problem area, help w/workaround

david_diesel

Guys
I have a herniated disc between L4 and L5. I have always squatted using a lighter than average weight because of the strain it puts on my lower back. When I tested this morning for my 10RM on squats I was reminded why I don't usually push the limits on this one. What do you suggest I do. I start to feel pressure in my lower back area when I squat with a heavy weight. I NEED to do legs but the only way I can train them at my gym is Squats and Leg Extensions. Help please...what do you all recommend?

I would suggest the leg press, but there isn't one in your gym... So, start very light with squats (20 or more reps) and follow normal progression up to a point where you are still comfortable with it (maybe 8-10 reps?). In other words, normal progression but more reps, so that the weight is never too heavy. Find a rep scheme that suits your needs and stick with it for squats (20, 15, 12, 10, 8 or whatever).

If you still feel it is too dangerous, use leg isolation exercises instead (extensions, curls) with normal weight progression. It may not be squats, but surely it's better than nothing at all...

Yep, high rep ATF squats with low weight and maintain safety level then once the maximum safety has been reached keep it there!

Alternative:

Lunges

Wow, I never though about using a different rep scheme. I'm really starting to like this HST program. It seems very versatile and it always seems like there is a workaround when standard protocol doesn't fit. This is much unlike other routines I have used, I think I just have to get used to thinking about working out in this NEW fashion.

Thanks again, you guys rock!!!!

Hello :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm really starting to like this HST program. It seems very versatile and it always seems like there is a workaround when standard protocol doesn't fit.
Well, that's because HST is actually a set of principles (based on research, not myth or BB folklore) that can be practically applied to weight training. So the basic program recommended isn't really "The HST", but rather a very simple, effective, one-size-fits-all application of the HST principles outlined by "The Bryan".

Regards, good luck! :)
-JV

My humble advice would to stay away from any exercises that causes you any pain, period. There is no reason to risk your self with further more permanent serious injury. Especially, if you aren't planning on making a living powerlifting or bodybuilding.
Although, the squat is the king of all leg builders, it is certainly not the only one. Isolation exercises can absolutely build mass on your legs. In fact, Bob Chicherello only does leg extensions, and curls. There are lots of fun ways to train legs on a leg ext or curl, especially if you have the plate loaded ones like the ones Hammer Strength makes, because you can really pack on the weights for negatives and static contractions. I personally, have added a lot of quad mass by employing only the Hammer Leg Ext. doing stuff I mentioned like static contractions, negatives, drop sets, supersets, and any combination of the following. If the gym you go to only has a leg extension and a squat rack, you might want to consider switching to a gym that has a variety of leg equipment to suit your needs.

But thats just my 2 cents
thehamma

Hammer:
I think that in the future I will be switching gyms. When I made the decision to start HST, I made the decision to use the equipment I have used for the past year, since I didn't want to be fooling with finding RMS, working a new routine, AND trying to get used to a new gym. I think that once I'm done with this cycle and I have a feel for it I am going to switch gyms. Wifey said if I'm good there may be a gym membership in my stocking this year for X-mas.

I will do what works, In the past I have shyed away from heavy squats because of the irritation to my lower back. My chiro would shoot me if she found out I was putting a bar across my shoulders after she's been trying to s t r e t c h my spine with traction for the past three months.

You guys have opened my eyes to all sorts of new methods to train myself. I don't think I'll have any problems. Thanks again for all your help.

David

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You guys have opened my eyes to all sorts of new methods to train myself. I don't think I'll have any problems. Thanks again for all your help.

We are glad to be of help, actually since I've joined this site > 3 years ago all I got since then was help, so I learn't to do the same since I have been around gyms for a while
tounge.gif

We hope you get around the back issues and get legs soon mate, yep cahnging a gym would be a good idea, personally a gym that has so little equipment is not the real thing, so give it a miss soon and get into something worthwhile where you need to sit and work out whre to start
laugh.gif

Cheers
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, that's because HST is actually a set of principles (based on research, not myth or BB folklore) that can be practically applied to weight training. So the basic program recommended isn't really "The HST", but rather a very simple, effective, one-size-fits-all application of the HST principles outlined by "The Bryan".
I was about to say the exact same thing. Solutions come naturally because with HST one does not have to stick blindly to a prescribed number of sets and reps. Rather, they learn about the way muscle grows in reality and then they apply this knowledge to their training. In fact, thinking outside of reps and sets really helps someone understand the principles of muscle growth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are glad to be of help, actually since I've joined this site > 3 years ago all I got since then was help, so I learn't to do the same since I have been around gyms for a while
I'd like to second that, being on this board for a couple of months has been more beneficial (in terms of knowledge about muscle growth) than all my previous years of training. It's really unbelievable "how deep the rabbit hole goes", regarding misinformation and hype in bodybuilding circles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]misinformation and hype in bodybuilding circles.

Yeah, we here steer away from such non-sense
laugh.gif

It is indeed amazing how much crap soime sites get busy with
crazy.gif

Back