Nausea and Vomiting

savagebeast

Lately, whenever I train using high reps (10 or 15) I get nauseous. Today I threw up after my workout. I know that my volume is within reason, so that's not the problem. I also know that the usual cause of nausea is the lactic acid caused by high reps. However, I used to be able to handle it. During my very first HST cycle, which was about a year and a half ago, it wasn't a problem at all. No nausea. None, nada, zip, zilch. But now it's gotten particularly bad. I pretty much can't get through a 10 or 15 reps/set workout without feeling nauseous by the end.

I can think of 2 possible causes.

1. The gym isn't ventilated well enough so I'm not getting enough fresh air. I pretty much always feel better once I step outside after finishing my workout and any nausea goes away quickly. I can't really change this, though...
dozingoff.gif

2. I'm not exactly in the greatest cardiovascular shape right now. I was in much better shape during my first HST cycle, thanks to soccer. Maybe if I was in better cardiovascular shape nausea wouldn't be such a problem.

Any suggestions, advice, comments?

Looking at factors that contribute to nausea when exercising it could be a host of things. One of them being CO (carbon monoxide) levels in the gym.

CO levels can impair anaerobic threshold causing you to reach your threshold sooner. Even CO blood levels of 2% have been shown to impair anaerobic threshold levels by 4 to 7%. Once you get outside and stop the anaerobic exercises it diminishes for two reasons (possibly) 1. you aren't still using your anaerobic system and 2. you are getting fresh air, reducing the CO levels in your blood.  

What type of heat does your gym use, do you notice it more in the winter than summer (when the heat is on in the building), is the gym next to a gas station or anywhere where large volumes of CO are emitted.

Try a different gym for a week and see if the symptoms subside.

But it also could be something totally not related to CO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ April 02 2005,7:02)]What type of heat does your gym use

I don't know. I didn't even know there were different kinds of heat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ April 02 2005,7:02)]do you notice it more in the winter than summer (when the heat is on in the building)

I don't notice any difference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ April 02 2005,7:02)]is the gym next to a gas station or anywhere where large volumes of CO are emitted.

Nope.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ April 02 2005,7:02)]Try a different gym for a week and see if the symptoms subside.

Will do.

In my humble, non-physiologically educated opinion, it feels like my body just isn't getting enough oxygen. Perhaps this could be due to poor air circulation in the gym, meaning that everyone is breathing the same air over and over again. I'll try a different gym and see if that fixes things.

Also, maybe being in better shape would improve oxygen transporation in my body. But even if it doesn't, it can't hurt to be in better shape.

Cant comment on the rest of the points, but what used to make me sick was eating immediatly before the gym. Its not as clever as the other explanations, but it used to get me.

BTW this includes thick protein shakes and sickly, high in sugar sports drinks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian @ April 03 2005,9:03)]Cant comment on the rest of the points, but what used to make me sick was eating immediatly before the gym. Its not as clever as the other explanations, but it used to get me.

BTW this includes thick protein shakes and sickly, high in sugar sports drinks.

Yeah, that will do it for me too. But I really don't eat much in the hour or two before I go to the gym. Usually I'll have a glass of milk 10-15 minutes before I workout, but that's it. I do drink some water while working out, but I don't think that should be a significant problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. I'm not exactly in the greatest cardiovascular shape right now. I was in much better shape during my first HST cycle, thanks to soccer. Maybe if I was in better cardiovascular shape nausea wouldn't be such a problem.

Yep- that's entirely possible! Also, one thing you might try- can you work out in another gym for a day or two? Maybe get an introductory free pass or tag along as a guest of a buddy who belongs to another gym? This would help to eliminate your current gym environment as the culprit.

Back