O&G Deadlifts...?

quadancer

I almost posted this in Icar's "talk about deads" thread, but since I'm getting ready for a 5x5 cycle, and I've never done many deads I'm on a different track than highrep.
Like O&G, I have lower back problems, and he posted that he uses a shrug bar to do his deads; a piece of equipment I haven't built or own yet.

For a temporary fix I came up with this idea, using my machine as I use it for shrugs. Using an 11" lift (the  car ramps are temporary too) to get the cradle more horizontal, I could get my arms more in line with my spine (about 15-20 degrees off) than the nearly 40 degree offset of a regular deadlift, which loads the lower back a lot.
There was still a bit of swing to the cradle, so I had to start off with 440 lbs. to get enough load on there over the mechanical advantage of the machine. And a nice touch is that the load increases  to the full weight as I come up! That makes it easier on the lower back in the beginning of the lift, but unfortunately, easier on the legs too.
I intend to get or build a shrug bar in the future and try deads with that, as O&G does, but I'm thinking this will at least get my body ready for deads of some sort in the upcoming 5x5 cycle, to add to or alternate with squats.

And the upward position of course....

Please ignore the South Georgia Redneck Powerlifting suit.
biggrin.gif

I think you're a little nutty for considering resuming deadlifts, but you're certainly inventive, that's for sure. Whaddya do when it's time for shoulder presses, throw some hubcaps on some tire irons and show jethro how it's done ? lol j/k

Good luck man, don't reinjure yourself ! Safety first

Well, my highrep squat experiment hasn't produced anything, and I'm nearing the end of my cycle, the reps just now getting down to 16-17 as the weight increases. So I'm thinking that I should try something else and O&G is the first lifter with lower back trouble I've seen doing them. I'll keep trying different methods until I find something that adds inches. I'll give each try a full cycle, unless my back screams 'no way'.

I see that the shrug bars and trap bars are anywhere from $180 - $250, so I'll probably have to build me a unit.

Unless I can find an old bicycle frame or something that will work...
tounge.gif

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Dec. 01 2006,14:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">DOn´t look up when you pull!</div>
i think you mean do look up,if you look down your more likely to round your back.
quadman i know some guys who deadlift with a t-bar (as in t-bar rows)

Look straight ahead at a point about 6 meters in front of you and maintain eye contact with throughout the pull. Don´t look up and don´t look down.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Dec. 01 2006,15:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Look straight ahead at a point about 6 meters in front of you and maintain eye contact with throughout the pull. Don´t look up and don´t look down.</div>
yes sorry pierre thats what i meant by look up.
blush.gif

I thought Pierre was right...I think I was aware of Deb with the camera or I just suck at deads. I'll focus next time. T-bar used to be my favorite. I used to put so much weight on it I had to hold it with my foot to put the last plate on to keep it from tipping. I'm trying to figure out a way to make one for the house, that won't take up as much room. They really save your back for rows. Never saw anyone do deads with one...you got me thinking again...heheh.

Update on progress: I've been doing these on alternate days for a while now and yesterday got curious as to what a real dead feels like in comparison. All I can say is I was pleasantly surprised. Evidently my back is in remission, because I put 285 on the bar for some sets of 2, and felt no pain (my back failed years ago at 240) so I did a set with 305; no pain! Not bad for a first try in about ten years! I may go big yet!

I wouldn't recommend going back to regular deadlifts. Since you have a disc injury, you should stick to machine deads or trap-bar deads. That way your spine stays more upright and there is less shear force on the spinal column. If I had a injured disc, I would hesitate to do any heavy stuff with my back bent too much. 90 degree BB rows and conventional deads put alot of shear stress on the spine...chest-supported t-bar rows and trap-bar deads are a safer alternative.

Why not stick with loads that are no higher than your 10RM rather than trying to push things up too soon? Also, why not get checked out by your doc before you do this just to see what he thinks.? You might be OK for a bit and then suddenly come a cropper which would be awful.

I had a ruptured disc when I was younger. It was explained to me that as I got older the disc would naturally toughen and so be less likely to rupture again. Now I have been lifting for a year I am feeling much more confident that it is a thing of the past but I still have to be mindful of it.

Still, at the end of this cycle I got a little bit cavalier and went for a 450lb dead. It came off the floor fast but then I just stuck there. Lower back was too weak to continue the pull and I decided to put it down before it started to fatigue.

No way should I have tried that really but I got away with it. Next cycle I will be a bit more careful with the heavy stuff. At least I know that it won't be long before a 450lb pull is doable and that my lowerback is the weak link in the chain.

Thanx guys. I'm thinking about dropping to around 225 for some full sets today and see what that does - I'm no stranger to pain in the back, but if it shows signs of injury approaching, I'll just get back to the machine style I've been doing, and maybe make a platform so I can get those dang ramps out of the house!

They do work well, though...
biggrin.gif

I just really want the full benefit of proper deads so I can shock some growth into me. I won't get stupid with it; I just hate to be a pansy about anything. And I have been doing some additional foofoo stuff for the back. Maybe that's working. I probably need to get busy with the shoulder stuff too; my right one is getting worse.

Have a look at this &quot;trap-bar&quot; pretty neat, space saving design IMO
Easily loaded &amp; don't use too much tubes (main frame could be CHS/RHS etc)

Note this aint my design - some guy in Italy (I think) had it posted on his website. Personally I'd add-in a couple of gussets/stiff'ners at the joints

Thanx DM, it gives me some ideas; easy to make too. You're right about the gussets; I wouldn't put any more than the 200 he's got on it now without them. Skipped the workout today: too much Christmas stuff to get ready, plus I'm a tech in our church. Busy day. I may be the only guy in town who works out on Christmas day!

Take a look at this trap bar used in the video.  http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/TBDeadlift.html

The trap bar dead is very much like a squat, but with much more weight.  It's not the same as a &quot;real&quot; deadlift, but if you aren't planning to be a competitive powerlifter...who cares.

Don't risk your back, but if you talk to your healthcare provider and don't go too heavy too soon, watch the form very strictly, real deadlifts can be a part of a back rehab program.

After consulting with an exercise physiologist and a physical therapist, I had my wife start imitating the deadlift movement with a seated cable row station.  Going from seated, gripping the handle at her ankles and going through the DL ROM to leaned all the way back to lying down.

Gradually she worked her way up to &quot;real&quot; straight bar deadlifts.  She doesn't pull more than 60-80lbs yet, but for a 5' tall woman with a failed back surgery, history of 22 spinal fractures, ruptured Lumbar disks between L1/L2 and L4/L5,  spondylothieisis, and a pelvic fracture...it's a damn good start.

Tomorrow, she gets her inversion therapy table I got her for Christmas and we'll see if her numbers go up.  Either way, her back is gradually strengthening and improving from slow, gradual use of the deadlift.

I'll be joining you in spirit Christmas day, but with a different workout. I lifted today so tomorrow is KF practice.

Ya, O&amp;G and I were talking about those very bars to begin with, which gave me the idea of using my machine earlier in this thread. They're not cheap tho. The one DM posted will be easier and cheaper to build if the bar lifts go bad on me. As I posted, I'm starting easy. I could probably do a 350 single, but it would probably take out my L4 if I did it now.
Sometimes I put on my VeraGripps, wrap the chin bar and just hang from it. Seems to help. Can't do it for too long though...the hands start to turn blue.

Hey, PM me on the 5x5 progress. I'm getting ready to start next workout.

It would be nice to incorporate the Excaliber &quot;Tri-grip...&quot;
cool.gif
[They do have a dual grip version too]
(not forgetting Kudos to Piedmont Design Assoc - checkout the Skunkworks area of their site for some further inspiration/design pointers (Pegasus 2 et al.))

Back