Overreaching really quickly, what to do?

plumpie

So a week ago I started having trouble sleeping even though I was tired. I woke up at 03.00 in the middle of the night with a BPM of 88, after an hour of browsing the internet it had gone down to 80 and I felt like sleeping again.
Is this overreaching? I've had 3 episodes of this in the past year (problems sleeping, heart beating really loud) and taking a week off lifting fixes it, but how do you prevent it?
I'm training with only like 6 exercises (row, good morning, pullups, bicep curls, leg press) for 2 sets of currently 10 3 times a week. All this while eating ~110g protein and 3200 kcals at 66kgs 183cm. Thoughts?

I'm not sold on it being caused by exercise. Regardless, if it is triggered by exercise, it sounds like you want to go and see your doctor (or perhaps, preferably, someone who doesn't know your history and won't pre-judge - line ball on whether familiarity vs non-biased is more relevant) and have a thorough check up done.

What do you mean with a thorough check-up? My lung function is above average (I have asthma so I got it checked last year), my test seems OK because it's very easy to maintain low fat, and I take supps for vitamin D/E/A/B-complex, zinc, magnesium etc. so I'm probably not deficient in anything. What else is there to test?

Your heart, adrenal gland function would be my first stops.

Cardiovascular irregularities like the ones you described, in response to exercise, is something that personally would be worrying.

66kg for your height is very low as well. I'm not sure how precisely that factors in however.

A little off topic but is there a reason you do bicep isolation exercises but no chest or shoulder work?

@AlexAustralia:
I will ask my doctor about it, maybe I have a acth secreting tumour...?
@VQ35DE:
The tendon attachement of my triceps to my ulna (the olecranon process?) has been irritated for the past 3 months or so, doing negatives with dumbbell chest press seems to be helping the repair process but can't do any chest exercises with >3 kgs, also I injured my shoulder (deltoid? rotator cuff?) doing skullcrushers. Working with my physio on it.

I have a hunch that it's all due to my circadian rhytm being disregulated, so I'm currently building a a light therapy box with 4*30W CCFL's to really sync my hypothamalus with the outside world.

I think it's highly unlikely you can make any such guess without a blood test and//or proper examination by a trained physician. Personally, the value of getting a thorough blood test and cardio evaluation is where it's at, but that's if it was me. Might be an irregular heartbeat, might just be nervousness or anxiety (who knows?) etc.

Have your thyroid checked for goiter, nodule, etc. Ask for a TSH test to get your T4 levels. You could be going hyper thyroid, which would explain this behavior. It can be triggered by certain foods and drugs, same as hypo thyroid.

THanks for the responses - I went to my doc, he listened to my heart with a stethoscope, concluded he didn't know what it was and referred me to a sports doctor, I have an appointment this week!

Back