Power Cut - Cycle #9

<div>
(colby2152 @ Apr. 17 2007,14:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It turns out that I was sick for two weeks with a bacterial infection in my stomach. Medicine has cleared that up and I feel fine. I plan on going back to the gym come Thursday. I am going to restart my 10's, but should I start creatine yet? The dehydration after being sick and dehyrdrated for that long may not be a good thing.</div>
That sucks! I hope you didn't lose too much weight.

You should be able to tell when you are hydrated again by the bounce back in weight gain.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My doc gave me this advice when I came back from a stomach bug, and I'll pass it on to you...your muscles/tendons/ligaments will have residual weakness coming off the sickness. The virus actually attacks these structures, so during your first couple of workouts, don't go heavy at all...your risk for injury will be much greater. I'd start with a full week of 15s, first. </div>

I am lifting tomorrow - very light 10's. Thanks for the tip.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
That sucks! I hope you didn't lose too much weight.

You should be able to tell when you are hydrated again by the bounce back in weight gain.</div>

I am just getting back into a normal diet, so I will not start the creatine until at least next week or maybe the week after that. I stepped on the scale today, and the results were surprising of how much weight I lost.

Two Weeks Ago: 237
Today: 227

I feel most of it was fat as my gut got smaller and my face is a bit more chiselled. (sp?) It's a guarantee that I did lose some muscle with loss of strength being the major problem. I will be eating at maintenance this week, and finish off with a slow cut.

I waited till this week to get back in the swing of things. Being sick took two and a half weeks out of my cycle, but that will not stop me! I am feeling pretty sore from yesterday's lifts...

10 Rep Sets
2 x 200 Deadlifts
3 x 250 Dips (bw included)
3 x 120 Rows
2 x 20 Arnold Press (20lbs per DB)
2 x 180 Calf Raises
3 x 35 Cuban Presses

The Cubans were noticeably a lot tougher. I had the cluster the second set of deadlifts. I think the weight on the Dips was a bit high as they were a replacement for bench press which is always taken at the gym (there are 12 benches too!)

Here's my strategy for the rest of the cycle. Eat near maintenance for this week and slowly cut there on afterwards. I have four weeks till I graduate and head back home, so that's four weeks at the gym. I will do two weeks of 10's and two weeks of 5's. Creatine supplementation starts next week.

Also, I am taking Squats out of my routine! Reason being is that I had to change my entire wardrobe once again for pants/shorts. My family is cursed with Schaeffer thighs, and mine have the size but not the strength in the quads. I cannot train for strength without having noticeable size added. I even thought of doing squats without progression, but the temptation to lift more would probably set in. The only thing I am worried about in the future is the balance of my hamstrings and quads and ripping my knee apart during sports. Any suggestions are welcomed concerning my disposition with squats. Thanks.
rock.gif

<div>
(abarlament @ Apr. 24 2007,11:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">WTF are Schaeffer thighs?</div>
I was waiting for that one...

Schaeffer = my last name, of German descent, hence nautrally very big thighs

<div>
(abarlament @ Apr. 24 2007,16:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, I'll have you know, I'm not completely lazy, I did google it before I asked
smile.gif
</div>
LOL, I can see you didn't find much...

<div>
(colby2152 @ Apr. 24 2007,11:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Any suggestions are welcomed concerning my disposition with squats. Thanks.
rock.gif
</div>
Do front squats or squat cleans.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do front squats or squat cleans.</div>

The problem is not with the exercise, but the muscle growth in my already huge legs. The only thing I worry about is an unbalanced proportion between my hamstrings and quads. That is how athletes blow out their knees with ligament injuries.

Squats have been forgotten everywhere but in my warmup. I think I need a better stretching routine for my lower back. Anyone have some input there?

Good news... strength is coming back fast and I started creatine supplementation today.

It's been a good week so far...

I pounded out 10 reps of 225 lbs on deadlift yesterday and today. I tried to add 10 lbs and do another 10 reps, but I only managed 5. Skin on the underside my ring finger (no ring here) got caught in my grip and it hurt real bad. My gloves have open fingers, so the area is exposed for a situation like this. Anyone else have problems like this?

I'm still looking for a better stretch routine for my lower back too..
cool.gif

I mentioned front squats and squat cleans because the loads with be lighter than with back squats. The lighter loads should not stimulate growth.

Thanks Leige, but for now I am just cutting out squats outside of warming up.

First day of 5's went well today. Hopefully I will be able to test my RM's at the end of next week - still taking creatine and hydrating all the time.

I am going to once again try to use straps this week for deadlifts. I don't want to have my finger pinched like it was last week.

Third time's a charm... does anyone know of a good stretch for the lower back?

Thanks,
Colby

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Third time's a charm... does anyone know of a good stretch for the lower back?</div>

bump?

Hey Colby

Don't know how your program's going, but I thought I'd say I ripped it off for my current (cutting) cycle. I'm having great results, and really enjoying it, which is a first for a cut.

Chris.

<div>
(ChrisHouston @ Jun. 06 2007,12:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Colby

Don't know how your program's going, but I thought I'd say I ripped it off for my current (cutting) cycle. I'm having great results, and really enjoying it, which is a first for a cut.

Chris.</div>
That's great to hear... after some layoff and caloric increase, I am back at a cut, but with a psuedo HST-HIT mix. I am afraid to call it a cycle, but at least I am lifting.

Back