power, compound, and isolation exercises

joe shumsky

right now, i'm using a mixture of compound and isolation exercises in my weight routine... mostly standard stuff. i want to add power moves like clean, clean and push press, etc. my question is this: how should i order the exercises within each workout? i.e., a pre-exhaustion scheme with isiolation, compound, then power? or a post-exhaustion scheme with power, compound, then isolation? which of these systems would work better and, more importantly, why?

Joe, there are a lot of people who believe in pre-exhaustion. Personally, i do not. When the bulk of your training is with compound type movements, pre-exhausting one or two of the many muscles that may be involved doesn't make any sense to me. It compromises your ability to maximally use all the muscles during the compound lift. I would save the isolation movements for last.

I would think that power-compound-isolation is def. the way to go. Power exercises require the most concentration and 'effort', and are the most dangerous(potentially) if not performed properly, which is more liekly to happen with pre-exhaustion.

Back