New Member...excited about starting.

aspengc8

Afternoon all! Just want to say hello and introduce myself. I've been lifting for about 3 years now, religiously training MAX-OT philosophy. I've been reading about HST for 3 days now, and I am excited to get started! I formulated my maxes based off what I was doing with MAX-OT, so Im all set.
Quick question, Im basing my routine of the one shown here,
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html
Should I perform 2 sets for squats or 1 like suggested? Also, thoughts about subbing in barbell curls for the dumbell, or maybe alternating between the two on different days?

I started my first cycle a week ago so I'm still new, but I do 2 sets for Squat and as for the biceps I just do barbell curls, but dumbell curls will work just as well. I don't plan on alternating, I will just do barbell curls throughout the entire 8 weeks. I don't think alternating is necessary at all.

Welcome to the forums! Remember, HST is not about how many sets and reps. It is about sticking to the principles of HST. You don't have to do the exact # of sets on the sample schedule. If you are doing a M/W/F schedule, anything around 18 sets or less per workout would be fine.

I usually do 2 sets for squats, as I do with all my "big lifts" (dips, chins, squats, and deadlifts). My reasoning is to put most of my effort into the real mass builders. I also do multiple sets for calves, because mine respond better to that.

Here is an example that include some arm isos:
Dipsx2
Chinsx2
squatsx2
Leg curlx2
inc. benchx1
bo rowx1
Militaryx2
calvesx2
absx1
shrugsx1
curlx1
skullcrusherx1

Good luck! I'm anxious to hear your results.

aspengc8, stick to the main ideas of hst and play around with it to see what works for you.

i think one thing that many do not mention often enough (which hindered my gains in the begining). you need to make sure to go slow in the begining of the 5s, 10s, and 15s otherwise you wont be doing too much. make sure to aim just a couple reps shy of failure. if you can still do 5 more reps, then make sure you go slower!

good luck man, you'll love hst. i have been lifting for about 6 years now and have found nothig better for a natural lifter!

awesome stuff,

one thing, before you start, make sure you take about 9 days off and SD (totally worth it, and a must). track your progress with some numbers and let us know how much better hst is for you then max/ot. glad to have you, you'll notice very very few people that will tell you they're not seeing realistic gains they were expecting, and the ones that aren't seeing those good gains are probably not sticking to the principles anyhow.

thanks for the bandwidth,
ephman

Back