multiple sets important?

<div>
(mikeynov @ Nov. 26 2006,20:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Doing 20 individual reps and racking it after every rep + waiting ~5-30 seconds between reps doesn't look much like single set training to me
tounge.gif
</div>
My thoughts exactly.

I'm doing a linear 5x5, so with squats and my main pressing movement I have one top set at my 5RM a week, plus another set of 3 per week at what I hope will be next week's 5RM. Most of my sets are a lot lighter. If someone is doing 20 reps Max-Stim style with their 6RM 3x/week they're doing as much volume with greater average load, and maybe on all exercises. I do less work on assistance exercises.

There are 5x5 routines utilizing straight sets at the top weight on at least some days, but this will be with a weight less than the 5RM. With these, the idea is to have a workload that can only be maintained a few weeks, then cut volume. To me, Max-Stim at heavier loads seems similar in effect. I'm sure that's why Dan incorporates lower weight ranges and some zig-zag in his reference program.

Those people in Sci's study were doing 8-12 reps, not 20 with their 8 or 6 RM.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 26 2006,22:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I said that in my post...if one were doing only 4-5 exercises then it would be better to do multiple sets, if however one is doing 12 or more exercises for the body then more than one set should not be needed.
</div>

I'd think it still depends.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Plus with high-frequency such as every 48 hours, the number of sets per week is not very low. Bryan himself points this out in the intro.. to HST.</div>

Yes, he does. And there is a certain logic to that.

But there's also a very strong logic to the idea that you need enough volume in the &quot;right now&quot; to stimulate an adaptation at all.

Example: if you need, say, X load by Y total reps to induce an adaptation, doing X load for Y reps once a week will be more valuable than doing (x load by Y reps) / 3, three times a week.

Because it'd be better to stimulate growth infrequently than to NEVER stimulate growth.

Volume has to matter, and there is nothing special about a &quot;set.&quot; It just represents loading at a certain volume within a certain timeframe.

If volume were irrelevent, we could do a single rep three times a week and grow in a handful of exercises. But that doesn't work - why?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't agree with your stance on high-volume being necessary Mike...I am not sure which 'legions' you are talking about either. But to be fair, I don't think there is anything wrong with higher volume multiple sets as long as the trainee can handle the extra stress....even doing max-stim I will sometimes drop to only 10 total reps per exercise, if I am doing multiple exercise for the muscle group. I may just be one of the few who can't handle too much volume.</div>

I actually don't think high volume is necessary. I'd drift towards &quot;medium volume&quot; being necessary at some point, which, afaik, is also the conclusion that organizations like the ACSM hold to.

There are other avenues exploiting, for example, density and other weirdness (DC training) that is a clear example in my mind that 'lots of sets' isn't really necessary per se. But even in that, the 'total reps' isn't quite like a conventional single set approach.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you are only doing 4-5 different exercises and training only twice/week or less, then multiple sets will most likely be superior. Other studies have shown a benefit to mutiple sets, but these were usually based on only doing a very few basic exercises.</div>

Preciselly why I am doing 30 reps, or dying trying
laugh.gif
because my w/o basically consists of 5 exercises, twice p/week - note squats and deads are alternated:

Deadlifts / Squats
15° B/B benchpress
Chins (underhand close grip)
Seated Cable Rows (Low pulley)
Military press

Just my 2 cents
biggrin.gif

<div>
(mikeynov @ Nov. 27 2006,05:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I said that in my post...if one were doing only 4-5 exercises then it would be better to do multiple sets, if however one is doing 12 or more exercises for the body then more than one set should not be needed.
</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Plus with high-frequency such as every 48 hours, the number of sets per week is not very low.  Bryan himself points this out in the intro.. to HST.</div>

Yes, he does.  And there is a certain logic to that.

But there's also a very strong logic to the idea that you need enough volume in the &quot;right now&quot; to stimulate an adaptation at all.

Example: if you need, say, X load by Y total reps to induce an adaptation, doing X load for Y reps once a week will be more valuable than doing (x load by Y reps) / 3, three times a week.

Because it'd be better to stimulate growth infrequently than to NEVER stimulate growth.

Volume has to matter, and there is nothing special about a &quot;set.&quot;  It just represents loading at a certain volume within a certain timeframe.

If volume were irrelevent, we could do a single rep three times a week and grow in a handful of exercises.  But that doesn't work - why?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't agree with your stance on high-volume being necessary Mike...I am not sure which 'legions' you are talking about either.  But to be fair, I don't think there is anything wrong with higher volume multiple sets as long as the trainee can handle the extra stress....even doing max-stim I will sometimes drop to only 10 total reps per exercise, if I am doing multiple exercise for the muscle group.  I may just be one of the few who can't handle too much volume.</div>

I actually don't think high volume is necessary.  I'd drift towards &quot;medium volume&quot; being necessary at some point, which, afaik, is also the conclusion that organizations like the ACSM hold to.

There are other avenues exploiting, for example, density and other weirdness (DC training) that is a clear example in my mind that 'lots of sets' isn't really necessary per se.  But even in that, the 'total reps' isn't quite like a conventional single set approach.</div>
Michael,

I would love to see what you recommend or have expierenced as a trainer for volume on fullbody routines.

For example.

3 day a week full body or
4 day a week upper lower split.

I know there is no one size fits all.

But I agree with you on that volume hats to be enough for &quot;now&quot; training.

What in your opinion does that look like?

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Nov. 27 2006,09:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(mikeynov @ Nov. 27 2006,05:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 26 2006,22:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I said that in my post...if one were doing only 4-5 exercises then it would be better to do multiple sets, if however one is doing 12 or more exercises for the body then more than one set should not be needed.
</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Plus with high-frequency such as every 48 hours, the number of sets per week is not very low. Bryan himself points this out in the intro.. to HST.</div>

Yes, he does. And there is a certain logic to that.

Volume has to matter, and there is nothing special about a &quot;set.&quot; It just represents loading at a certain volume within a certain timeframe.

If volume were irrelevent, we could do a single rep three times a week and grow in a handful of exercises. But that doesn't work - why?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't agree with your stance on high-volume being necessary Mike...I am not sure which 'legions' you are talking about either. But to be fair, I don't think there is anything wrong with higher volume multiple sets as long as the trainee can handle the extra stress....even doing max-stim I will sometimes drop to only 10 total reps per exercise, if I am doing multiple exercise for the muscle group. I may just be one of the few who can't handle too much volume.</div>

I actually don't think high volume is necessary. I'd drift towards &quot;medium volume&quot; being necessary at some point, which, afaik, is also the conclusion that organizations like the ACSM hold to.

There are other avenues exploiting, for example, density and other weirdness (DC training) that is a clear example in my mind that 'lots of sets' isn't really necessary per se. But even in that, the 'total reps' isn't quite like a conventional single set approach.</div>
Michael,

I would love to see what you recommend or have expierenced as a trainer for volume on fullbody routines.

For example.

3 day a week full body or
4 day a week upper lower split.

I know there is no one size fits all.

But I agree with you on that volume hats to be enough for &quot;now&quot; training.

What in your opinion does that look like?</div>
Haha that's the million dollar question, I wish I knew.

I guess I could put this in terms of training age, and how I'd probably train somebody throughout their training career:

For noobs, I'd have them train on something looking like HIT minus the emphasis on failure/intensity. Low volume and frequent, the default HST template would also work fine here.

After they start tapping out their potential in this straightforward approach (which could take a lot of time, even a couple or more years), I'd probably add another layer of complexity to stuff and/or manipulate volume.

An example of what I'd do for intermediates might be the &quot;dual factor HST&quot; thing I presented here, or an upper/lower split with higher volume per exercise or more total exercises. To help performance feed growth, I'd probably do some basic accumulation-->intensification stuff, the logic of which is well described in the madcow 5 x 5 threads that have gone around here. Frequency in the &quot;big lifts&quot; in this case might drop from thrice a week to twice a week for most people.

That in itself would probably get people most of where they'd want to go, either a straightforward approach or some simple periodization and periods of higher volume loading.

Past that, or if people wanted to specialize, I might even recommend they do something like DC training or start to do something that'd look more like a poliquin style bodypart split. Retain &quot;decent&quot; frequency (~1.5 times per muscle group per week), but use various novelties/techniques to keep gains moving forward.

These trends also mirror what Glenn Pendlay suggests to some degree, and no surprise I'm partially ripping him off.

But I think the idea here is that:

* Performance/strength IS linked to growth over time
* The stimulus necessary to yield an adaptation needs to be greater in magnitude over time in the acute sense, i.e. an individual bout of training. As such, frequency in particular might have to take a back seat to intensity (in terms of how heavy - %1 RM) and volume.

This would be so because, over time, you get a higher dose/response from both heavier weights and a higher volume of those heavier weights than you do at comparatively younger training ages. Research substantiating this centers primarily on strength/performance, but insofar as strength/performance and growth are tied together for naturals, I feel this pattern still applies to people looking to fulfill their &quot;genetic potential&quot; in terms of muscle.

So there is no &quot;one routine&quot; to fit everybody, the demands of a trainee are going to vary based on both their individual needs (including psychological, because the willingness to put in the time/effort is as important as any other factor) as well as their training age through time (progressing from noob to intermediate to advanced).

I am doing an experiment doing elevated volume with max-stim (~40reps per exercise). There was a good thread at the max-stim forum which basically opened my eyee to the fact that TUT (time under tension) is extremely important to stimulating muscular hypertrophy. One set may be enough TUT to stimulate growth for some people, but not for others, also multiple sets (or more TUT) may stimulate more hypertrophy than one set will. We looked at some more studies at hypertrophy-research.com and now I have changed my mind.

I agree with Mikeynov now, one set may work well for some people, or may work somewhat for everyone, but for the majority of people, multiple sets, or more TUT is going stimulate hypertophy better than one set.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Dec. 01 2006,12:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">one set may work well for some people, or may work somewhat for everyone, but for the majority of people, multiple sets, or more TUT is going stimulate hypertophy better than one set.</div>

No doubt about it. What I would like to see studied is what the rate of diminishing returns is on more than one set compared to using that time for increased frequency. In other words, over time, which would produce better hypertrophy:

6 sets once per week
3 sets 2 times per week
2 sets 3 times per week
1 set 6 times per week?

Of course, I would also like to know the finite number of digits in pi since it surely can't be infinite since infinity cannot exist anymore than the universe cannot be infinitely large but it must be because nothingness cannot exist, or can it?  
rock.gif
  S**t! Back to the black hole theory.

''Of course, I would also like to know the finite number of digits in pi since it surely can't be infinite since infinity cannot exist anymore than the universe cannot be infinitely large but it must be because nothingness cannot exist, or can it''

oh my iv gone cross eyed
biggrin.gif

Cut X in half. Then cut that in half. Keep going.

Go to the end of the universe. Keep going.

I feel better now. I'm holding the end of the rainbow!
smile.gif

Surely, everybody knows that there is always a limit to an infinite convergent sequence?
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Dec. 01 2006,20:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Dec. 01 2006,12:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">one set may work well for some people, or may work somewhat for everyone, but for the majority of people, multiple sets, or more TUT is going stimulate hypertophy better than one set.</div>

No doubt about it. What I would like to see studied is what the rate of diminishing returns is on more than one set compared to using that time for increased frequency. In other words, over time, which would produce better hypertrophy:

6 sets once per week
3 sets 2 times per week
2 sets 3 times per week
1 set 6 times per week?

Of course, I would also like to know the finite number of digits in pi since it surely can't be infinite since infinity cannot exist anymore than the universe cannot be infinitely large but it must be because nothingness cannot exist, or can it?  
rock.gif
  S**t! Back to the black hole theory.</div>
o&amp;g basicly in a way you could say it has been studied..
ie studies show that there is no difference in the rest time between sets as long as your ready to go then go.
so ..6 sets once per week or 1 set 6 times per week?
is just longer between sets
biggrin.gif

<div>
(mikeynov @ Nov. 27 2006,05:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But there's also a very strong logic to the idea that you need enough volume in the &quot;right now&quot; to stimulate an adaptation at all.

Example: if you need, say, X load by Y total reps to induce an adaptation, doing X load for Y reps once a week will be more valuable than doing (x load by Y reps) / 3, three times a week.</div>
This is were I am still fuzzy and were full body seems to confuse me.

I know full body is better than splits...NO Doubt...but I still think there has to be sufficient volume for the Right Now as michaels says.

However if you use sufficient volume for the right now per muscle group you will overtrain on a full body routine.

I sometimes feel 3 sets per muscle group is not enough...however I do agree 9 sets a week is plenty per muscle group.

The question is does the 3 sets get enough stimulus in for the (right now)???

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Dec. 02 2006,10:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The question is does the 3 sets get enough stimulus in for the (right now)???</div>
Dig me up when they determine the answer.
ghostface.gif

If you do not feel like you are doing enough, on your rest days you can try doing very light weight lifts or natural workouts. I do submaximal-nonweighted workouts on rest days. (pushups, natural squats, trunck curls, chins (if i am up for it), kicking excersizes, and stretches.

I notice i do not feel so fatigued if I do these kind of workouts on my off days and I do not get stiff.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The question is does the 3 sets get enough stimulus in for the (right now)??? </div>

The study brian references in the timing frequency is related to this:

4) McLester JR., Bishop P., &amp; Guilliams M. Comparison of 1 and 3 day per week of equal volume resistance training in experienced subjects. Med. Sci. Sports Exrc. 31(5 Supp) pp.S117 1999
http://apt.allenpress.com/aptonli....ge=0273

Studied one set 3x per week or three sets once per week. One set 3x per week produced superior results to three sets once per week, so i dont see why this would be any different for 6 sets once per week vs 2 sets 3x per week etc.

Im unsure about 1 set 6x per week vs 6 sets once per week. If your still growing after training for 36 hours &amp; protein synthesis peaks 24 hours after training as ive read, im unsure of the value of training again at this time. Seems like youd just be splitting up the volume a lot more and spend roughly the same time growing as u would doing 2 sets x 3 per week.

Wouldn't 6 sets of 10+ reps of a fullbody workout be an endurance routine?

If you get the same if not better results from 1 set of 15reps at a tempo around 2 secs positive and 4 secs negative, why would you go and do 6 sets for a hypertrophy routine.

I guess there are things you could do to make it work but the longer you workout, the longer you starve you muscles of aminos.

The guys I know that have routines like that and grow, are the juicers.

Do you think it's possible to conclude the following with respect to the discussions in this thread?

Volume, frequency &amp; load are interrelated.

Most people (at least here) seem to agree that working out at least 3 times per week is superior to once or twice.

So work out 3 times a week, make sure the load increases regularly, use as much volume as possible without compromising on load or frequency and keep work constant throughout.

Which is basically HST.

The easiest way to keep work progressing is to keep volume constant but if someone's doing 2 sets in the 15s then they might not want to do 6 sets in the 5s at the working weight, especially towards the heavier 5s.

However, they could, in this example, do 3 sets and then a further 3 sets at a lighter weight to ensure work increases.

As for sets/reps/number of exercises...I think it's pretty irrelevant.

For example all the following are equal in terms of volume:

2 sets of 10 of bench
4 sets of 5 of bench
20 max stim reps of bench
1 set of 10 of bench plus 1 sent of 10 of dips.

So just manipulate the volume whichever way you want (e.g. O&amp;G prefers multiple exercises to hit the muscles from different angles).

I'd fit all the above into sessions that last a max of 60 mins personally so if the amount of volume I wanted to do exceeded 180mins a week I'd have to do some sort of split.

Personally I'm enjoying Max Stim because I can use heavier weights...however it was reducing my volume because the 'set' was taking longer so I'm now still doing full body sessions but doing a push pull split between mst and conventional sets with lighter weights.

Cheers

Rob

Yeah. But for my first cycle, I am sticking with 1 set 15s, 2 set 10s, 3 set 5s. Then i will tweak it to my needs.

I was making gains off of HIT once every 4-6 days but it put way too much drain on my CNS.

Back