Music For Lifting

I

imported_elle11

Hi all,

This subject has been covered before, but couldn't find the old thread. I need some suggestions for great workout music. Right now I've got an Mp3 player and it is loaded with a strange mix of old school hip-hop, rap, Led Zep, T Rex, house dance music, but I am getting bored! I've even got Cold Play on there but that's too calm.

Anyone have any suggestions -- preferably stuff with a strong bass and motivating.

If you want hard...
Artist: System of a down
Album: Toxicity

Hate their political views but love the motivating growl =)
And it's almost like having your own personal drill sergeant!

Hiya, elle!

I love ZZTop's "She's Got Legs" and "Sharp Dressed Man". There's lots of Stevie Ray Vaughn tunes that "pump me up".
I listen to a lot of Nickelback... lots of hard driving bass there.
My son swears by Metallica.

One of the coolest things that happened recently was having Rick James' "She's a Brick ***House" play over the loudspeakers as I hit my new DL PR.

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

I would suggest anything by Tantric- they are awesome for w/os, especially Breakdown, Astounded, and Paranoid. They used to be part of Days of the New, so that gives you an idea of what they're like.
Jake

Chilli Peppers work for me, too.

Sometimes it helps to have something unlike what you normally listen to. For variety, try;

"Oh, Yeah." (Yello, Stella album.)
Theme from Terminator. (love the sounds of the presses)
Theme from Batman, the movie.

Thinking of trying some tracks from the LOTR movies; Uruk-Hai theme has a good beat to it. . .

Oooo..

#1: White Zombie/Rob Zombie's greatest hits

#2: Rage Against the Machine: Self-titled album

It's musical ephedrine!

Enjoy!
BB

I listen to Pink Floyd - Have a Cigar, over and over and over again :)

i like best working out alone and in in absolute silence,hitting the weights in my homegym set up in the basement.

no noises no music no talking just focussing on movement and feeling the muscles work, dripping sweat.

should have done that a lot sooner.

bye
andré mansveld.

What about Black Crowes, U2, Guns n' Roses, NIne Inch Nails, INXS? Do you like hip hop, acid jazzm rap?
There's somebody here who knows Da weasel?

I use music to keep the rhythm during cardio, because when I start lifting I'm too concentrate on what I do to pay attention to the music. I could even listen to classical music :)

In no particular order, anything by:

Metallica (old)
Iron Maiden (old and new)
Slipknot
Sevendust
Deftones

Bah, why always with the nu metal.

Dance techno, and nothing else. :D

I downloaded this new Paul Van Dyk live set (Energy 2003). It's the best I've ever heard, 75 minutes of pretty much nonstop throbbing goodness.

Or maybe that's just me.
dozingoff.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andré @ Dec. 16 2003,3:55)]i like best working out alone and in in absolute silence,hitting the weights in my homegym set up in the basement.
no noises no music no talking just focussing on movement and feeling the muscles work, dripping sweat.
should have done that a lot sooner.
bye
andré mansveld.
When I used to live overseas I had a gym that was like that - no music unless you brought your own. It was great, and I've actually considered wearing earplugs at the gym to obtain a similar environment =) I find my concentration is much higher in a quiet enviornment. Instead of drawing motivation from the screaming headphones, I learned to bring it out of myself independently.

Usually one of 2 options:

Trance, dance, techno, etc. (trance prefered)
(showing my age here but The White Room by KLF - 3a.m. Eternal is an oldie but always gets me in the mood to lift)

or

soundtrack music from some great heroic movie
(Farenheit 451 and Show Me Your Firetruck - from Backdraft -
are 2 great examples that come to mind)

Proteus

I like alot of the same bands that have already been mentioned above:
Metallica (old stuff...."One")
Rob Zombie
Rage Against the Machine, and now Audioslave!

Lately my band of choice has been T00L and their spinoff group, A Perfect Circle.

ANY Stevie Ray Vaughan, ANYTIME!

And believe it or not, I really like listening to Reggae when I'm doing my cardio! Bob Marley's "Legend" is a must have CD!

Yeah,

I kind of draw a musical distinction between lifting and aerobics with the emphasis placed on intensity/emotion and rhythm, respectively.

I could see listening to Calkid's girly-man music for aerobics. ;)

BTW, Calkid - I couldn't find that Energy 2003 on Amazon - but I did find his greatest hits "Global". I suspect my techno tastes would run a little closer to the Matrix soundtrack genre.

Thanks Wedge
dozingoff.gif

But rather than feeling very adrenalized and aroused, I'd prefer to be in a zen-like state of focus. I find trance helps me there. Also it doesn't hurt that I like the genre a lot more.

Also with respect to the Paul Van Dyk thing, it's not a for-sale album, it was a live recorded set. You can get it off www.tranceaddict.com (new tracks -> live sets)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ Dec. 16 2003,11:04)]Bah, why always with the nu metal.
Dance techno, and nothing else. :D
I downloaded this new Paul Van Dyk live set (Energy 2003). It's the best I've ever heard, 75 minutes of pretty much nonstop throbbing goodness.
Or maybe that's just me.
dozingoff.gif
None of those were 'nu-metal.' Nu-metal is trash like linkin park and the various crap that appears on MTV.

Hi all,
Thanks so much for all your ideas! I have downloaded a bunch of your suggestions and am listening as I have time -- some great stuff. I just can't personally take screaming lyrics even tho I still listen to Led Zeppelin (you young things who like metal ought to check them out if you've never heard of them ;) )

Calkid -- the Paul Van Dyk stuff was exactly what I was looking for, thanks! His stuff is great. I found some tracks online and will be adding them ASAP.
I have a lot of old house/dance/techno music on my player right now and some old hip hop stuff as well.

Ghostrider -- I do like hip hop and rap but it has to have a melody, not just angry lyrics. I'm not familiar with acid jazz.

andré and techo -- I wish I could lift in perfect silence as well, but alas. Music is definitely needed for cardio, but I wear earphones mainly to keep people at the gym from TALKING to me! I actually switched gyms because of this problem recently. Not there to socialize but lift. They still TALK even with the earphones on! (ok,rant over)

Kate -- congrats on your new deadlift PR!

Keep the ideas coming! I'm sure everyone needs some new music and could broaden their horizons.

Hey - I've got the solution for you; how about a mix of Kenny Rogers and some Polka ? That ought to get your blood rushing (away from your brain to prevent it from going rancid) and get enough hormones running to fuel 10 roid rages
worship.gif

LOL Lars! The Polka/Kenny Rogers combo would definitely make me angry enough to throw a dumbbell.

Back