Personal Question - Need some advice

jcny19x

Hello everyone, I have been doing HST for a while and I have been very discouraged lately about ever lifting again. Due to job issues and my studies, I have just started up with HST again as of 2 weeks ago: lifting on schedule, and eating a lot more than I used to in order to gain weight. However, last night I started getting sweaty palms and when I went to lie down, experienced a large heart palpitation which turned into an anxiety attack for about an hour. I just wonder if these palpitations that I am experiencing are due to my increased eating and lifting patterns(?) It scares me because working out is what I love to do, and I believe that I have to quit doing it in order to stop these horrible chest problems. I also experienced a lot of gas last night. I am new to the subject of lifting being correlated to these chest problems, so any advice or current studies on this problem are appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to consider my problem.

Joe

jcny19x

Are you taking any kind of caffeine supplements or stuff for weight loss?

If so either drop them or cut the dose in half at least.

Whilst I agree with Faz, this is not usually due to weight training and palpitations are quite common when one is taking ephedra or caffeine in excess or other supplements that increase the heart rate!

One other thing is checking if you are eating right, you may be somewhat at loss of carbohydrates post training, it is not unusual to get a little bit of palpitations.

The tumour part is probably a joke you should ignore though :mad:

However most traininig programs recommend you have your health status thouroughly checked before engaging, so that is something you should do.

Hope this helps.

Joe, sorry about the anxiety attack. I've had a few of those in my day and they're no fun at all.

Anxiety attacks are caused by life stressors, not by working out. If anything, exercise will help you manage the stress in your life. Before you decide to stop training, you should make sure that what you experienced really was an anxiety attack instead of something truly physiologically based.

If you can't pinpoint what is going on, you might think about re-tracing your lifestyle - including meals, supplements, rigorousness of your training.
Anything dealing with the heart can have serious consequences and the best advice would probably be
Best choice  - Go see a doctor
Second choice - Back off all stimulants - supplements - and training immediately and try to determine the root of your problem.  Monitor your Blood Pressure and pulserate carefully.
---------------------

thumbs-up.gif

First go see a doctor...right away.

Second is it really anxiety attack? If so dont worry there are plenty of meds that can help with that, if you get to that point reseach them b/c some have bad side effects, but thats a whole new topic.

Third if anything exercise will help your stress. It releases indorphines that makes you feel better. Make sure you are not taking in to much caffeine also.

Let us knoe how it goes.

Joe

Thanks for the responses, I have scheduled a doctor's appointment for this weekend to get checked out, I just want to be sure that weight lifting and eating to bulk is safe for my body, and if there has been any correlation from these activities to an increase of heart palpitations/stress or anxiety.

Fausto - I have not had caffeine for a while now, I always drink decaf stuff, and no sodas, etc. The only supplements I take are protein and dextrose pre and post workouts - on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will focus on consuming enough carbs after my workout now, thanks for the advice.

I never thought about having a health status checked b/c I have always been an athlete, I didn't realize that these problems can affect people later in their life.

Gripsstrength - thanks for the encouraging words. A friend of mine told me that it was the lifting that was causing my heart to enlarge and become problematic - also all the food that I am eating. I don't know what to believe now...

Domineaux - My training is pretty intense, lasting about 40 minutes, and I cover 9 exercises according to the HST schedule. I do it M-W-F.

Joe Muscle - thanks, I didn't realize that I could actually be treated for this, my family has always told me that they just come and go and so I have always just had to deal with it by myself.

I thought i'd chime in here, share some experiences.

First, im a 31 year old male and have a history of high blood pressure in my family as well as heart disease (thanks mom and dad!).

Anyway, since im getting older, I routinely check in with my doctor and do the most unpleasant thing I can ever do...a blood test!

Point being, I was also a athlete growing up, but realized I need to monitor my self as well. I guess its part of growing old.
sad.gif

Also, another thing I noticed is that if I don't eat right and workout hard, I feel like crap...utter crap. Since i've increased my calories, upped my carb and protein intake, I feel MUCH better and have already noticed a difference in size and fat loss (the wife noticed to!).

Anyway, just thought i'd share that.

Hope everything goes well.

Cheers,

Jason

jcny19x

Well I am glad it is not caffeine or other supplements, then we can rule those out!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A friend of mine told me that it was the lifting that was causing my heart to enlarge and become problematic - also all the food that I am eating. I don't know what to believe now...

Cheap advice
laugh.gif
sorry about your friend, how does he know that training enlarges your heart
laugh.gif
then the food too, my goodness that is really not advice to give a friend for crying out loud!

Jason is on to something, best advice still is to have the doc's opinion, and be careful with that too!

some docs can be rather biased and even though they know medicine they may not know a thing about working out and its mechanics!

Anyway good luck, and I am sure you will be fine, I sometimes get that but I drink very strong coffee so when I overdo it I really feel it, at leaast I know where it is coming from.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jcny19x @ Nov. 02 2005,4:30)]A friend of mine told me that it was the lifting that was causing my heart to enlarge and become problematic - also all the food that I am eating.
That's funny....your friend is partly right in one respect, though. Exercise, especially cardiovascular, does cause some heart enlargement, as has been shown in studies on athletes. However, I am not aware of any research showing that this enlargement is correlated with increased health risks.

your heart and lungs are muscles and like all other muscles need exercise,as fausto says just go to the doctor to find out if you have heart problems,not for training advice..cardio will build your heart and lungs best..but get a medical first let us know how you go on good luck :D

Back