Mike's Log - The Road to Recovery

If you religiously stick with the external rotations, and avoid the painful lifts, I predict in a few months, your shoulder to feel a lot better and your strength to skyrocket. A lot of guys report a huge bench increase after doing external rotator work.
Good luck.

P.s. rippetoe sucks in this area, as I said above. Eric Cressey's stuff is spot on in Kinesiology and re-hab/pre-hab though.

11-16-2012
High Bar Squat (oly shoes, belt on work sets)
Warmup
237.5 x 1
217.5 x 7 (hard)
Form practice with submaximal weight to get this feeling right (since I kind of lost my groove in high bar)

Pause Bench
Warmup
217.5 x 1
197.5 x 7 (not so hard, 8th probably possible but I had some slight doubt about it, hence didn't try it)

Chins
Warmup
Me + 82.5 x 8 (almost definitely had 9, possibly a 10th)

BW Rows
Me x 15

DB External Rotations
10 x 12/side
15 x 5/side (okay, this was definitely too heavy, but I was curious)
10 x 8/side (noticeable strength loss from previous two sets, which is fine)

Notes:

So, after deciding I was probably going to just do dips, I re-changed my mind. A close-ish grip bench has always transferred extremely well to everything, and I'm not just ready to give it up yet. The plus side here is that I seem to be able to bench at this point mostly discomfort-free after dropping low bar squats and overhead presses.

I also realized something else - the over-warm singles are going to quickly be counter-productive. They're getting dropped in favor of warming up via triples to a single, top set. Call this a rapidly ramping form of HIT, as it were. Squats I will have to consider, at the start of this cycle I considered doing a volume/taper thing (i.e. 3 sets of 5 submaximally transitioning to a single set of 5 after a couple of weeks once things started to get grindy, a cycle I used to run a lot a few years back) for that lift.

The external rotations continue to be interesting to me. The impaired strength in my left shoulder is actually probably the last ~30 degrees of ROM or something. Which is interesting, I guess. The first half of the movement doesn't feel hard, but the latter half quickly gets difficult and I feel myself wanting to compensate by torso twisting and such. I am, of course, avoiding this, but it has me wondering what muscles, in particular, are FUBAR'd. I simply match reps on my right shoulder, which is very obviously capable of a good deal more strength-wise.

Last edited:
Low Bar Squat (straps, Sambas, belt)
Warmup
225 x 5,5,5 (RPE probably ~8-9, tops)

Pause Bench
135,155,185 x 3
200 x 7 (RPE ~9)

Chins
Me,Me+45,Me+70 x 3
Me + 85 x 8 (RPE ~9-10)

Hook Grip Deadlifts (conventional, Sambas, belt)
Warmup
320 x 5 (RPE ~9-10)

DB External Rotations - Seated, Arm in front at chest height on bench
10 x 17/side (Interestingly, stronger without that extra few degrees of ROM and/or my arm more adducted. Weird)

Notes:

I realized something kind of interesting playing around with squats - I'm actually able to do a low bar squat with straps. Previous experiments of this way back when felt odd, I think, because the bar position with straps is identical to the bar position with a "full" grip (as opposed to Rip's thumbless grip), which is slightly higher on the back. Since I was used to that anyways with recent experiments in holding the bar with a full grip, this actually seems like a potentially viable thing. I felt just the SLIGHTEST bit of shoulder discomfort, but possibly within the tolerable range. I must admit, I'm tempted to keep on doing low bar squats if I can, I find I can grind out higher weight/more reps without that huge lever arm that's inherent to the high bar squat with heavy weights. I'll see how my shoulder feels over the next couple of days, though.

Everything else went well enough. I rediscovered that I do better benching at home with my slightly thicker, cheaper bar. I'll definitely be sticking with that - 200 x 7 probably felt easier than either 197.5 or 195, so things are looking up in the bench department. I also rediscovered that I'm actually WEAKER warming up in chins. Yes, weaker by doing warmup sets. As crazy as it sounds, a lot of my best sets in chins to date came from doing a few reps with bodyweight, then immediately adding 100+ lbs or whatever. Don't ask me why that works for me, but it always has.

Deadlifts were fine, albeit heavy. I was pretty stoked that there was basically zero sciatic/hip discomfort, so even approaching a top end set of 5, my hip/hamstring is behaving.

All in all, if my stupid shoulder would just completely heal, I'd be pretty much discomfort-free.

Video

http://youtu.be/l-Segf4alAI

Last edited:
Decided to go upper/lower, same logic. The frequency of assault on my shoulder led me to think this was probably a good idea.

Upper Body

Pause Bench
135,155,185 x 3
202.5 x 1
222.5 x 1
202.5 x 7 (RPE ~9-10)

Chins
Me x 3
Me + 90 x 1
Me + 115 x 1
Me + 90 x 7 (RPE ~9)

Seated DB Press
80 (40 + 40) x 15 (RPE ~10)

Cable Rows
130 x 13 (accidentally did these last)

EZ Bar Curls
85 x 12 (RPE ~10)

Cable Pushdowns
60 x 14 (RPE ~9)

DB External Rotations (Poliquin style)
10 x 16/side (wow - jumped 4 reps here)

Notes:

My shoulder was bugging me over the weekend, and one of my "tweaks" to get this right was to go upper/lower. This should do a couple of things, 1) allow me to differentiate the upper from lower body exercises which might be irritating ****, when I do full body this is tough to figure out. And 2) Less frequency of shoulder assaults, in a sense - from pushing/squatting thrice weekly to twice weekly.

That said, this session was fine. I was reminded of the fact that doing squats before upper body stuff is actually a warmup in and of itself for the nervous system. Subjectively, the bench press felt harder even though I managed to get the reps I wanted (7) with today's weight. Kind of interesting, and I think I actually benefited slightly from the over-warm single beforehand, so will probably keep these in. Seated DB shoulder press felt more or less fine on my shoulder (more externally rotated position, shoulders less back/flexed due to seated position), and I think it's possible that doing some reps with these might actually help things. I screwed up and accidentally did the cable rows after everything else, but will fix that next time.

The plan is to do the "core" movements (bench, chin, seated press, rows) twice weekly, and the arm exercises will be different between the first and second session (so each arm exercise only gets hit once weekly). This seems reasonable. Tomorrow (Thanksgiving) is lower body day. I find this appropriate.

Thanksgiving edition...

Lower Body

Squat
Warmup
220 x 5,5 (high bar)
Re-warmup
230 x 5 (low bar)

Back Extensions
Me + 50 x 15

Leg Extensions
100 x 15

Leg Curls
80 x 12

1-Leg Calf Raises (donkey)
Me + 10 x 20/side

Notes:

Nothing too exciting here. I initially tried high bar squats, but my groove in this feels pretty off. I re-warmed up and did a set of 230 x 5 in low bar. Kind of hard in that my legs were dead, but the groove felt a lot more natural.

Unfortunately I think this log is now on indefinite hiatus. I had hoped that my shoulder issue wasn't anything too serious, but I was seemingly incorrect. Full thickness partial tear (25%) infraspinatus, full thickness partial tear (75%) supraspinatus, both on the left side. The infraspinatus tear is only moderate sized (i.e. not too terrible), but the supraspinatus tear is pretty big, which sucks. I have no intention on going the surgical route, so I will have to come up with some serious changes to my training, which probably means scrapping some of what I'm doing. I'll report back when things are on the right track.

Mikey, that really blows! A 75% supraspinatus tear doesn't sound clever at all. Did you get any advice from the consultant on time to heal?

Any reason why surgery isn't on your list of treatments? Is an all-arthroscopic repair op available over there? It seems like a good way to sort this. Minimal scar tissue and you are still young so you'll heal pretty fast. Maybe it's something to do with medical insurance? :-/

I really hope you can get a good prognosis for this and that you can get all fixed up ASAP.

All the best from me.

Damn, yeah at least you found it now and not later. If you had kept trying other things, who knows...

Just reading this today. Very sorry to hear about your injury Mike. I hope you have a quick and full recovery!! A good physical therapist will be able to properly guide you through recovery with or without surgery.

Huge thanks for posting the youtube video regarding the squat technique using straps to hold the bar. I'm going to try this since grabbing the bar when doing squats is the only thing that consistently causes my shoulder discomfort, mainly due to my rotator inflexibility... Again, i hope you have a full/speedy recovery!

Appreciated, guys. Surgery really isn't an option for me at the moment as I'm a poor graduate student at the moment. I am hoping to have a decent paying job about this time next year (I'll graduate with my MS in Clinical Exercise Phys in August), and I suppose it might be then.

To be honest, I'm still not very limited, besides some pain associated with certain movements. Even if surgery would be an option, I was actually advised NOT to get surgery by the guy who did the eval (sister's husband, sports medicine doc). In his opinion (and mine), surgery should always be a last resort. That said, I've been looking up info on shoulder surgeries, and if I do wind up needing one, I am confident that I could probably be in pretty good shape within a few months. As far as I know, there's no biceps or labrum involvement, AC joint was fine, so it would basically be reattachment for supraspinatus/infraspinatus. Which obviously isn't nothing, but seems a little more on the not completely terrible side. I.e. if they don't have to shave down a bunch of bone etc. recovery time should be faster.

I am actually open to suggestions on what to do. Weirdly, activity seems somewhat therapeutic. E.g. the shoulder feels better after doing stuff like external rotations, facepulls, and even really light lateral raises. Stretching does NOT feel good (e.g. sleeper stretch), I guess for the obvious reason that stretching already weakened tendons might be something less than totally wise.

One thought I had was to take the next ~couple weeks off and start an HST type cycle with only a single "push," something like a dumbbell bench for high reps (maybe going from 20's to 10's instead of 10's to 5's). Then the only upper pull being horizontal rowing, like a cable row. No vertical anything (push or pull), and rehab exercises done daily.

Along those lines, with my dad's help, I've already built a contraption to keep me squatting:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/192572_139862902829122_415417960_o.jpg

Basically a homemade safety squat bar/top squat. Tried it out today with some real (for me in my presently slightly deconditioned state) weight, held up beautifully.

But yah, since surgery will not be an option for at least a year or so, I am going to have to think of clever alternatives for the time being. As I said, pain is really not a big deal at this point, but I obviously don't want to make **** worse. This means some combination of avoiding offending movements and working only what is pain-free/beneficial.

Edit: Video of me using the PVC squat setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBfiUcZjNk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
One of the directions I've considered going to "age gracefully" while still lifting heavy is actually Hepburn's routines that he developed as he got older, allegedly setting strength PR's drug-free into his 50's:

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_on..._for_strength_and_power_1?id=2268213&pageNo=0

Pay close attention to twiceborn's posts, in particular, as he got his info directly from Hepburn. Pretty cool stuff, basically a slow-cooking, autoregulated way to do heavy but submaximal work that gradually builds on itself over time. This is the other direction I'm considering going, either now or later (i.e. after I've sorted out my shoulder stuff one way or another). Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
What did the doctor say is the best thing to do to heal your muscles, (going the nonsurgical route with a torn muscle)? I would think lots of rest, and maybe some really light-weight, high-rep training to rehabilitate the muscle and get the blood flowing. Is weight-training even a good idea at this point? I mean shouldn't let it heal for a few weeks at least?
I tore a muscle in my lower back once, and that took a few months to fully heal. Lots of rest, and rehabilitation, stretching my hamstrings to reduce the stretch on lower back, etc.

Last edited:
What did the doctor say is the best thing to do to heal your muscles, (going the nonsurgical route with a torn muscle)? I would think lots of rest, and maybe some really light-weight, high-rep training to rehabilitate the muscle and get the blood flowing.

The doctor I saw is actually my sister's husband, a sports medicine doc. He actually recommended against surgery, said that his opinion is that shoulders are never the same afterwards, though I suspect part of that is more how laypeople respond, versus people doing full range of motion resistance exercises. Stated differently, I suspect that, even if I do wind up getting surgery, my shoulder would wind up in a better state vs. somebody who just does the PT stuff and never does for real weight training.

He suggested PRP (plasma-rich platelet) injections as a potentially conservative treatment, but otherwise the obvious. Avoid what hurts, give it some rest, try some rehab etc. I'm planning on starting a new exercise routine a week from Wednesday, giving me 2 weeks off since doing any irritating exercises (the shoulder is already feeling pretty good, honestly, even after only a few days off). At that point, I'll start something very conservative. Part of my thinking was to take a break from programming involving fives. 10's might be a better place to be, for now. And quite honestly, what do 5's provide that 10's don't? Probably more boost to 1 RM, but arguably less overall growth. So a simple plan might look something like this:

Upper 1
Cable Row - 10,10,10+
DB Incline Bench - 20,20,20+
Curls - 10,10,10+
Shoulder Prehab - DB External Rotation (Seated, Front) - 20+
Facepulls - 20+

Lower 1
Squat - 10,10,10+
Back Extensions - 10,10,10+
Calf Raises - 10,10,10+

off

Upper 2
Gymnastic Ring Row - 10,10,10+
Pushups - 20,20,20+
Seated DB Curls - 10,10,10+
Shoulder Prehab - DB External Rotation (Poliquin) - 20+
DB Lateral Raise - 20+

Lower 2
Deadlifts - 10+
Pause Squat - 10,10,10+
Calf Raises - 10,10,10+

off
off

Work sets listed, e.g. 10,10,10+ = 3 sets of 10, with the last set taken to something like an RPE ~9. I will probably start with ~15-20 RM's there, and it would go something like 10,10,15 at first. 20,20,20+ is the same logic, but super duper light. I figure dumbbell incline bench press and pushups might be two of the most conservative possible pushing exercises, so I was planning on starting there for very high reps. No vertical anything, as this seems to be the biggest irritant, upper body wise. That and my vertical pulling strength is profoundly ahead of my horizontal pulling strength (e.g. I could probably very quickly train up to a Me + 115 lb chin for 5 reps, whereas my 5 RM in something like a barbell row is probably ~185).

I recall Bryan showing some research that higher reps might have some benefit for connective tissue, which would be ideal in my case. After exhausting the 20's over a couple months or whatever, I will probably bump it down into the 10's range, and start to introduce other conservative exercises, like pulldowns and dumbbell overhead presses for high reps. Maybe.

Last edited:
My torn lower back was the main reason I quit lifting back in 2009. Good to see you are not quitting. Just take it easy for awhile, after you heal, and strengthen all the right muscles in your shoulder, you will be stronger than ever! Patience, and persistence. Godspeed.

My torn lower back was the main reason I quit lifting back in 2009. Good to see you are not quitting. Just take it easy for awhile, after you heal, and strengthen all the right muscles in your shoulder, you will be stronger than ever! Patience, and persistence. Godspeed.

Definitely tough to be patient :)

It's been a week since I did any upper body stuff. I experimented slightly today with what exactly hurts, in terms of basing stuff for future cycles (a week from today, i.e. ~2 weeks break). When I say experiment, I mean silly light. A few pushups, empty bar bench, an unweighted chin or two, that kind of thing. Chins are definitely still problematic, so sadly, they're out. This makes me sad, but then again, my strength in this movement always seems remarkably well-preserved with layoffs, and given how far ahead it is of other upper body lifts, that's not so bad.

Bench is probably swingable. Dips might actually be more comfortable than the bench. Overhead pressing is definitely out. And I discovered, finally, that my PVC squat is, in fact, more comfortable than the straps squat to which I linked a video a page or two back for Lol.

So, stuff I know I can do more or less pain-free:

Lower body stuff (obviously, including PVC squats and deadlifts)
Dips (probably)
Cable Rows (definitely)
Curls (definitely)

That may be enough for a cycle, in and of itself.

Along those lines, with my dad's help, I've already built a contraption to keep me squatting:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/192572_139862902829122_415417960_o.jpg

Basically a homemade safety squat bar/top squat. Tried it out today with some real (for me in my presently slightly deconditioned state) weight, held up beautifully.

Good idea. What was your reason for making the PVC handles so long? I thought they might hit the floor when you dropped into the hole!

Good idea. What was your reason for making the PVC handles so long? I thought they might hit the floor when you dropped into the hole!

They should probably be shorter, though the original plans actually called for longer than that. As long as they don't hit the floor they're fine, I suppose :)

Those are some cracking lifts at your present bw. That dead is close to 2.5 x bw, which is better than I have ever managed. So, yes, very inappropriate deloading! :) I'm amazed those tears in your rotator cuff don't get a bit 'tweaky' at almost max intensity.

Back