Perfect Routine?

TennisDude

Now, I know there is no perfect routine.  But, does the actual selection of exercises, and amount of exercises per bodypart affect your gains on this program?  Is their an ideal, or closest to it, workout routine?
Like, let's say, for example, I really wanted to work on the Chest, since it was a weak area.  Would I do more exercises for the chest?  Also, should these exercises be more compound exercises, or more isolation exercises?
I am on a two week SD right now, but I do have my workout routine mapped out. Here is what it looks like, thus far:
Upper
Incline BP
DB Rows
Upright Rows
Dips
Chins
Skull Crushers
Preacher Curls
Seated Shrugs
Lower
Squats
Leg Presses
Leg Curls
Deadlifts
Seated Calf Raises
Glute Hame Raises
Decline Weighted Crunches
Seated DB Twists

I do this 6 days a week, doing Upper one day, and Lower the next.

Tennisdude

Looks ok to me, however there is some unnecessary repetition of muscle groups:

eg:
Leg Curls / Glute Hame Raises these hit the same area, why re-invent the wheel?
butbut.gif

Also, with incline B/P, ensure that you hit it with 15 degree angle no more, as that would include more of your shoulders than you care.
wow.gif

Now, your program looks fine even for a 6x/week as you are really only hitting each section 3x/week.

For weaker areas dude, I recommend suppersets, either antagonistic or post or pre exhaust, that usually "kicks butt" very well, try it out.

I'd say a compound mixed with a isolation (Bench Press vs. Flyes or B/P vs. Cable cross overs, virtually anything that feels good), the choice is your wheather to pre or post exhaust depending on which exercise you intend to do the heaviest.

Hope this helps.

Fausto

Thanks for the reply, Fausto. Now, am I even able to change my routine, since I already got my maxes for my current routine, and am going to start doing the 15s next Monday? Would I have to wait until I am totally done with this full HST cycle?

Thanks,
TennisDude

Tennisdude

I would not worry too much.

I'd just tweak as I go along.

It really depends on you!

For more ideas on weak points, I suggest the "specialization routines" thread. I did more frequent lower back workouts and it worked wonders.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ May 10 2005,8:17)]Tennisdude
I would not worry too much.
I'd just tweak as I go along.
It really depends on you!
But aren't I stuck with my routine? I am in the 10s now, I believe to have my diet in order, and seem to be stuck with my routine since how can I retest my maxes?

I also am worried that I underestimated my maxes and I will workout for 6-8 weeks with HST, only to find I didn't make any gains because of this.

Can anyone ease my worrying?
tounge.gif

Thanks,
TennisDude

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can anyone ease my worrying?
Nope, only you can prevent forest fires. ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also am worried that I underestimated my maxes and I will workout for 6-8 weeks with HST, only to find I didn't make any gains because of this.

Look, if you hit your RM and it was too easy then add some weight and do another workout or two, no big deal, there is nothing saying you can not extend the differing RM phases, if anything it would be a good thing as you would be increasing the response to progressive load. Write down your actual max then on the next go around you have it. No harm no foul.

Do I have to wait until I do my next cycle to add/change exercises?

I am just about to start the 5 RMs, and I feel I should change my routine a bit, but would this be even possible?

Thanks,
TennisDude

Well, it's advisable in most cases to reduce the amount of exercises when load is getting heavy, particulary in 5RM and further, and focus on compound movements, dropping out unnecessary isolations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kfd @ June 19 2005,8:24)]Well, it's advisable in most cases to reduce the amount of exercises when load is getting heavy, particulary in 5RM and further, and focus on compound movements, dropping out unnecessary isolations.
So do like, incline bench press for the chest, squats for the legs, deadlifts for the back, and military press for the shoulders?
That seems like it would work, except how would I find my maxes for the military press, as I haven't been using that exercise for my shoulders in my current routine.
I have heard a lot that most people tend to really grow the most with 5RM and further, but how can they grow so much with only 4 compound exercises?  Even if there are more than 4, aren't isolation exercises important for hypertrophy?

Edit: And what about other muscle groups that aren't directly hit with these compound exercises, how are they supposed to grow?

Thanks,
TennisDude

TD, your problem isn't exercise selection. It's that you analyze yourself to higher stress levels which create cortisol and ends up in catabolism. The glass IS half full mate. Enjoy it. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 19 2005,12:12)]TD, your problem isn't exercise selection. It's that you analyze yourself to higher stress levels which create cortisol and ends up in catabolism. The glass IS half full mate. Enjoy it.  :)
You are probably right, Old and Grey. Fortunately, I can remain calm and collected while nervously typing.
tounge.gif

-TennisDude

For tomorrow, I will just continue with my regular routine in the first day of 5RM since I am not sure what to make of dropping the isolation exercises.

Thanks,
TennisDude

Back