negatives

david_diesel

Could somebody please clarify this for me. If you're doing week 7 & 8 as 2RMs why would you be doing more than 2 reps for one particular excersise. I'm not clear how the weight should be laid out over 6 w/o's with 2 RM.

I don't quite understand this ...

There are two approaches to the progression.

- Select a load which is approximately your 2-rep max and do 1-2 concentric+3-4 eccentric reps for all 6 workouts of this phase. This is the easiest way and should be followed for your first try with the program.

If I am understanding you correctly.

The reason this works this way is generally you are stronger during lengthening than shortening contractions, so when using your 2rm you will only be able to lift it a couple times but you can continue to put strain on the fibers by lowering it for a couple(few) more reps, this preferentially activates fewer MU's (motor units) but increases recruitment of type II fibers.

Another way is to just keep incrementing from your last 5RM wo. When you get to where you can not control the lowering speed (2 secs or so) then stop progressing and continue the rest of your workouts at this weight.

I understand now. I posted this late last nite and when I read the article about negatives in the FAQ i just didn't make much sense to me. It's clear now tho. Thanks for the help. ;)

Back