Nat Enquirer buys FLEX magazine

Bryan Haycock

Administrator
Staff member
WOODLAND HILLS - American Media Inc., owner of the National Enquirer and Star, has agreed to buy Weider Publications for $350 million in an effort to broaden the tabloid publisher's persona.

Along with its owner Evercore Partners, American Media will oversee Weider's line of health-oriented magazines including Shape, Muscle & Fitness and Flex. Of the approximate six bidders courting Woodland Hills-based Weider, American Media had been pursuing the company since September. The acquisition, subject to regulatory approval, is expected to close in the first quarter of next year.

Or the training routine learned after years of alien abductions. Get in a good workout after the probe. :D

I can't believe the Master Blaster compromised the integrity of his amino acid six-pack and elephant weight gainer for the National Enquirer. Then again, it may be an application of his Consumerconfusion principle, stacked with his Moneyforhisgrecianformula principle. Genius. He truly is the trainer of champions ( and aliens! )

is Ronnie Coleman ET?,
Jules

It will be interesting to see how this impacts bodybuilding, especially the competitive side, long term. American Media is a very "general market" sort of company. In addition to the tabloids, they publish magazines like "Country Weekly" and "Auto World Weekly". Plus, they own the largest grocery store magazine distributor in the U.S. Bottom line, it's not the kind of company that's going to have an interest in something like pro bodybuilding. I suspect they were more interested in Weider's general fitness line of magazines, "Shape", "Men's Fitness", "Natural Health", "Fit Pregnancy", and "Muscle and Fitness Hers." Also, how will ownership by a non bodybuilding oriented company affect M&F/Flex? With Weider having sold off it's exercise equipment company, it's publishing company, and Joe being in his early 80's, one has to question the future of Weider's involvement in competitive bodybuilding.

People often bitch about Weider's influence on bodybuilding, but I think everyone is in for a rude awakening if the sport's number one promoter disapears. Not that I'm a fan of Joe or his company, but it's hard to deny the important role they've played in bodybuilding's evolution and continued existance. If you think Weider is bad for bodybuilding, just look at the rest of the industry and think what they might do in Weider's place.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you think Weider is bad for bodybuilding, just look at the rest of the industry and think what they might do in Weider's place.

It can be argued, though, that Weider invented all the methods the rest of the industry uses. :)

Honestly, I doubt it will seriously affect professional bodybuilding. BBing has sort of splintered into the "freak" territory, which has literally become a "freak show", and the "fitness" mainstream population. Weider's variation of the men's magazine format was brilliant. You figure men who are or aspire to be "cool" probably take care of themselves, consider themselves athletic, and want new tips on sex and dating. Who would you take advice from snooty GQ, frat boy Maxim, or "we can turn you into Brad Pitt" Men's Fitness? In that respect, much like Bill Philips now, I think Weider has been good for the industry.

I would be happy if a change in ownership were to push professional BBing away from the freak look. BBing was once about aesthetic perfection, now it's about testing the limits of the human body, in size and health.

But some prefer it that way; consider it more pure.. Whom am I to argue?

cheers,
Jules

If Weider's not in the mag. business, then he's arguably not the sponsor any more for big events like the Olympia. Could really be the death of "pro" bodybuilding unless somebody else comes along with deep pockets and a method of promotion.

d.

The mags would still need a representative, or "front" for their people, the Mr. Olympia contest. If not the publisher, than a joint effort of sponsoring supplement companies.

cheers,
Jules

Back