New to HST

Yips

Im currently completing my second week of 15's using the 15, 10 & 5 rep scheme. The 15's are bloody hard work but im really enjoying them and feel absolutely exhausted by the end of my workout. However, a few times I have felt nausous, bordering on throwing up. Is this normal? I say this as I've never felt like vomiting from weight training before (I was using max-OT).

My workout looks like this (Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday)
Squats (2x)
Leg Curls (2x)
Flat B/B (2x)
Incline D/B (1x)
Lat Pull down (2x)
V-Bar pull down (1x)
Millatary Press (2x)
Rear delt raises (1x)
Tricep push downs (2x)
Close-grip B/P (1x)
EZ B/B curls (2x)
Hammer curls (1x)
B/B shrugs (2x)
Standing calf raises (2x)

Am I doing too much? Any help would be appreciated
thumbs-up.gif

Welcome Yips,

Yup the 15s can cause this reaction. It is from the latic acid. Alot of guys on the forum have reported this. had it myself too. For me it is worse when the gym is hot. Something about the squats really does it too. The old hard core squat till you puke stuff.

It should go away in the 10s and 5s.

Even though the 15s look easy -- in a way they are the hardest.

So "this too shall pass"

Bob

I find that if I allow a little extra time in between really tough exercises, that I avoid the nausea. If I have to hurry through a workout I ALWAYS get nauseous -- even if its the 10s or 5s.

Thanks Bob,

Initially I thought... 15's you beauty, how easy will they be? Pfft wasnt I wrong, they take absolutely everything out of you. To be honest the squats havent done it to me yet probably because I do legs first but later on during biceps, shoulders is when I really start to feel nausous.

Is the volume okay with my workout? I thought that I was doing too many sets for each body part?

Im really enjoying the change from Max-OT to HST... This is the first time I've used a full body split program and it certainly is hard work.

You do seem to be doing a lot of work for some of the smaller muscle groups -- biceps and triceps in particular.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (semajes @ May 16 2005,3:44)]You do seem to be doing a lot of work for some of the smaller muscle groups -- biceps and triceps in particular.
Maybe cut it back to 2x sets per workout for biceps & triceps? I was thining of doing that though I didnt think 6 totals sets per week was enough.

for 15's 1 set should be fine.. during 10's go ahead and make it 2 if you want. the 15's also make me sick sometimes. i think if i drink a little bit to much water while working out i get sick.. i dont know exactly but that seems to be when it usually hits. HST is fun.. good luck with all your goals :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dreadrok @ May 18 2005,4:47)]for 15's 1 set should be fine.. during 10's go ahead and make it 2 if you want. the 15's also make me sick sometimes. i think if i drink a little bit to much water while working out i get sick.. i dont know exactly but that seems to be when it usually hits. HST is fun.. good luck with all your goals :D
Thanks for your advice. I just finished my last day of 15's and I arent I happy about that
tounge.gif
Next cycle I might try 1 set per exercise for the 15's cause nearly every workout I felt like vomiting at least once. HST is hardwork but I agree with you it is very fun... Fun in regard to knowing that you are giving everything that you have every workout.

I've just started my 3rd cycle 15s.

I experienced nausea and some kind of wierd feelings a couple times during my first cycle and 2nd cycle in the 15s, One time is was so bad I just went to the other side of the gym and sat down. Eventually I just lay down...I don't know what was going on. Gosh, I was thinking what a predicament I was in...next thing they'd be calling 911. Seriously, I was not sure about what my condition was, and still don't.

One of the trainers in the club just said, "I should take it easy". LOL

This cycle of 15s I'm making sure my breath has subsided to a comfortable level before taking on an additional set or exercise. I've not had any nausea, but it really has slowed me down. My wait time between sets is appx 2 but not more than 3 minutes.

I normally do 14 exercises x 2 sets, but I've backed off to doing only 10 exercises x 2 sets and giving them my best work. I'm thinking the second week in 15s may be better and I can go back to the 14 I planned. If not...I'm not gonna worry about it. I'll work them in the 10s or 5s.

I also do a complete body workout each time. Instead of proceeding as I might normally do, if my recovery between sets or exercises is going that well I mix it up by moving from upper body to lower body frequently. This gives either end a better chance for recovery.

It's been said, "Squats are evil"...SLDL should be included in that as well. LOL

The nausea is probably from throwing off your blood pH. Your muscles will be dumping a lot of CO2, lactic acid, etc., and pushing the pH towards acid. Your body has a buffering mechanism but it may get overwhelmed, especially when you are first starting.

More rest time between sets should help, if this is the cause. Mostly you just have to suck it up though. ;)

Back