Myostatin Binders

Jon Stark

With all the new myostatin binding supplements hitting the market, I was hoping Bryan would give us an update on any progress he's making.  (In a post back at ThinkMuscle.com, I think he mentioned he'd been trying something.)

I was also curious as to whether he's using the same stuff Biotest is using.  (They say their active ingredient is a derivative of an algae called Cystoseira canariensis.  Their whole marketing spiel reads like a bad Michael Crichton rip-off.)

And yes -- I know -- Prof. X over on some other board says myostatin binders won't work (and like 99% of supplements they probably don't).  But I'd rather evaluate them on the basis of any available empirical evidence rather than appeals to authorities on the topic.  So don't bother telling me so-and-so says they won't work and I'm dumb for even asking.

Can someone give me a summer of what this does? I read it at t-mag... but #### it was so long, and I am so tired from workin out, I Just want a summer
tounge.gif

I'll give you a brief rundown.  Essentially, Myostatin is a specific gene protein that limits muscle grown.  The more myostatin that is present in your body, the less muslce [fibers] you have, therefore placing limits on how much actual muscle mass you can attain.  An example commonly used is Flex Wheeler.  His enormity is being attributed to the amount of myostatin present in his body, which is supposedly low.

The new products that have been released--Biotest's "MyoStat" and Pinnacle's "MyoVar" are labeled as myostatin "inhibitor" and "neutralizer" respectively.  There's a lot more to it, but that's the basic summary.  Whether these products work, I do not know.  The science seems to make sense, but if you present anything in the right light, and you're willing to believe, it'll make sense after a while.  I know a lot of people have been buying this stuff up, so I'll be waiting for feedback from them, and hoping for their sakes that it works.  More information from anyone who has it is welcome and eagerly desired.  Hope this helps.

Bryan, could you enlighten us? I'm already using Myostatin. Is there any evidence that this stuff even works?

I think it's a pipe dream.

Their blocker is a polysaccharide - a sugar. Since you eat the supplement, there's very little chance it will make it into your blood.

Heck. Maltodextrin, lactose, sucrose, starch, etc. are all polysaccharides. They get broken down too.

Anyway, testing for the sample in the blood would be very easy (antibody testing, ligand testing, etc.) and I see no evidence that they've done that.

Don't get me wrong, I really like t-mag. I've learned quite a bit from them, and I like their Tribex. I just think this won't work.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (El_Machinae @ April 29 2002,3:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it's a pipe dream.

Their blocker is a polysaccharide - a sugar.  Since you eat the supplement, there's very little chance it will make it into your blood.

Heck.  Maltodextrin, lactose, sucrose, starch, etc. are all polysaccharides.  They get broken down too.

Anyway, testing for the sample in the blood would be very easy (antibody testing, ligand testing, etc.) and I see no evidence that they've done that.

Don't get me wrong, I really like t-mag.  I've learned quite a bit from them, and I like their Tribex.  I just think this won't work.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What about their MAG-10? Any thoughts?

wow.gif
6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alien @ April 29 2002,3
wow.gif
6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about their MAG-10? Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sorry, bud.  No, no thoughts.

IMHO, it either works or it doesn't.  It's either a scam or it isn't.  I haven't tried it.  I haven't tried gear.  So I don't know.

I'm of the opinion that supplements should be cycled in once you are sure you've hit a plateau.  If you haven't plateaued and you gain ... you don't know if the supps helped.

What I do is go for a bit (till I know my body) and then add a supplement for some time - I'd then determine if it worked or not.

I've just added Prolab ZMA - well, not really 'added' per se. I've heard that it will help me sleep better, which is easily my biggest problem with training. Trust me, I've included many common-sense approaches to sleeping better, and so I thought I'd try a supplement.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (El_Machinae @ April 29 2002,3:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Alien said:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]]
I've just added Prolab ZMA - well, not really 'added' per se.  I've heard that it will help me sleep better, which is easily my biggest problem with training.  Trust me, I've included many common-sense approaches to sleeping better, and so I thought I'd try a supplement.
<span id='postcolor'>
I used ZMA for quite a while for this very reason. Keep in mind, it's really just the magnesium that is responsible for helping you sleep. Victor Conte's 'magic zinc' is really nothing special. It is MUCH cheaper, and equally efficacious to buy some chelated zinc and some magnesium. I've switched over and have noticed absolutely no difference(It's about 1/3 the price of the cheapest ZMA I've seen.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blood&amp;Iron @ April 30 2002,11:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is MUCH cheaper, and equally efficacious to buy some chelated zinc and some magnesium.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Is the chelation to the B6? I thought that B6 increases energy?

Thanks for the tip!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (El_Machinae @ April 30 2002,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
It is MUCH cheaper, and equally efficacious to buy some chelated zinc and some magnesium.
<span id='postcolor'>
Is the chelation to the B6?  I thought that B6 increases energy?

Thanks for the tip![/quote]
The B6 is in there to increase the absorption of the zinc(or magnesium.  I can't remember which off-hand.  Maybe both.)  Chelation, so far as I'm aware, is only something that applies to minerals.  Actually, while using ZMA I had to be careful to take it just before going to bed as otherwise I had a hard time falling asleep(Due to the B6.)  You can leave the B6 out if buying the individual components, as absorption/utilization is fairly irrelevant if you're taking large amounts of the two minerals in question(Avoiding calcium--despite Conte's claims to the contrary--isn't all that important either)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jon Stark @ April 03 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With all the new myostatin binding supplements hitting the market, I was hoping Bryan would give us an update on any progress he's making.  (In a post back at ThinkMuscle.com, I think he mentioned he'd been trying something.)

I was also curious as to whether he's using the same stuff Biotest is using.  (They say their active ingredient is a derivative of an algae called Cystoseira canariensis.  Their whole marketing spiel reads like a bad Michael Crichton rip-off.)

And yes -- I know -- Prof. X over on some other board says myostatin binders won't work (and like 99% of supplements they probably don't).  But I'd rather evaluate them on the basis of any available empirical evidence rather than appeals to authorities on the topic.  So don't bother telling me so-and-so says they won't work and I'm dumb for even asking.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I used it for 8 weeks...nothing happened accept a bit of stomach upset. Well, actually something interesting did happen. I have a heart murmur (irregular heart beat) and strangely enough, after 8 weeks of the sea weed it went away. Go figure. I did notice a slight effect on my heart rate when I first began taking it (stimulant effect), but that was it. There is evidence of some compounds that have a favorable effect on irregular heart beat, maybe this is a new one.

It didn't make me grow though. Believe me, I understand all the research (had access to unpublished research), so i didn't take it blindly.

The active compound is a sugar molecule with a sulfur group on it, so it is no surprise if none of it even made it past my gut.

Yes, I was using the same material that Biotest has.

If it ever is going to work, the active fraction must be isolated and administered in a way that bypasses the gut. Until then, odds are not very good that you will experience any added muscle growth from using it. However, I am hopeful that supplements based on this mechanism will evolve from these first generation compounds. In all likelyhood, you will see other compounds emerge with greater binding affinity and with better absorption properties.

I changed my mind about making it an HSN product because I couldn't give the guarantee that it would do what the research demonstrated...simply because there is no research. All HSN products must be backed by independant research.

Thanks for the update, Bryan.  I'm guessing quite a few others were interested to hear how it worked for you.  I mean, didn't work.  
butbut.gif

I'll be calling Biotest for a refund now! I've used it for almost five weeks. Haven't really noticed anything. Should've known. I did use their MAG-10 with good results so I thought they would be honest about this supplement as well. Makes me wonder about alot of things they sell. Like T2, Powerdrive, etc. I taken them all. I guess they got rich off of my dumbass! :mad: Thing is, I really do get better pumps with the MAG-10 as well as a little acne (yuk) so something is happening. Hopefully it's making me grow also.

I bought Tribex for myself and Methoxy for a bud. We were guinea pigs.

He said that the Methoxy made him feel &quot;hot&quot; at night. But since he went on Hydroxcut two weeks later (and two weeks before the bodycomp) - I have no idea how effective it is.

I don't really like the way Methoxy increases LBM. It seems to cause nutrient retention in the cells - but this sounds like it would fade after the product was discontinued.

Methoxy as sold by Biotest (was it?? I can't remember,
and forgive me as I am too lazy who sells it)
had bad, bad reviews. Few claim that it works,
but negative reviews (at elitefitness.com)
outnumbered the good.

I tried MethoxyPro (by Cytokinetics, I think, but
don't hold me to that). Expensive and
useless.

Tribex also had mixed reviews -- I think more bad
than good -- which convinced me not to buy it.
There is supposed to be a stronger version (fuzu was it? It
has a weird name ...) of that supplement.

Yeah, methoxy is worthless IMHO. I tried the GEN product, the Cytodyne methoxy protein powder and Biotest's new Methoxy-7. None of them did anything.

Tribex-500 seems to work on me, anyway. As for Syntrax Fuzu, it didn't do anything for me. I tried it after I tried Tribex-500 and it didn't do anything.

A little OT, but I tried Tribex-500 for a while during my first cycle of HST.  I saw some increased oil on the skin and a little acne.  Another thing that happened was that my wife got pregnant.  The kicker is that we weren't even trying, and were in fact trying not to
wow.gif
 (although we are very happy about it).   I'm not sure if the Tribex was responsible or not, but we hadn't ever had a slip in 7 years together.  Hmmm.....

Back