My training log

Had to Google it. Uni QLD? Looks awesome, nice facilities. Guessing it's where you train? All the courts and lifting room look good. A tad too far for me though...

I'm looking at devicing a hypertrophy geared ol program, just for a change for a while. Keep the fire burning and all that.

Wed 3/6

3 snatch pull + 3 hang snatch + 3 power snatch
40kgx1
40kgx1

Snatch pull - 40kgx5, 50kgx5,5

Hang snatch - 40kgx5, 50kgx2,2

Power snatch - 40kgx5, 50kgx2,2

Split snatch 3 each leg - 40kgx1,1

Front squat - 60kgx10, 80kgx8,6

Lots of fun. Still early learning phase though. Started late so I cut it short and ill do push/pull assistance tomorrow morning at work.

Thu 5/6

Pendlay row - 60kgx10, 80kgx10,10,10

Dips - BWx5,12,12,8

T-bar row - 60kgx12, 70kgx12,12,8

Kb press/alternating arm - 24kgx10,10,10

Sat 7/6

C&J combo: DL + below knee hang PC + FS + split jerk (1+1+1+1)x2
40kgx1,1
50kgx1,1
60kgx1
70kgx1,1

Squat - 70kgx10, 90kgx10, 100kgx10

Snatch grip Russian dl - 60kgx3, 80kgx3, 110kgx2,3, 130kgx3, 140kgx3

Push press - 50kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx4,3

Russian dl =? Google is giving me everything from snatch grip, to romanian-like stance, to one-legged etc.

Yeah I've never heard the term before either. It's basically a stiff legged dl with the chest level with, or slightly lower, than the hips. Can be done either snatch or clean grip.

This beast of a man, Klokov, is seen doing it here as the first lift of this sequence.

I'm trying all sorts of weird and wonderful lifts whilst nutting out this hypertrophy geared ol program. Lots of fun!

Mon 9/6

Hang power snatch
40kgx5,5
50kgx5,3
55kgx3,3

Power snatch
60kgx2,2
65kgx1

Snatch combo: Snatch dl + snatch high pull + power snatch x 2
50kgx1,1
55kgx1,1

Late one again. All I had time for.

Nice work. I have found snatching has really toughened up my wrists and shoulders. Do you think you might get into doing more O-lifts?

Hey Lol, thanks for dropping by. As the resident ol expert around here, I was going to ask you to check my template out. I really have taken a liking to the o-lifts and will stick with it for a while (until next training-ADD strikes haha).

I'm self taught through books and youtube but I've got a colleague at work who's somewhat of an expert who checks my technique. My full squat snatch needs a lot of work, especially the overhead squat, so that'll be work in progress.

Just about to go out in the garage now. When finished I'll write my program up, if you don't mind checking it.

Wed 10/6

C&J
40kgx5,5
50kgx3,3
60kgx2,2
70kgx2,2
80kgx1,1 - clean only

PC + split jerk
60kgx3,3
70kgx2,2

RDL - 70kgx5, 110kgx5, 130kgx5, 150kgx5

Push press - 60kgx5,5,5

Shoulders smoked.

Ok, so here is my proposed hypertrophy geared o-lift program and some general ramblings. Anyone feel free to pick it apart as it may be waaay off!

- As o-lifts are generally heavy and explosive they recruit type II fibers = hypertrophy.
- To increase TUT I'll be using a lot of combinations and complexes.
- Assistance lifts to either remain heavy, a'la Jester, or if too much, follow vanilla HST progression.

Program

Monday
Snatch variation + assistance
Combo/complex
Back squat
Push/pull assistance

Tuesday
C&J variation + assistance
Combo/complex
Heavy push/pull
Core

Wednesday
Snatch variation + assistance
Combo/complex
Front squat
Push/pull assistance

Thursday
Off

Friday
Snatch + C&J - practice full lifts
Push/pull assistance

Saturday
C&J variation + assistance
Back squat
Heavy push/pull

--------------------------------------------------------

Heavy push/pull
Deadlift variations - conventional, RDL, Russian, pause dl snatch/clean grip
Push press, strict press, BTN push press, jerks, CGBP

Push/pull assistance
Chins, DB row, Pendlay row, t-bar row, landmine row
Kb press/swing, DB press, scott's press, dips

Squats
Back, front, pause, ohs

Core
Plank, ab-wheel, leg raises

I'm still compiling/learning snatch based and C&J based combos/complexes. I'd love to see if you guys have any nice suggestions.

Any critique is welcome!

Last edited:
I think heavy push/pull stuff shouldn't follow C&J, but rather should follow the snatch.

I wouldn't use RDL, stiff legged or straight legged deads at all.

Don't do DB rows, they'll leave you too sore.

My OL'ing buddies at UQ rate snatch-grip deads pretty highly, and obviously various pulls from a standing/mostly standing position.

Snatch-grip deads are incredible on the entire back.

Nice to see another logger doing olympic lifts.

C&J is going to destroy you more than snatch, IMO. Out of the two, it has some element of 'muscle it', where as the snatch is technique based. I also think C&J is going to be more hypertrophic (intentionally or not) and pairing the assistance work with the snatch makes more sense in that regard IMO.

Also, doing C&J then heavy assistance will eff you up for the day after ;)

I see what you mean. Either way, I'm doing some push/pull almost every day, so I'll play it by feel until I establish a set routine.

Thu 12/6

Power snatch
40kgx3,3
50kgx3,3
60kgx2,2

OHS - 40kgx3,3,3

Snatch complex - 3 snatch dl + 3 hang pull + 3 hang PSn
40kgx1
50kgx1
50kgx1

FS - 60x3, 70kgx3, 80kgx3, 90kgx3, 100kgx3

Chins - BWx10,10,10,10

Dips - BWx12,12,12,12

OHS needs a lot of work. Mainly balancing issue.
Chins and dips supersetted for a mad pump.

The amount of fatigue induced by the push/pull ancillary work has obviously got a lot to do with the kind of loads you'll be shifting. If you keep your pulls in a suitable training range (ie. no more than about 20kg above your actual lifts) and focus on positions, speed and controlled eccentrics, and not just on shifting a heavy weight, you'll be much less likely to retard progress in the actual lifts.
Playing it by ear is a good idea at this stage. See how you get on.
OHS's totally suck. :) The more you can maintain an upright torso, the easier it is to maintain balance. That requires better-than-average hip and ankle mobility so it's worth working on that too. Same thing applies to the Sots Press. (I'm guessing you meant that?)

Back