No need for extra core work if you squat

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
I have the best gym in the world with every machine made possible to mankind it seems.

With the exception of hammerstrenght machines (some not all)

I will take a adjustable bench and a full range of dumbells and one olympic bar with weights and get the job done.

But the other machines do break up the constant boredorm!

Quad,

I dunno. I always liked the bodybuilders with the super-hero like midsections. Then there's Dorian Yates who, despite being at contest bodyfat levels, looked fat because of his obliques. I guess it depends. My thing with the torso twisting is that I've never had a chance to really try it, to really see what it does. You can do makeshift variations with pulleys and stuff, and twisting crunches, maybe even weighted. I won't really know though until I sit down for 2 months and try the thing.

My observation with obliques is that some people have ones that look superheroesque when developed, and some people it looks like striated flesh off a zombie. Some people don't seem to get either. They have a sort of plate like midsection that creates a vertical line of separation where the obliques insert into the fascia of the abdominis rectus.

Well as you (once again) become our lab rat, try not to invoke any other additions to your routine so we can attest to the efficacy of this movement and it's results. I'll be watching and waiting on this one,
wow.gif
, since I don't do any abwork at all.
The reason is my trunk, not fat. Anyone who touches my gut (for whatever reason) is always astounded that it's mostly muscle, despite the look. I read somewhere that there were 3 types of midsections...a "roman trunk" like mine, although I couldn't find anything on the web about it, a "wasp waist" like Zane Grey, and I think the other one was some form of mesomorphic structure that was all muscle with a taper; can't remember what they called it, but "Ideal" comes to my mind. These are descriptives of a belly without fat, of course.

So, what's the consensus here? Are most of you doing ab work and if so what are you doing?

I'm doing Madcow 5x5 at the moment and the program calls for weighted situps which I haven't been doing. I didn't have any guidance on how to do them or the rep/set scheme. And as a general rule, I hate ab work and only do a little at the end of my workout if I have time. The other day I ran across coach John Christy's website and he has his trainees do heavy low rep situps with a 1 second pause at the top. There's a video of a trainee doing 5 reps of situps with a 100lb DB on his chest. The DB is held high on the chest which is significantly different than holding a plate. I think I might like these. Is anybody here doing weighted situps? What are your opinions?

The only direct AB work I do:
Squats
Standing Presses
Pull ups
Weighted Pulldowns
cool.gif

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Feb. 10 2008,04:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The only direct AB work I do:
Squats
Standing Presses
Pull ups
Weighted Pulldowns
cool.gif
</div>
Do you really consider this direct ab work or would indirect be a more accurate term? I've been thinking recently that with all the posterior chain work (squats, deadlifts, RDLs, good mornings, etc.) that some heavy ab work might be needed to counter balance this. Any thoughts on this?

Many powerlifting routines include direct abs work for exactly the reason you stated. Louie Simmons often refers to direct abs work as being essential for improving your squat. I think as long as your lifts are progressing and your form is good, there's no need to do direct abs work.

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Feb. 10 2008,05:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ Feb. 10 2008,04:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The only direct AB work I do:
Squats
Standing Presses
Pull ups
Weighted Pulldowns
cool.gif
</div>
Do you really consider this direct ab work or would indirect be a more accurate term? I've been thinking recently that with all the posterior chain work (squats, deadlifts, RDLs, good mornings, etc.) that some heavy ab work might be needed to counter balance this. Any thoughts on this?</div>
Well, I did read the what I originally posted, so why would I do direct ab work if squats are more effective? My abs and my core are functionally perfect. In addition, my orthopedist found that my right anterior cruciate ligament deficient knee was perfectly compensated by my the hamstrings which I achieved through...........tada.............................. full ATG squats.

I want in and out of the gym in under 45 minutes.

Amen.
I'd read that the best exersize for abs was squats anyway. Can't remember where tho. It wouldn't seem like it, but you keep hearing it.

Back