days OFF gym out of 30,.. not bad.

i just did averages for his daily caloric intake &amp; gym time and they are:

daily caloric intake = 4437 calories aprox,
daily exercise time = 65 minutes aprox.

based on his characteristics (age, weight, height, daily gym time/lifestyle) (www.nutritiondata.com)

Estimated Energy Requirement: 3340 kcal.

so he was 1000kcal above maintainance. hmm... that's alot. almost 30% in surplus.

what do you think?</div>
Something isn't right with your result.......too low

I'm coming up with about 4200 Kcal for maintenance on this guy using Harris-Benedict which includes basal + activity, I did reduce his age in the BMR calculation (I doubt that his metabolic age would equate correctly) and used 1.9 activity factor, since obviously he is extremely active.

So he was only slightly above maintenance according to math........... but........ in reality he was negative or he wouldn't have lost 8 lbs fat.

Is it not possible that he had increased his gym time, added more cardio, etc.? That would have raised his maintenance cals. from wherever he was. It seems highly probable that he did, since he was out to prove that you can eat slug food and not explode.
I had a double quarter pounder after the workout today...forgot how good those things taste! (had to go somewhere in a hurry...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

quadancer
biggrin.gif

Dan, i was using some lame formula.

4200? heh. did you take his age down to 25? )

<div>
(quadancer @ Nov. 02 2006,18:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is it not possible that he had increased his gym time, added more cardio, etc.? That would have raised his maintenance cals. from wherever he was. It seems highly probable that he did, since he was out to prove that you can eat slug food and not explode.</div>
Looks like he increased his gym time the more he ate, just as he would if he was getting those calories from cleaner sources. Why would he need to increase his gym time because he went from a cleaner diet to a fast food diet if he was controlling the calories &amp; made sure to get enough protein?

lol, I sent him an email, he didnt take any multis during the 30 days and didnt change his workout routine.

<div>
(edgeArchitect @ Nov. 02 2006,19:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan, i was using some lame formula.

4200? heh. did you take his age down to 25? )</div>
Yup 25

Again this was just a guess based on his level of fitness, I had doubts that one should use his real age of 48, he looked more like 25, except the face.

There is a guy here (and my place) who posts as Zoomz he is 58 and he looks like he's 20 physique wise, it's amazing.

Point being in some cases you need to adjust the equations to fit the person IMOO

Tried a bit of Mcdonald's myself yesterday. When I cut using less carbs and more fat, fast food is a vital part of that. However, after these many months of trying to get tons of low fat calories, quality carbohydrates, and enough good quality protein my tastes have apparently changed. The McRib and Big mac made me a bit sick.

I still say that when eating high carbs, one should limit fat and when eating high fat, one should limit carbs. Excess glycogen, higher insulin levels, and fat in the system is not the best combination for good health. On occasion, there is no harm in it.

vagrant, quadancer,

I wonder how many more people, since this thread began, made and exeption and had a nice juicy fat ass burger for lunch?

me!
tounge.gif

Back