Olive Oil for calories

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And finally just a reminder that the foundations of western civilisation was built on olive oil. In the classical world it was used for eating, cooking, heating, lubrication, currency, trade, medicine and financed the Greek and Roman empires.

Indeed. Many a passage in the Oddysey exists where our great hero Odysseus is rubbed down with olive oil by fair maidens. Anointed, it says. ;)

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ectoman @ Feb. 01 2005,7:17)]So, olive oil is once again a healthy, less expensive suggestion along with fish oil capsules to get fat intake macros and EFA's back in line.
EFA's back in line?

fish oils and olive oil are rather poor sources of EFA's

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 01 2005,3:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ectoman @ Feb. 01 2005,7:17)]So, olive oil is once again a healthy, less expensive suggestion along with fish oil capsules to get fat intake macros and EFA's back in line.
EFA's back in line?
fish oils and olive oil are rather poor sources of EFA's
No way am I arguing with you Aaron ;-)

To clarify, I'm not saying olive oil has any EFA's, I said essentially that if you need fats in your diet, use olive oil for healthy fats and fish oil for EFA's. Hope this is clear.

Now, are you saying that fish oil is not a good source of EFA's? The capsules I take have a 180:120 rating. Not the best, but economical for me. I was under the impression that fish oil was a decent, inexpensive source of EFA's. If I am mistaken please explain.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZMT @ Feb. 02 2005,4:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 01 2005,9:58)]fish oils and olive oil are rather poor sources of EFA's
fish oil ?
that is mine major source of O3 I think
an important classification difference

fish oils are a excellent source of long chain n-3 fatty acids, Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)

These are not EFA's. but longer chain metabolites of one of the EFA's

The EFAs are

n-6 fat - linoleic acid
n-3 fat - alpha-linolenic acid

which are available in minute quantities in fish oil and olive oil, but neither of them are good sources of EFA's

when taking fish oils, tehre is not much point to get the EFAs from additional supplementation (not htat its 'needed' most of hte time)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 01 2005,10:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZMT @ Feb. 02 2005,4
wow.gif
)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 01 2005,9:58)]fish oils and olive oil are rather poor sources of EFA's
fish oil ?
fish oils are a excellent source of long chain n-3 fatty acids, Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
The EFAs are
n-6 fat - linoleic acid
which are available in minute quantities in fish oil and olive oil, but neither of them are good sources of EFA's
when taking fish oils, tehre is not much point to get the EFAs from additional supplementation (not htat its 'needed' most of hte time)
worship.gif

THX :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 01 2005,4:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Phew! And thanks for clearing this up.

Why not opt for rape seed oil? It tastes neutral (unlike fish oil), and it has an omega profile that is comparable to or better than fish oil, specifically regarding omega 3's. I don't know how widely available it is in the states, but in my neck of the woods, Finland, it is rather inexpensive and can be found in every supermarket.

as far as I can see USDA database shows something like rapeseed oil=canola oil (I am not sure about this one
sad.gif
sometime ago I was searching for the difference and I remember that was not the same
sad.gif
, not sure right now) and it has in 100gr
Fatty acids, total saturated g 7.100
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated g 58.900
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated g 29.600
has 0 g of EPA and DHA

also maybe it will be interesting - from Wikipedia
Natural rapeseed oil contains erucic acid, which is mildly toxic to humans in large doses but is used as a food additive in smaller doses. Canola is a specific variety of rapeseed bred to have a low erucic acid content. Canola was developed in Canada and its name is a combination of "Canada" and "Oil" (Canadian oil low acid, more precisely). The name was also chosen partly for obvious marketing reasons.

I forgot to add that it is cold pressed rapeseed oil in particular that has a great omega profile. I've never heard of it being toxic, so the citation must refer to the oil in a completely unprocessed form, or something along those lines (i.e. not the variant you find in grocery stores; cold pressed or not).

A little late here but I hear extra virgin olive oil is actually better then regular olive oil; it tastes better too. Just my thoughts...

And I use a spoonfull or two in my protien shakes, but only when I'm out of flax or fish oils.

With foods . . .? I get mine in with tuna, pastas, a pesto sauce I like to use . . . you could cook your chicken in it, you it in salads, put some in minces (burgers etc)...it's pretty versatile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 06 2005,7:27)]hi guys when do you drink your olive oils? morning before WO? or whatever time .. does it matter anyway?
every time I need this - calories
mostly with some of my protein shakes

[b said:
wow.gif
1-->
[b said:
wow.gif
1)]
[b said:
fish oil ?
The EFAs are
n-6 fat - linoleic acid
So UDOs oils are good for EFAs then? they have n-3, and n-9 (I think)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Aug. 23 2005,9:17)]will consuming oilve oil at night be bad? :D will it contribute to fat gains? or what matters is total calories?
No, no and yes. ;-)

[b said:
wow.gif
1-->
[b said:
wow.gif
1)]
[b said:
fish oil ?
The EFAs are
n-6 fat - linoleic acid
what is your reccomended source of n-6 fat - linoleic acid
and n-3 fat - alpha-linolenic acid?

Back