McDonalds Diet Revisited

Cool link, Dan.

I myself end up eating lots of fast food these days. (McD, KFC, Wendy's... oh, the joy of eating when you are a busy man! ) In fact, just today, couldn't leave home even though it's a holiday because I had so much work to do on my laptop, I just ordered from McDonald's, and had two cheeseburgers, two regular fries, two apple pies, and two regular cokes delivered to my house.

Suffice it to say, with 3x a week of pushing and pulling weights, I'm ok. I'm not gaining like crazy (not my goal now because I'm really strapped for time, just don't want my muscles to atrophy badly), but I'm in good shape.

I felt that the conclusion was very, very incomplete. Also, do you think he might have been a bit more rigid with his cals and exersize than normally, that would account for the improvements? I felt like he had an agenda for proving the naysayers wrong, which is probably why he only listed the health improvements.

Did anyone see that documentary on the guy who didn't exersize, but ate only at the Clown for a month? At week two the docs said his liver profile looked like a lifetime alcoholic and he should quit immediately. He gained 27 lbs., but took something like 3 or so months to get it off. His bloodwork was totally lousy.

Our healthy guy started with a better body, of course, that was more fuel efficient, but I'm willing to bet that something is amiss since he went from I suppose a BODYBUILDING diet to a FAST FOOD diet and got improvements? Bullcrap.

It's true that MickyDee's won't kill you, and you can even grow from it; just don't try to tell me that it's just as good as our diets. This bud's for you, brother Tot!
biggrin.gif

My 2 cents.

In the short term the number of calories is whats important. If you want to gain wait you need to more, and if you want to lose then you need less. Where you get those calories is not all that important.

In the long run, its the quality of the calories. If you eat nothing but fastfood in long run your health will suffer. If you eat a good variety of food with a diet high in fruits and vegetables you are giving yourself a good chance to maximize your life.

Diet is the single largest contributing factor that we can all control.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 31 2006,09:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I felt that the conclusion was very, very incomplete. Also, do you think he might have been a bit more rigid with his cals and exersize than normally, that would account for the improvements? I felt like he had an agenda for proving the naysayers wrong, which is probably why he only listed the health improvements.

Did anyone see that documentary on the guy who didn't exersize, but ate only at the Clown for a month? At week two the docs said his liver profile looked like a lifetime alcoholic and he should quit immediately. He gained 27 lbs., but took something like 3 or so months to get it off. His bloodwork was totally lousy.

Our healthy guy started with a better body, of course, that was more fuel efficient, but I'm willing to bet that something is amiss since he went from I suppose a BODYBUILDING diet to a FAST FOOD diet and got improvements? Bullcrap.

It's true that MickyDee's won't kill you, and you can even grow from it; just don't try to tell me that it's just as good as our diets. This bud's for you, brother Tot!  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Well since his log is very well maintained including calories ingested and expended I don't see your point.

The guy who did it inversely was Spurlock and as evidenced here the effect of exercise is very powerful and that is the point.

Now is Micky D's the most nutritous, no probably not as I would assume it lacks in some nutrients and fibers. But again that's not the point the point is...........

the results seen in the Spurlock &quot;Supersize me&quot; documentary was not solely based on him eating McD's, it was also largely based on the fact that he sat on his a$$ all day while doing it and if one were to move about regularly the effects aren't nearly as drastic. This would include lipoproteins, liver, and all the other effects seen from sitting on your duff and eating 2X the needed caloric levels, and would still occur no matter the food choice.

In the conclusion, he states that &quot;a protein calorie is no different from a fat calorie -- they are simply units of energy. As long as you burn what you eat, you will maintain your weight; and as long as you burn more than you eat, you will lose weight. But if we're talking nutrition, it definitely matters where those calories originate.&quot;

From his study, it would appear that the source of calories does not matter when it comes to nutrition either, as his cholesterol and blood pressure both improved on the mcd's diet.  I wish he had a blood test and whatever other tests he could take to provide more information.   Nice article though, I enjoyed it.

Pretty interesting, the guy is obviously media-savvy, and knows how to get attention to make his point.

Pretty simply a calorie is a calorie. Getting too many calories from less than optimal food choices can make it hard to get all the other nutrients you need, but if you take care of basic nutrition and protein I figure the rest is just a question of &quot;how much fuel do I need&quot;? Then get it from something, which sometimes may be from &quot;junk&quot; foods.

<div>
(jvroig @ Oct. 31 2006,08:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just ordered from McDonald's, and had .....delivered to my house.</div>
Two questions:

Where'n the hell does mcdonalds deliver?

And why not just opt for a large fry and large coke?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Franko @ Oct. 31 2006,10:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In the long run, its the quality of the calories. If you eat nothing but fastfood in long run your health will suffer. If you eat a good variety of food with a diet high in fruits and vegetables you are giving yourself a good chance to maximize your life.</div>
Can you provide some evidence that fast food will ruin your health in the long run, even if you are exercising regularly?

Can you explain why someone like me who eats out constantly, lifts constantly, etc has better overall health than people who don't eat out and also don't exercise?

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Oct. 31 2006,14:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well since his log is very well maintained including calories ingested and expended I don't see your point.

The guy who did it inversely was Spurlock and as evidenced here the effect of exercise is very powerful and that is the point.

Now is Micky D's the most nutritous, no probably not as I would assume it lacks in some nutrients and fibers. But again that's not the point the point is...........

the results seen in the Spurlock &quot;Supersize me&quot; documentary was not solely based on him eating McD's, it was also largely based on the fact that he sat on his a$$ all day while doing it and if one were to move about regularly the effects aren't nearly as drastic.  This would include lipoproteins, liver, and all the other effects seen from sitting on your duff and eating 2X the needed caloric levels, and would still occur no matter the food choice.</div>
I completely agree with you there, Dan, but my main point is that the guy we assume was on a BB diet and shifted to a FF diet yet improved himself, regardless of the fact that he was exersizing all the while. I just find it hard to believe that I can keep exersizing but dump my basic diet and eat only FF and get healthier.

(my diet isn't perfect, but it isn't a lot of processed food either)

I eat nearly like Tot in a way, and yes, I'm healthier than my peers, bigger and stronger. If I were to eat solely FF, I would not try everything on the menu, either.
And I DO think it was a great experiment and a bonus for healthy education.

Very interesting.

I don't think he's saying that he's 'healthier' (in the fullest sense of the word) at the end of it. Like he said, after a few days he noticed more water retention due to the extra sodium. There would no doubt be signs of other excesses or deficiencies if he stayed on the diet for a much longer period, but that's missing the point.

Surely, he's just trying to show that if you eat a shed-load of McDs for a month then you don't have to get fat or kill your liver or end up close to death like Spurlock! And exercise is what made the difference. He's not advocating that anyone else should do this, just that it can be done without resulting in serious consequences to your overall health.

All in all, I thought it was a very interesting experiment and hope he gets plenty of folks to see the documentary.

One thing that I was surprised about was that he could find a gym that was open at 5:00am! Where I live you'd be lucky to find one open much before 8:00am.

After reading all that I really fancy a McDs
biggrin.gif

I don't think Fast Food is &quot;going to kill you&quot; per se, its just lower quality food. In nutrition there are two factors called &quot;calorie density&quot; and &quot;nutrient density&quot; which defines &quot;quality&quot;.

Calorie Density is how many calories per gram of food there is, so obviously high fat, high sugar foods like maccas has higher calorie density than &quot;wholefoods&quot;, like breads, vegetables, lean meat not cooked in fat, etc.

So he could definitely eat more food for the same calorie count if he ate healthy stuff, did he say anything about feeling more hungry during the diet? Also I see he took the cheese off the burgers, which is very high in fat.

Nutrient Density is how high in nutrients it is, like fibre, vitamins and minerals. Not sure if they add in extras but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get enough fibre, or vitamins and minerals, solely from a maccas diet.

Nothing wrong with eating fast food occasionally though, especially when you have a healthy, active lifestyle and exercise.

Thanks Peak, I couldn't have said it better! Sometimes I'm known to slide a greasy grinder down the gullet myself.
wow.gif

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Nov. 01 2006,02:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not sure if they add in extras but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get enough fibre, or vitamins and minerals, solely from a maccas diet.

Nothing wrong with eating fast food occasionally though, especially when you have a healthy, active lifestyle and exercise.</div>
I don't know about that. On the surface, I wouldn't think so. However, his mcd's diet might provide him with just as many nutrients as a &quot;healthy&quot; diet. I wish these guys would get it together and get as many tests done as possible when they do this stuff. Heck, maybe I'll have to do it myself, lol.

I may eat strawberries and melon this week. I may eat apples and bananas next week. I remember George Carlin said something about mexican food being &quot;7 ingredients combined in 50 different ways.&quot; By this aspect I'd say the nutrients to any fast food diet from one source would be lacking.

If someone has the time (I dont') it could all be checked out here:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html -

Then you'd put in your own diet and compare to your single source (aka McDonalds)

I don't see how the nutrients are going to matter that much when we all take multivitamins and other supplements anyway. Have you read the back of the multivitamin bottle? If you are taking a multi, you are getting plenty of nutrients. Also, a McDonald's diet would end up having a decent amount of fiber anyway. Check out their site and read how much fiber would be in a typical meal of a big mac (or three) and fries.

Personally, I don't think &quot;calorie-dense&quot; is a bad thing. I like food that is very dense in calories because then I don't have to eat as much to hit my calorie goals. Maybe that's a bad thing for other people who gain fat easily, but for me it's great.

But yeah, the take home point is that exercise is the biggest determinant in your health, rather than diet. I believe that what foods you eat won't matter as much with regards to health unless you have genetic tendencies toward certain things, like high blood pressure, etc, in those cases then you'd likely have to keep a close watch on your diet AND be sure to exercise regularly in order to manage your problem.

I kind of agree with Totentanz here, IF you took multi-vitamins, drank plenty of water and some fiber-supplements (I get constipated from too much fried foods). Then eating mostly fast food would be fine. (except maybe the excess sodium and cholesterol.) I agree that a calorie is a calorie, BUT we also need vitamins, minerals, water, fiber, etc. As long as those are being met eat whatever you want!!! I think the point that Quadancer is making is that eating a so-called 'healthy balanced diet' gets you plenty of fiber, minerals and vitamins without having to take supplements.

I'm not concerned about nutrients for myself.  I take a multi-vitamin &amp; extra vit. c every day (but that's it).  I would just find it pretty interesting if all aspects of a FF diet were shown to be just as healthy as a BB diet.  

I could never permanently live on a FF diet, because the foods are too dense, and I'd wind up sucking way too many calories down, but I'm toying with the idea of doing something like this maybe 6 months from now, when I can just take one month to try and do a maintenance diet without taking any vitamins.

These guys who do this stuff just aren't thorough enough for me, so I'd get more tests done to see if it was truly just as healthy.  I actually find it comforting to think that all I have to worry about is calories &amp; protein, not just for muscle,but for health also.  Perhaps one month isn't sufficient time to see results if I was really lacking anything in the diet.  Just a thought.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If someone has the time (I dont') it could all be checked out here:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html -

Then you'd put in your own diet and compare to your single source (aka McDonalds)</div>

You could do that, but if my diet contains more vitamin C than a mcdonald's diet, so what ?  Do I really need that extra vitamin C ?  I'd be more interested in the test results at the end of the FF diet period.  Is there a test a doctor can give you to check for deficiencies of every vitamin ?  I hope there is ! but...probably not

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 01 2006,11:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I think the point that Quadancer is making is that eating a so-called 'healthy balanced diet' gets you plenty of fiber, minerals and vitamins without having to take supplements.</div>
Which you can still get by eating fast food, especially since most now offer &quot;healthier&quot; alternatives.

The question is can I live on Doritos and Ho Ho's, that's what I want to know.............
biggrin.gif

3 days OFF gym out of 30,.. not bad.

i just did averages for his daily caloric intake &amp; gym time and they are:

daily caloric intake = 4437 calories aprox,
daily exercise time = 65 minutes aprox.

based on his characteristics (age, weight, height, daily gym time/lifestyle) (www.nutritiondata.com)

Estimated Energy Requirement: 3340 kcal.

so he was 1000kcal above maintainance. hmm... that's alot. almost 30% in surplus.

what do you think?

Back