My first 5 x 5

LOL

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you wanted to prolong the 5s, would you start a Madcow program instead of starting 5s for your HST cycle or would you do the 5s first and then do Madcow?</div>

I am at this cross-road right now, and somehow I think I won't be able to carry on for the whole 9 weeks, obviously as I just jumped from 5's right into this.

So far it feels good, just yesterday I squatted 124 Kg as per spec, but man...it takesz me into way past the 140 which I did not even do yet...I guess I'll keep going as far as I can...but I also don't want to end up hurting myself for the sake of PR's.

Sometimes I miss the chins and some of the other exercises, but so far it feels OK!

Hey Fausto,

Just want to make sure, did you set your current 5RM weights for use in the 4th week of the 5x5? This is important. We want to spend the first 4 weeks working up to our current 5RMs. You should not be going for new PRs until week 5, at the earliest.

Also, the 5x5 cycle does not have to be 9 weeks long. Once you are no longer setting PRs for two weeks, it's time to reset the weights down and start working up to your &quot;new&quot; 5RMs.

Nav

Thanks for the tip, I'm such a &quot;lab rat&quot; that I sometimes forget important details like that one in my eagerness in a new experiment!
laugh.gif

In the 5 x 5's I'm slightly overshooting into negative territory, and that is why it starting to take its toll!

I have done two weeks over and above my 5RM STD HST, so I think I am going to finish off tomorrow and go back into HST, I'll just carry on with the 5RM's, with exception of a few that I will carry on increasing as I see fit.

I really miss not doing chins and some other stuff as I followed madcow as is, only 3 exercises p/day.

thanks anyway mate!

You can add accessory work at the end of your workouts. For instance, on the Mon workout with 5x5, I do 2 sets of 8 of weighted chins. Friday I do 2 sets of 8 with dips. I don't do any accessory work on Weds though, since that day is pretty full anyway.

If you guys want, checkout my dual factor 5x5 journal found here: http://www.bodybuilding.net/persona....92.html

I've done a few cycles of AM's version..Only difference is more volume with mine vs. Madcow's pyramids. At the end of my first volume/intensity phase I was able to hit 405x2 for flat bench..

This time I did back to back volume phases and it worked out extremely well as per my journal. I included a lot of info in there as well so enjoy.

Man...my joints are getting too sore!

I am going back to HST negatives, as I want to push the envelope as far as I can.

Enjoyed the techiques though, and I will still use it to try and get my squat PR 140 Kg!

Back