Necessary to do seated calf raises when also doing

Rulh

I want to train both the gastronemus and solous muscles effectively. Do I need to do both standing and seated calf raises to do this, or will standing calf raises alone hit both muscles effectively?

If you only did isos then technically, yes, a seated and standing variant of calf raises would be required.

However, IMHO heavy deads and squats will effectively work your soleus muscles pretty hard and to a lesser extent your gastrocnemius muscles. If you still want to do an iso then you would probably be better off doing some kind of standing or donkey calf raise.

LOL is right, drop the isolations and hit the squats and deadlifts. Make sure you do full ROM on the squats though, no half or parallel, hams on calves. I've also gotten good results doing olympic lifts.

<div>
(Rulh @ Nov. 17 2006,01:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I want to train both the gastronemus and solous muscles effectively. Do I need to do both standing and seated calf raises to do this, or will standing calf raises alone hit both muscles effectively?</div>
Standing will hit both muscles, but if you are really wanting larger calves it wouldn't hurt to do both.

Back