Medial Delts???

[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ July 30 2005,4:34)]What is the reason for reducing the ROM?  Is there a safety issue, or does the upper portion involve the medial delt more?  
What I noticed, through intense scientific scrutiny and analysis :), not, actually I just look in the mirror ;), that once I get past my ears a lot of the strain is beginning to get picked up by the traps. Could be just me maybe I'm doing them wrong.

I seem to recall Bryan saying that he did them the same way, but can't remember if that was his reason or not.

when you do upright rowa to hit the medial delts what grip you use?wider that shoulder width?and you raise it only to the height of the belly button?do you see growth in the side delts using this small rom?does any microtrauma occurs with this small range?
so it is better to use the above that the lateral raise?

I use a grip that is about shoulder width, maybe a bit wider, and I raise the bar to the bottom of my chest.  I've had good success with this, although I still do lateral raises (1 arm at a time, holding a post or something with my other hand).

I think if you are only raising the bar to your belly button, it had better be pretty dam* heavy.   ;)

Would that db upright row be the same thing as bb upright row with a wide grip ?

I have been doing cubans/muscle press with light weights for rotator physical therapy. This exercise seems to have the same effect as the db row at the bottom and a press from top of the head at the top. Works the shoulder through the entire range. Seems like a nice compund exercise for the shoulders

Has anyone done this exercise with a heavy weight ? How do you deal with the middle part (sternum to top of head) with a heavy weight ? Is it reasonable to swing it up like an Olympic clean and jerk ?

I can't speak to the second question, but I have been doing uprights with a wide grip on an ez curl bar. No injuries in the two years since I started with this exercise, and it has definitely made a difference in my medial delts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ Aug. 04 2005,4:09)]I can't speak to the second question, but I have been doing uprights with a wide grip on an ez curl bar.  No injuries in the two years since I started with this exercise, and it has definitely made a difference in my medial delts.
hey what can i say. When im good, IM GOOD! lol
ps: not trying to take away anyone's credit, im just speaking on the fact that i think i started a very good and educational topic. holla!

Working muscles in highly contracted ROM *is* useful for generating metabolic stress, boosting erk1/2 signaling, and potentially causing a better "anabolic" nutrient partitioning effect for that muscle. But, it's secondarily important.
Lots of big words. I'm convinced! :)Actually, I am. I've always been scared of upright rows, but I'm going to try the "to the navel" version.

That would be considered a High Pull, pulling the barbell to somewhere in between the upper abs and belly button. If you can lift it higher the weight is too light. It does work the side delts well when performed properly.

Tried it during this morning's workout, worked great. Doing the traditional upright row always caused shoulder discomfort, but using this new approach was quite comfortable and I was able to go fairly heavy.

Wow, I'm glad you dug this old thread up - lots of good info. I may need to give this "navel" ROM a try.

It's been working well for me. I've been using it for a couple weeks with varied weights and reps, with no shoulder discomfort at all. I've pretty much replaced lat raises and military presses with this form of upright row.

Do you have a history of shoulder problems? My shoulders started acting up a bit last December when I was using narrow grip upright rows to work out my traps and shoulders - bad idea. So I've been working through some discomfort early on in workouts that usually subsides after a couple of sets. I think this exercise may be a good alternative. How much weight are you doing, and what is it relative to the weight you did on military presses?

Back