NEWBIE LOOKING FOR HELP

KURT

Well, I thought I'd join in and give a brief background about myself what I am doing and were I might need some help or some lingering questions answered. I don't condon anything, I am on a correct information seeking project. I am not saying that anyone is wrong or right. I am just looking for info to help me reach my goals properly with what is best for my body and health.

First I am 37:
5'8" Currently at 174.5 Lbs
approx. 20% BF.

When I was in high school I was very physically active with a runners type body, my first couple years in Navy I measured in at 8-10% BF 160-165 Lbs. I took a 15 year physical activity hiatus.

Last Septmeber I decided to change how I looked and get healthier overall. I was about 185 LBS with about 29% BF. I hdn't smoked in 9 months and I wanted to lower Cholesteral and blood pressure through diet and working out.

I joined Bally's, which was a new test because in the past I wouldn't have joined a name brand gym for fear of how I would appear to the regulars. This time though I didn't care because it was about my change that I had to make for my future. I paid for 12 sessions with a trainer. He gave me a core workout to start with and general info about diet. I went to him for 6 sessions.

The trainer there had a 4 year degree in some kind of physiology from Oklahoma State, He trained me to work the muscle to exhaustion for max benefit. He left at end of year and I was on my own. I had lost some inches but my diet was average to slightly healthy. So I did some reading and I employed my own program for 12 weeks of 5 sets of 5 reps basic muscle groups, it was a Lee Hayward workout routine. I started to track all foods going into my body and I changed my diet to 2400 Cals with body weight in protein, 66 grams of fat, rest carbs. I chose better foods than in the past based on much info I had. My goal was to get stronger and that was why I chose that program.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

Then in Feb not fully through my personal 12 weeks I sought out the best trainer at my Bally's and he sat down with me and gave me a strict diet for fat cutting. It was very strict and eating same things every day at specific times of day. 48% complex carbs, 16% good fats and rest in protein about 35%-36%. The training sessions were to do this

Tues- Back and traps reps of 15-12-6 increasing in weight on each new set with about 2-3 minutes rest in between styaing on same exercise until completed with all 3 sets.

Thurs_ Chest and Triceps same 15-12-6; one called for 20-12-6.

Sat- Legs Killer day here he has me doing

Extensions 30-25-20 increasing in weight on all reps for all days.
Leg Sled: 30-30-30

Olympic Squats: 20-20-20

and then Flexions: 15-12-6

Sun: Shoulders & Biceps: 15-12-6

He also said that I needed to get all reps with correct form even if it meant going down in weight he said I was training my muscles to only be able to do 5 reps. "He said to work to exhaustion as well"

I have been doing this now for 5 weeks, I have seen good results in waist line and strength, I have lost weight while putting on some muscle gains. So then I hear form some guys at bodybuilding .com that working muscle to exhasution is bad? So here I am.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

1) I am trying to read all the info here and understand it mostly, sorry if the info is here but I haven't found it so I am asking newbie questions.

2) Why do trainers tell me to work to exhaustion, if this will cause my muscles harm? Would I be better to not follow what they told me and do this instead?

3) Now that I am getting toward the light on information, I am getting discouraged that I wasted money on a trainer that didn't know, and what is really best for me? Will I ever find a program that will work. And really what i ahve been doing is working for me so far.. I realize I may reach a platue but then a change up will be needed.

4) Not sure I understand the HST calculator to help me?

5) I like the exercises that I am doing and for a guy that hadn't done any training in over 15 years anything is an improvement.

6) What is the latest on stretching for body building, some say yes some say no? more confusion more discouragement....

All this aside I am determined to get my body transformed. It is info overload now at this point for me. I want to do things properly so can anyone help me?

My goal was and is this ; Cut fat while increasing strength get to 10% body fat then do a mass program.

I am in week 5 of a 16 week fuel intake plan for fat loss, while doing the routine that the trianer gave me. Any constructive info would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting ready to leave work so I won't have much time to post a lengthy response. Here it goes anyway.

If you are looking for principles that work you have found the right place.
smile.gif

Try HST and you won't regret it.

If you are looking to cut, run through a couple HST cycles at maintenance to a calorie deficit of 500 range. That should roughly be somewhere in the range of 12-14x your bodyweight.

As far as exercises go, stick to big compound lifts. Bench press, deadlifts, squats, chins, rows, dips, military press, etc.

This will get you started. Spend some time in the FAQ section and post back when you have questions.

Keystone

Welcome Kurt! I'll try to add a few things to what Keystone has said.

You sound like a guy who is willing to do a bit of swatting up on the subject. That's great. Read through the HST FAQs and 90% of your questions will be answered.

Here's Bryan's guideline for reading them:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This list of questions and answers was taken from causal discussion on this and other boards. Although 99% of this material was taken from my comments on this board, I am not the only author who's comments apear here. As such, it is easy to take some of the content out of context, so while reading through the answers, keep in mind that the answers were not prepared with the careful attention that a traditional article would be for publication. Always present any questions that might arise from this content on the HST board for clarification.-bryan </div>
FAQs
HST FAQ Book

A few points:

Working to exhaustion means that you are working to the point where your central nervous system is no longer able to cause a muscle to contract. Your muscle is as resilient as heck but your CNS is not. So you won't have been doing your muscles any &quot;harm&quot; but you will have been working your CNS pretty darn hard. (If done persistently, this can lead to a reduced ability to fight off colds etc.).

By not training to failure you are able to manage your fatigue much better and therefore train more frequently to maximise your hypertrophy potential. Of course, this implies that you are after hypertrophy!
smile.gif

If you just want to get a bit stronger then what you have been doing is okay for a while but you will plateau after around 8-12 weeks. Then what to do? Best bet is to switch to a 3 x per week, full body workout and utilise HST principles. Then control your calorie intake to produce the results you are after (ie. bulking, cutting).

As Keystone says, give HST a shot. You will not be sorry and there are lots of keen lifters here who can help you with your routine and with any further questions you may have. But do read the FAQs first...
biggrin.gif

Very Much Appreciated to you Gents.

I will do as you have said and read more on the topic and get back with any further questions!

Thanks

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1) I am trying to read all the info here and understand it mostly, sorry if the info is here but I haven't found it so I am asking newbie questions.</div>
We all have to start somewhere
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
2) Why do trainers tell me to work to exhaustion, if this will cause my muscles harm? Would I be better to not follow what they told me and do this instead?</div>
Cause' that's what has been taught for a good amount of time. I'm assuming exhaustion is CNS failure, which will drain your nervous system (you'll feel tired and weaker if you keep it up). IMO yes you should follow what's in here, but only if you trust what's being told to you
smile.gif

3) Now that I am getting toward the light on information, I am getting discouraged that I wasted money on a trainer that didn't know, and what is really best for me? Will I ever find a program that will work. And really what i ahve been doing is working for me so far.. I realize I may reach a platue but then a change up will be needed.</div>

Don't worry about wasting money. What you should focus on now is how to make the most of what you can learn here. You shouldn't doubt yourself; you just need direction. You should make a clear, concise goal of what you want to attain. From there, many people will help you in directing you towards your goals.

4) Not sure I understand the HST calculator to help me?</div>
Sorry, i haven't used that feature yet, but i'm assuming its to help you calculate and/or breakdown your weights for each microcycle?

5) I like the exercises that I am doing and for a guy that hadn't done any training in over 15 years anything is an improvement.</div>

Most exercises are fine, as long as you adhere to the principals. However, there are exercises that may give you a slight edge in certains aspects that you may want to capitalize on ie, stretch point exercises, or exercises that are less prone to causing injuries.

6) What is the latest on stretching for body building, some say yes some say no? more confusion more discouragement....</div>

Uhmm i believe Dan had some articles about those. You might want to search that. I personally don't stretch, I just warm up. I'd only stretch if I had goals in improving my flexibility. No injuries (yet..).

All this aside I am determined to get my body transformed. It is info overload now at this point for me. I want to do things properly so can anyone help me?

My goal was and is this ; Cut fat while increasing strength get to 10% body fat then do a mass program.
</div>

You can either cut first, or bulk first. Its pretty hard to do both at the same time. If you cut first, itll give you the illlustion you are bigger, and you'll feel really satisfied looking in the mirror. If you bulk first, you won't have to stress over the little things like trying not to eat much (actually you'll enjoy gorging yourself within means).

Your current goal is fine.

I am in week 5 of a 16 week fuel intake plan for fat loss, while doing the routine that the trianer gave me. Any constructive info would be greatly appreciated.</div>

Don't give up
smile.gif

Back