Pre-workout insulin spike

Arbitro

My understanding of taking carbs pre-workout is to provide energy for the exercise, reduce muscle glycogen depletion and reduce cortisol release.

My question, then, is that if assuming we do take pre-WO carbs, do we want to avoid an insulin spike releated to high-GI carbs such as dextrose, malto, etc. and use lower-GI carbs instead? OR is an insulin spike pre-WO desirable?

This is something causing me some confusion as of late, due to some conflicting research & discussion info I'm finding.
Thanks in advance.

I guess it would depend how soon before your workout you eat your meal. If you eat it with a good amount of time before, then it would make more sense to take carbs that take effect at a slower rate. But if you're out of time, then it would make more sense to eat carbs with a higher GI so they can take action more rapidly and you have energy for your workout.

bump.

I understand the timing, what I'm trying to reconcile is whether such a spike is desired/good, or not, pre-workout.

It is the insulin the favorably alters the hormonal response to your workout, not the elevated glucose.

So high GI carbs taken right before (or sipped throughout) your workout are desirable.

Back